main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Richard Marquand interview

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by ThePhilistineCritic, Apr 29, 2020.

1. ThePhilistineCritic

ThePhilistineCritic Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 1, 2020
    Of all the Star Wars directors, Richard Marquand seems to get the least attention, typically being dismissed as a mere proxy for George Lucas. While it’s true that Marquand was definitely a hired gun, and probably exerted less of an influence on his film than any other Star Wars, here’s an interesting interview that he did, and I especially like his comments on directing Darth Vader:
    https://bit.ly/2W98HeE

I think that does come through in Return of the Jedi. The mask does actually does seem to convey much more sadness and emotion here than it does in the previous films. What are your thoughts?

whostheBossk, Vthuil, Krueger and 6 others like this.
  2. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Interesting. Very good point about Marquand putting humanity into the closeups of Vader.

I find it odd that the interviewer calls him "an actor's director", given that allegedly Marquand cheesed off both Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford on set for being rude & dismissive (and possibly somewhat sexist?) to the former, and obsequious to the latter.

Still, I'd love to know more about that science fiction movie Marquand was planning.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  3. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Predator would be a partial match.

4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    He did a very good job; esp. in the Luke Vader Emperor scenes.

Darth Caliban and StartCenterEnd like this.
  5. harryhenry

harryhenry Jedi Master star 1

Apr 19, 2015
    Agreed, along with the Luke and Leia scene on Endor. He really knew how to get a great performance out of all the main actors.

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree, I think they did a great job portraying Darth Vader's conflict and inner thoughts, even though all we see is the helmet. In scenes like his conversation w/Luke on the Endor moon landing pad, and while he's watching the Emperor hit Luke with force lightning. The movements are perfect to (at least subtly) express in a way what's going on in his head at those moments.

7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The Luke/Vader scene on Endor, the Luke/Leia/Han scene on Endor, the "So you have a twin sister" moment and the final confrontation between Vader, the Emperor and Luke are some of the most powerful scenes in all of SW. Some great filmmaking on display.

whostheBossk and StartCenterEnd like this.