main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Allegiant General Pryde/Richard E. Grant in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jul 27, 2018.

1. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Rey: Grand Admiral Thrawn, I should’ve expected to find you holding Ren’s leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board.

Thrawn: Charming to the last. You don’t know how hard I found it signing the order to terminate your life.

PCCViking and edustarling like this.
  2. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    An old Thrawn who allies with Kylo and the FO (or tries to take it over) in Episode 9 would be kind of awesome just because of how ballsy and weird it would be. I don't want to get my hopes up, though.

Another thing is just because he was given an interrogation scene for sides, doesn't mean he is some kind of interrogator in the film. Perhaps he's the one who is captured/arrested and questioned?

Perhaps he's a Knight of Ren or FO spy who has been captured at the start of the film, and the first scene is he's being interrogated by Poe or Finn, but it's a trap, and he breaks free and all h*** breaks loose on a Resistance Base?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  3. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I dislike Thrawn so much I probably wouldn't like to see him in the movie. His Rebels character is so annoying to me for some reason. Maybe it's because Rebels makes him look like a "poser." I can't take the Rebels villains seriously so that Thrawn is supposed to be this great mastermind when he just um isn't makes him look like a poser. And of course his love affair with everyone's art is annoying as well. Poser Thrawn fancies himself an art critic and historian. I guess he's supposed to be a poser. That's the point.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, but do you think he is a poser?

5. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I'll treat this like a serious question about Thrawn. I guess I think that Thrawn is very image-conscious and has lost himself in the image he projects, even if that image shares many of his strengths/qualities. But I am not sure he is trying to impress others so much as himself (or simply to be impressive for its own sake?), so fake is probably a better word than poser. He comes across as fake because he's crafted an image to embody which he carefully maintains, and certain aspects of it ring as particularly false (like art critic/historian). But without others to observe his image or a world to bounce it off, it would have no purpose--so it isn't only about staring at his reflection in the water. He probably hates himself beneath it all.

6. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
    There's an interview with Richard E Grant in The Daily Telegraph (UK paper).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0...rview-told-play-star-wars-room-turned-upside/

Grant is quoted on the audition process for Episode IX: “I got 10 pages of script from a Forties British war film, three scenes in total, and had to video myself doing them on an iPad. Then you send it off, and feel like you’re never going to hear anything about it ever again. I got a call two months later to say a car was going to pick me up and take me to Pinewood Studios to meet the director, JJ Abrams. Which was odd, because I still had no idea what he was going to direct me as."

When Grant arrived he was ushered into a room with Abrams and Daisy Ridley "surrounded by all this Star Wars memorabilia going back to 1977" . Grant is quoted as saying that Abrams described the part and told Grant the character name, "at which point the room went upside down."

The article also claims the trailer and title will be revealed in April.

Rodie likes this.
  7. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    He was sent interrogation scenes. That can mean something, or not. If hes a villain and Rey is there, perhaps she could mindprobe him. Luke force choked Jabba’s guards in ROTJ.

8. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Where did you read that?

9. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    “Grant is quoted as saying that Abrams described the part and told Grant the character name, "at which point the room went upside down.

If this is true then he’s definitely a character of great importance. What are our options? Thrawn, Rey’s father, or ...Darth Plagueis. :p . If I had to pick one, I’d go with Rey’s father.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Count Yubnub and Jedha like this.
  10. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Must be playing either Boba Fett or Lobot. ;):p

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  11. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    That's late compared to when we got the titles for the Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. The latter, I believe, we got the title this time in 2017. The first trailer, however, wasn't until April.

12. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  13. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    He's definitely not playing Thrawn, he said so himself.

Thanks, very interesting....

14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think the reason for Grant and Russell’s characters has to do with the need for interesting older actors in the film, now that Luke and Han have passed, and Leia’s role will have to be pieced together from old footage. That makes sense to me, as I was worried about the ability of this young cast to carry the finale. While I like them, they just don’t have the same infectious magnetism as the OT3.

Jedha likes this.
  15. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Could he be playing Ezra Bridger?

16. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I don't see any similarity between him and Ezra.

17. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Does there have to be?

18. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    If someone plays Ezra he should look a bit like Ezra, shouldn't he?

19. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
  20. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    He looks like Tarkin's son.
    Grand Moff Moff.

21. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but what does a room going "upside down" mean exactly? I'm not familiar with that phrase. Does it mean the room got excited, or freaked out, or very quiet? Or...what?

22. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    He first said that he was alone in the room with JJ Abrams and Daisy Ridley, so it should be rather intepreted as his way to say that he became very emotional when he learnt he would play in a SW movie...

Oh here's another comment from Grant:

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a25980923/star-wars-richard-e-grant-episode-9-spoiler-prevention/

"It's extraordinary," he began. "They don't give you a script, you have to go to a room where there are bodyguards outside, closed-circuit television cameras, and it's printed on crimson pages so you can't photograph it. You have to read it in there, and then leave."

"You're given the pages on the day that you work, and you have to sign for them and sign out for them as well," Richard added. "There are security guards on the set."

The actor also shared that the production crew are on guard against drones as well, explaining that actors are hidden as they're taken to and from set so that no one will be able to get a picture of them in their costumes.

"They give you a cloak, over your head – because apparently they have drones going over Pinewood Studios so they try and take photographs of what people are playing," Richard shared.

We can forget about Thrawn by the way:

"Asked last year whether he'd be playing Thrawn, who made his first appearance in the 1991 novel Heir to the Empire before jumping onto the small screen in Star Wars Rebels, Richard quickly shut down any thought of that happening.

"I'm not playing the Star Wars character you just mentioned," he said. "I'm not allowed to tell you anything. Otherwise I would be fired. It's a complete lockdown on any information whatsoever." "

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  23. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Wikipedia has him listed as Obi-Wan Kenobi. I can see it.
    He looks a little bit like Alec Guiness. It would make sense if he were to appear as Force Ghost Kenobi. Which should be a certainty for IX in general.

24. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    Which Wikipedia? Not in Episode IX: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Episode_IX

25. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_E._Grant#Film
    Interestingly enough, that article was edited only a couple of hours ago to add his role in IX
    Someone got a scoop?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Mila Lazarus likes this.