main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Allegiant General Pryde/Richard E. Grant in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jul 27, 2018.

1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Where have I seen that REG look before? [face_thinking]
    This guy got it right...[face_laugh]

2. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    winner winner chicken dinner. :)

3. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Hux was really Snoke's stooge. Kylo clearly hates him.

What if when he becomes Supreme Leader, Kylo seeks out former Imperial officers who worked directly under Vader and Palpatine to help him with the FO and Hux is basically demoted.

REG could be one such Imperial. He's 61, meaning he could have been about 30 and a youngish officer at the time of ROTJ. The age fits.

Maybe there will be dialog about "how Vader would have done things," etc.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  4. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Kylo Ren: Who appointed you executioner, Redfern?
    Officer Redfern: T'was you yourself

Justin Gensel likes this.
  5. Wilhuff's Slippers

Wilhuff's Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2019
    I am a bit gutted that he's not going to be playing Thrawn but realistically it would have been a big ask to weave him into Episode 9 without it feeling a bit shoehorned.

6. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    If they were to make a big deal out of it Thrawn being in, yes, it would definitely feel shoe-horned. Maul in "Solo" felt that way for me.

But...you can easily make someone up to look like Thrawn, act like an Admiral, and never be referred to as Thrawn. Fans may squeal with speculation but the general public would go "ok, blue alien admiral. Seems legit in the new Star Wars with a tall alien Supreme Leader and probably you need a few aliens in your fascist regime to rule a galaxy - moving on."

Personally I think REG will look spiffing as a Captain/Admiral without a blue face and Thrawn won't appear. (Even though he could easily be fitted in without a fanfare).

Wilhuff's Slippers likes this.
  7. Wilhuff's Slippers

Wilhuff's Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2019
    Aye, I completely agree but I just think that from where we left off with Thrawn in Rebels it would require some kind of exposition to at least hint at where he's been and what he's been up to inbetween.
    As you say though, blue or not REG is bound to be great, I like the stuff I saw kicking around in this thread suggesting he has previously worked under Palpatine/Vader - could be a good way to potentially introduce a holocron or flashback of Matt Smith as young Sheev?

8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Thrawn.... he could just turn up. Get some exposition in The Resistance, if you need it.

For most of the audience you just say, that he's an old Empire General who has come back from somewheres. That's enough. Show some classic Stormtrooper armour and they get the idea.

So, sure. He can be Thrawn.

I like the thought of him being a Tarkin'd Sir Alec Kenobi.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think he's Thrawn but the leaked image of him is from a costume test. I don't think they'd paint his face blue for just a costume test. So he could still be Thrawn.

10. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    He was misquoted in that one story. He really said, “JJ told me the name of the character and that I’d be in a thong and the room turned upside down.”

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  11. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Son of Tarkin. Tarkin Jr.

12. Justin Gensel

Justin Gensel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 11, 2018
    Dropping those Warlock quotes. You dirty dawg!! High five man!!:cool:

Bob Effette likes this.
  13. JustASimplePorg

JustASimplePorg Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 6, 2019
    Yeah, but don't hang too much into it.

I would also love to see him in the big screen, and I also think we will, eventually. But at the end of the day I think it is better to give him a movie with a story that better suits him, than one where he is only a secondary villain in the overall scheme.

Wilhuff's Slippers likes this.
  14. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I think a Thrawn "stand alone" movie is wildly improbable. They won't even make an Obi-Wan movie, but they'll make a Thrawn movie? Nah. If he's going to be on the big screen, I think it'll be as a supporting character in 9 or a future SW movie.

Maybe after the Mandalorian is a hit, then maybe a limited Thrawn series on Disney+....

That said, I would be cool with REG being Thrawn as a surprise. At this point, some crazy curveballs like that would be welcome. Why not have Dash Rendar as an old Resistance pilot in a cameo...

But at the same time, it sort of makes sense that Kylo, once he becomes Supreme Leader, would sort of clean house a bit and demote Hux and maybe seek out old Imperial officers who knew Vader and Palpatine personally.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  15. JustASimplePorg

Feb 6, 2019
    Do you really think we aren't going to have that Obi Wan movie we all want? I really don't know, but I feel like Lucasfilm is just changing his strategy so they can have more time to develop each movie. So I still think it is a matter of time until we see McGregor again in this franchise.

As for what you say about Thrawn, I am less certain, of course. I don't think it's impossible because Saw Gerrera made the jump from one medium to the other, and Thrawn is a very important and popular character in the franchise. Maybe not a movie fully focused on him, but a story where his particular abilities serve as a main villain? I could see this happening.

And if I don't see him fit for IX (which doesn't mean he couldn't be), is because I think the main villain will be something/someone related to Kylo/Rey's story, and more directly connected to the force.

16. RootLeafICook

RootLeafICook Jedi Master

Jul 16, 2002
    If we're assuming he's First Order military, what if he's playing Nash Windrider? A number of the boxes get ticked:
    -Absolutely the kind of Imperial who'd throw his lot in with the First Order
    -Age is roughly right
    -Not quite as room-quieting a name as, say, Thrawn, but those who've read Lost Stars will remember him very well

(hello JCF, this is my first post in over a decade)

17. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    You haven't posted anything since I was five years old, that's pretty weird.

18. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Congratulations in getting thawed out of the carbon freeze.:D

PCCViking likes this.
  19. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I don't know who that is, but it sounds like the kind of name that would be created in one of those Facebook "What's your Jedi name?" memes where you have to enter your initials to generate a moniker.

20. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I'm wondering, because he's a bit older than your usual FO high-up, whether he served in the Imperial services and thus may well be looking to stage some sort of military coup against the new Supreme Commander? He would be from the same school as Captain Canady who obviously did not think too much of the youngsters in charge.

21. JustASimplePorg

Feb 6, 2019
    He is old enough to have served under Palpatine's reign.

Luckily he will put all those tarkin wannabes (Hux) in their proper places.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  22. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    After the reaction Will Smith's genie got, I don't think we be seeing Thrawn in episode 9.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    that's totally different.

24. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Could be, Lt Endicott in ROTJ and now.

[​IMG][​IMG]

chrcharcor2 and JustASimplePorg like this.
  25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bor Mullet likes this.