main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Rian Johnson on Star Wars: ‘There was something really beautiful about the prequels’

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by GuardianSoulBlade, Oct 20, 2015.

1. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    But back on topic, I hope that LucasFilm will at least be balanced in hiring directors for all these anthology movies, if they just get people with anti-PT bias, it's gonna show no matter how much they'd insist it wouldn't.

2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

I'd like to see the Star Wars fan base evolve to that level.

3. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Well, I can't relate to your football thing because I am an American and we follow a different football here.

Also, Pegg loves 50% of Star Wars. I love 100%. Not saying he is not a fan, but he is more of an original trilogy fan. I love all of Star Wars. As Kyle Newman says, Pegg essentially grades the saga an F....50%. Just sayin.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

4. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    You've helped in my evolution as a fan. Like iron sharpens iron, we can help each other encourage courtesy in our disagreements.

Darkslayer, TX-20, Pensivia and 2 others like this.
  5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

WOW! Really? Very nice to hear. And, yes, indeed. :)

6. sonnyleesmith

Apr 29, 2014
    I'm an American also, but I grew to love soccer as I've traveled a bit and have many international friends. I'm a hardcore Bengals Fan so I would submit my Steelers friends as comparable.

Regarding fandom, I'm in the same boat as only liking 50% of the film's but I'm still a 100% fan. It's like comparing me to Beck. He plays 20 instruments but I play only 7. Are we both not musicians? We're just different.

TX-20 likes this.
  7. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    Cool about soccer. Whatever sport you like and floats your boat is cool. My brother in law likes soccer alot, it's his 2nd favorite sport behind American football.

As for Pegg, he does like 50% of the movies so he grades the saga essentially as an F. It is what it is.

That doesn't mean that he or even you are less passionate about the movies you guys DO like in the saga. Just means you grade the saga overall as an F.

I would also say, you are original trilogy fans, not fans of the saga.

Star Wars fans? Yes I would say that, since the OT is Star Wars. But there are also 3 Star Wars films you don't like

EDIT: By the way, I am a die hard Steelers fan (my father's side is from Pittsburgh) But I live and grew up in Columbus, so also a die hard Buckeye fan. Can't wait for the games this weekend!

Darkslayer and Prisic Duskleap like this.
  8. sonnyleesmith

Apr 29, 2014
    Yep, that's accurate. But like Soren Kikergaard once said, "If you label me, you negate me." *

* Wayne's World reference.

9. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    I justed edited my last post re: my football fandom.

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I actually wouldn't mind seeing someone who's maybe not excessively fond of any Star Wars given a chance to direct one. Might be interesting to get something that feels more like an "outsider's" take, especially if Disney sticks to the film a year.

11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    In response to comparisons of Pegg and RLM

Openly fighting against RLM is moot, currently. They have nothing to do with the ST or future of SW in general
    Pegg appears in TFA and apparently gave JJ some "advice" on filmmaking for it. He affects it and for some, that sets off some alarm bells

12. sonnyleesmith

Apr 29, 2014
    O-H!

It's discourse like this though that make these boards a delight to participate in.

Darkslayer and Luukeskywalker like this.
  13. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    I wish Pegg would come at Star Wars the same way, but he doesn't. His behavior is consistently spiteful. PT fans are really just defending something they like. This "too much" pro-PT is just a direct response to YEARS of anti-PT sentiment. Call it karma or the Force balancing itself out, but it's not going away. I feel for those, like me, who like the PT because they're not being engaged in friendly trash talk. They've been consistently bullied since 1999. Now they're being told to "shut up about it" because it's "annoying". Well, POOR YOU, PT-haters who have been pandered to for so long! Being so sorely put upon by people who are fed up with being bullied. Forgive us for "overreacting" when a director says one nice thing about the PT. You know why we're "overreacting"? Because we get SO LITTLE OF IT.

I wish JJ had taken a page out of that book. TFA should have been a big step in bringing PT AND OT fans together again. But he chose a cheap Jar Jar joke instead. Marvel Comics has shown more class than JJ and Co., showing that the PT and OT can live together both peacefully and beneficially. Which is what Star Wars should ALWAYS be.

14. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    I-O!

sonnyleesmith likes this.
  15. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Jedi with a TARDIS - yip - that had to be said.

Also, it's nothing to do with who likes what percentage of the films, it is how you treat others who like what you don't like simple as that.
    Like noticing that in a forum for fans of the PT, someone is happy with someones positivity, and then trying to stamp on it and pulling off it's head like someones favorite doll.

General_Kenobi896 and Pensivia like this.
  16. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    When was the last time RLM released anything about the PT? Genuine question, I have no idea. I thought it was all years ago.

17. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Perhaps not even RLM itself so much as

SW fan: "I love the PT"
    Steretypical 'hater': "It sucks though"
    fan: "That's your opinion"
    hater: "Check out the RLM reviews, those will tell you why they suck"

You'd be surprised how often that interaction goes down

18. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    Yep, exactly. Usually that happens online. But once I was at a party and the subject of Star Wars came up. Of course a few of the guys were haters. One of them pulled the RLM card as the be all end all word on the films. I flat out came back at him with the 108 page essay and told him it point by point picked apart the RLM review and proved it to be a fraud. I told him to check that out. I don't think he knew how to respond. Priceless. LOL

19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Ok well that's not RLM not "letting it go". They probably never give the PT a second thought any more.

20. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    The only thing I have to say about that is that RLM has given the PT enough thought to fully write and produce a 90 minute long video review of EACH of the 3 prequels. That is 4 and a half hours of reviews! Plus I know they have devoted other shorter videos to ripping on them in ther Half in a Bag series, or whatever it is called.

Yeah, they haven't given the prequels the time of day.

The prequels are the only reason why ANYONE even knows who they are. The prequels in an ironic way have meant EVERYTHING to them and their success.

21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    All true, I just wouldn't say they won't let it go. What are they supposed to do, scour the internet & remove every last video & comment about it?

22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    But Hayden can't act. He has this voice and facial language that comes off as silly whenever he acts. It's evident in every film that he's in.

TX-20 likes this.
  23. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Well he did win a Razzie for each prequel, so some would agree with you but many wouldn't.

24. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Can't tell if satire of typical bash or expression of legitimate opinion

25. sonnyleesmith

Apr 29, 2014
    I've watched almost all their Half in the Bags and I can think of one instance where they even mention something. It was "that's gonna be great"

It may have made them famous, but they've moved on.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR and TX-20 like this.