main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Allegiant General Pryde/Richard E. Grant in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jul 27, 2018.

1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Time travel exists in the Star Wars universe and the galaxy far far away is the Milky Way!

2. Darth Saddius

Darth Saddius Jedi Knight

Dec 24, 2015
    Perhaps the scene was along the lines as follows: 'War is not a game of cricket you Resistance schweinhund. Now...you vill tell us ze location of ze new resistance base or I shall be forced to use, shall ve say a more unpleasant method of kvestioning you!'

Actually Hugh Laurie in Blackadder series 2 mode would be good for this sort of thing.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The end of IX: Rey walks along a beach and finds...the Statue of Liberty.

4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    ...and Chewie scratches his head and starts to remember....

5. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Or scratches somewhere else...

6. Darth Saddius

Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Grant played The Scarlet Pimpernel in the 1990s (a British spy in Napoleonic France), and was superb. If he could do something similar, it would be fantastic.

Lost_Hope likes this.
  8. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    From the interrogation sides he read for his audition and his meeting early with Daisy and JJ it sounds like perhaps he's an antagonist that interrogates Rey in some form or fashion.

9. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I think that's more likely then him coming back to play her drunk dad in a flashback. It seems like the only reason to bring back her rando dad would be to have Rey come to terms with her feelings about her lame parents which they could do without Grant playing her dad.

It seems like if they were going the reconciliation route they would've introduced Rey's rando dad in one of the first two movies, they would've shown him and Rey to have a crap relationship, and then in the last movie they would bring the dad back to show a more loving side of him. I swear I wrote that last sentence without thinking that that's probably what they'll do with Rey and Luke in Ep. IX. Hey-o!

All that said I wouldn't be surprised if Grant ends up being a good guy...or at the least somebody who isn't a member of the FO. Maybe he's somebody that Rey is trying to convince to help the Resistance and he's not having it...at least not at first.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  10. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I agree with the Mustache here, I actually don't think he is going to be a First Order guy at all either. Perhaps he is a member of that Church of the Force outfit we have introduced to?

My wild speculation would be he's Eli Vanto who has returned to the Galaxy of behalf of the Chiss Ascendency. Age wise I think it works, Eli would be about 60 I think? But that is my dart throw.

11. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    He's a very regal kind of a guy, I think he may want to find out where his Rathtars got to.

12. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah my first thought was that Kylo would demote Husk and replace him with Grant's character, (and I still think that could happen), but at the same time it seems like it might be more likely for the Resistance to be interacting with new characters more than the FO since the Resistance are in small numbers and need to reach out to others for help. Grant could be somebody they reach out to.

I could imagine a scenario where Rey is looking for Grant but then a mysterious group attacks and captures Rey and her friends. Turns out the mysterious group works for Grant. Rey explains that they're the Resistance and they need Grants help. Grant makes a glib joke about how they obviously do need help considering how easy it was for his troops to capture them. Eventually we'll Grant and his forces team up with Rey. Or I'm totally wrong.

13. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    @The Regular Mustache

The Resistance/New Rebellion needs more than what Lando can muster, they need an alliance of other worlds. Does this include somewhat nefarious characters such as the Hutt Crime Cartel and Warlords?

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  14. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Probably and it could be a way to set up future movies. Maybe a crime lord tells the Resistance, "we'll help you out...for now" and then after the FO is over we'll see that crime lord suggest they're going to make a power play soon.

Django Fett likes this.
  15. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Another possibility would be that of him being the Watto of the film, in the sense of having 'books'. There was an orphanage in Jakku, by the eremite valley ('wadi' in 'wadi rum' means valley, by the way). The theory would be that of Rey's 'parents' leaving her there and the filthy junk traders coming afterwards and selling her to Plutt, and erasing or modifying the records and little Rey mixing both groups of people.

In this way, both Rey ('[my family] will come back some day') and Ben/Kylo ('they were filthy junk traders') would be right in a sense.

Lor San Tekka played his part in finding Luke, and perhaps finding Rey's people will be just another puzzle (map) to be assembled in IX.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  16. fuhry

fuhry Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2015
    Yup, I'd say Grant is going to play Rey's drunken dad, who runs a merry band of rebels. One of his soldiers calls him Korkie and he says 'Don't call me that'. And there you have it!

17. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Richard E. Grant: 'I got sent a 10-page generic sort of, I think, it was an interrogation scene clearly from a 1940s British B picture [...] And then I got a call from my agent saying, ‘Oh when you go to Pinewood Studios, are they going to send a car to pick you up?[...] J.J. was sitting with Daisy Ridley and said, ‘Hey! Great. Come in. So you’re gonna do it?’ and I said, ‘Do what?[...] I’m sure he was telling me in detail what part I was playing and what the character is called. I have no memory of that whatsoever. I just kept thinking: I might be in Star Wars'

Richard E. Grant: 'And he [Abrams] is as excited from day one when we began shooting on the first of August as every time I’ve intermittently seen him[...]'

So:

-He was sent an interrogation scene.
    -He met Daisy at Pinewood studios
    -He was told who the character was.
    -'We began shooting' on the first of August
    -He has seen Abrams 'intermittently' since then (these quotes are from November 4)

So Daisy know who Grant is playing since the first of August or before. Grant has seen Abrams 'intermittently' since then. Daisy, it seems, has been in Jordan since September.

We dont know anything about a)Grant talking to Rey in Jordan or b) Grant talking to Rey in Pinewood. And yet Grant met Rey, playing Daisy Ridley, in Pinewood. So b) is more probable.

If Abrams shoots in order, the closest thing we'd have would be Poe-Lor San Tekka scene, which took place in Pinewood, that is Jakku, which is also Abu Dhabi (Jakku was to be filmed in Jordan originally)

According to this analogy, Richard E. Grant and Rey would be having an exchange in Jordan and Pinewood. Who's Grant and what place is Jordan+Pinewood is unknown.

As for the nature of the 'interrogation scene', we dont know. Maybe its Rey the one whos asking the questions. Who finds who, who's searching for who? Who talks first? She talks first, he talks first?

Since in these films we see things through Rey's eyes, I guess Grant's character, if this analogy holds any water, would be the character searched for and/or found -and interrogated.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Richard Grant is Rey’s father. Confirmed.

19. Darth Saddius

Dec 24, 2015
    I have just been watching series 3 of the British Police drama 'Trial and Retribution' from 1999. Richard E. Grant plays one of the main characters in this which centres on the case of a missing girl. He is absolutely brilliant in it. What struck me was his range. The character he plays goes through violent mood swings due to a mental health condition. He is alternatively charming, pompous and self important, scary, scared, pathetic, cunning, raving insane and pitiable.

I think his range means he could be playing almost anyone/anytype in Episode IX.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  20. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    ...in his (probably) 30 seconds cameo.

21. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    He plays a character called Jim Star who takes command of a New Republic ship called the Boiling Hell. He might also have a connection to Rey somehow (uncle?).

22. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    he's her adopted Abednedo uncle and also a Knight of Ren.

Okay this is now my life. I'm going to do this in every thread

Ichor_Razor likes this.
  23. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm betting he's going to be a boil on Hux's neck.

Django Fett likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    So definitely a helmeted stormtrooper then.

25. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    why did they give him an interrogation scene? (this does make me think higher up FO officer or Resistance person, like interrogating Hux or something)

maybe he met DR because she's the main protagonist in the ST and/or she happened to be around at the same time, not because he has a lot of screen time with her