main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Allegiant General Pryde/Richard E. Grant in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jul 27, 2018.

1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Ben Solo is a composite of Jacen Solo. It would not surprise me at all if Grant was basically a knock off of Thrawn functionally without actually being him either. Heck, Gallius Rax sort of was as well (though more of a womanizer and obviously not a Chiss). I also don’t think he was as perceptive as Thrawn.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  2. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't really see Hux as being incompetent in TLJ. Sure, he was made fun of early on, but that also plays directly into his character as the pompous general whose ego is too big for his own good. His plan worked just as intended, he had the resistence in a trap and was on course to pick of one of their ships after another without facing much of a risk of losing his own. That's basically what every general loves to achieve, wiping out the enemy with minimal losses of your own. He couldn't possibly know that Kylo Ren would betray Snoke, nor was he responsible for Kylo Ren losing his cool once seeing Luke. He was actually the voice of reason in that battle.

In other words: he did a pretty good job in TLJ, but he's thinking he's a better leader than he actually is, which is made worse by his desire to gloat over the enemy. That makes him worse than he could be, but he is very far from being incompetent.

I don't see how Hux is supposed to feel like a throwaway character either. He was always just a relatively important side-villain, not someone who carries the story. He has a far more developed and clear cut role than most military leaders we have seen in the entire saga. The only ones who might top him in that regard, are Tarkin and Krennic, and those two were the main villains in their respective movies.

3. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Oh I see him as incompetent. Call it a plot execution problem if one likes, but he can't figure out how to use all the resources at his disposal. He's better at prancing about the bridge like an indignant peacock than anything else. TLJ did definitely make his character such a joke that um I feel any more normal, reasonably intelligent and wise person would see 101 ways to take the reigns of the FO military.

Knessa84 likes this.
  4. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Everybody wants him to be a villain... what if he is playing one of the good guys? Maybe a senator who survived the destruction of Hosnian

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Whoever he is, he better not be able to glean his opponent's military tactics by looking at their pottery.

6. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    LOL. This made my day. And gosh please no insidious classical music while he's doing it.

That he keeps Sabine's art was so hilarious.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Maybe he's a hero and a villain?

What if Grant is a former Imperial who is now on the side of the Rebels because he sees the danger of Kylo and the First Order? I like the idea of using another segment of the Imperial remnant who isn't on the First Order side to sort of briefly explain how the FO rose in power, etc. Surely Snoke had lots of former Imperials that he thought he couldn't properly control simply killed and that would have caused others to defect/hide/etc.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    If he is a flashback to Young Snoke, where we a given a thorough 20 minutes explanation of who he is and what his motivations are... with Powerpoint slides... will all be forgiven?

9. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Like this?

[​IMG]

:p

GregMcP and chrcharcor2 like this.
  10. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    My gut tells me that Grant will be a villain but I also thought Max Von Sydow was going to be a villain. Turned out he wasn't a villain. He was an extra! Hope that's not the same case for Grant.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He'll be commander of a ship that gets destroyed by the opening crawl.

11-4D and The Regular Mustache like this.
  12. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Captain Canady's brother

13. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    If you look at past announcements you quickly realize this is very unlikely.

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-viii-now-filming

In the exact same section of the announcement for VIII were D.J., Holdo and Rose.

So, there’s every reason to believe his role is significant, loaded with significant dialogue and will feature his own small arc.

The Captain Canady style accouncements come later.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  14. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    He meant to be. He only got to where he was by stabbing people in the back.

oncafar likes this.
  15. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    So we can assume he is competent at stabbing people in the back. [face_skull]

16. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Yeah he's competent at that but not at commanding an army.

oncafar likes this.
  17. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    He's good at shouting "all fighters!"

18. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    That has got to be the only moment of cooperation between Kylo and Hux. Kind of liked that.

Jedi Knight Fett and oncafar like this.
  19. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I liked how Kylo looked at him. Admittedly I hope Kylo doesn't kill Hux, doesn't even wanna kill him. I feel like Kylo (in his horrible way) abused Hux to show him who's boss, and he knows Hux will try over and over to backstab him, but he doesn't wanna kill him.

Also I could even ship Kylo and Hux.

Or they are like brothers with a sibling rivalry thing going. Hux is like Loki to Kylo's bad Thor?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  20. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    How did he not achieve what he was supposed to achieve?

His arrogance and ego keep him from being a great leader, but they do not make him an imcompetent one. Neither does him being made fun of. He used Starkiller to destroy the Republic and its fleet, it wasn't his fault that the station went down. Then he created a trap for the remaining resistence that worked out great, there is a reason why Snoke praised him for it. That the resistence would suicide its last ship to attack Snoke's ship is hardly something anyone could have predicted. It wasn't his fault that Snoke got killed, or that Kylo Ren let himself be distracted by Luke, thus allowing the resistence to escape.

What he does lack is consistency. There are times where he cares more about gloating than finishing the job, and then there are times where he could apply the devil may care attitude that fits to his ego and opt for an costly all out assault but instead goes with an efficient plan that would have saved resources, like with the trap in TLJ.

A cunning leader can outsmart him, but there aren't exactly a ton of those around. Not to mention that you need support among the rank and file to get rid of someone like Hux, and his kind of character does tend to create some sort of loyalty, based either on fanaticism or on fear of him. History is full of people like that.

21. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    The FO failed in TLJ in that they did not destroy the entire Resistance. Hux decided to just wait the Resistance out in the Space Chase and the movie didn't convince me there was no way at all to destroy the Resistance more quickly (Kylo's TIE run showed me they could have been destroyed earlier and this whole Crate battle could have been skipped). Hux is kind of equivalent to Vader's incompetent offices in ESB. Vader's failures are often explained by Vader vs. his incompetent officers. Hux IS the incompetent officer. That's how I see it anyway.

I like the argument that he's not supposed to be competent. But I think that the impression of Hux as more incompetent is coming from two things: 1) Space Chase is full of holes and makes very little sense, 2) Hux is primary comic relief in TLJ.

22. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    With Snoke gone, I see a vacancy for a dark side ( or maybe just The Force ) exposition-guy. Particularly if they're going to attempt to tie Rey and Kylo's story into Anakin's story. I don't think Kylo can occupy this role. Perhaps it's something connected to the KOR, or perhaps it's the Whills, but of the 3 new cast members, I see Grant as the most likely fit for this.
    Of course, now that he's one with the Force, Luke could move into this role, and judging by his last words to Kylo, he'd presumably be able to appear to both Rey and Kylo. Still, I feel that if the intent is for IX to make some kind of definitive statement on the Skywalker story, and the balance of the Force, etc, etc, you'd probably need a character above and outside of the Skywalker clan - perhaps even a character representing the narrator of the story, or something approaching that.

Birkendoc likes this.
  23. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    R2 is the narrator.

24. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I really hope Luke appears to both. I know this would break a previous FG "rule" but Luke may not be one's typical FG and Yoda has already gone beyond what FGs have been able to do before by striking the tree with lightening.

PCCViking likes this.
  25. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Sure, in the context that George originally envisioned the story, I could certainly get behind that.

Maybe 'outsider', rather than narrator, would've been a better description.
    What I was really trying to drive at was; if the intent is for IX to tie the ST to the overarching themes of I-VI, and deliver some finality and answers to the questions that the Skywalker / Chosen One story has raised, then I feel that there's a need to introduce a new element to the story.

For example, if this story is ultimately about destiny versus free will, with the mortal players ( and even the immortal ones ) ultimately just pieces on a chess board, then as I see it, the antagonist of the tale ( in this case, fate itself ) needs to be represented and embodied onscreen somehow, whether this character be sinply an agent of said forces, or the actual article themselves.

Birkendoc and Ubraniff Zalkaz like this.