main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Rick and Morty (Now With 100% Less Justin Roiland)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Master Vo, Sep 12, 2017.

1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I didn't like this past season of Rick and Morty, too dark and cynical for my tastes IMO. Pickle Rick was the most overrated thing ever. And don't even get me started with how Rick and Morty fans treated McDonald's workers over that Szechuan sauce thing.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  3. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Welcome back danthe. Very happy to read that you weren't one of the folks causing a scene at McDonald's.

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm not crying, you're crying!

Master Vo'Un'Var likes this.
  5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Good news / Bad news

Bad news - Adult Swim has not renewed the show for another season yet. What are they waiting for?

Good news - This is awesome. Warning - explicit language.

Master Vo'Un'Var likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Adult Swim behaves bizarrely when they have an instantly classic hit show. Instead of trying to maintain production, the creators often have to fight for each season (Metalocalypse) and/or end up with smaller episode orders (The Venture Bros) and you get these year-long (or multi-year, in the case of Venture Bros) gaps in production and release as a result- well beyond any delays caused on the creative end itself. I've never understood it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  7. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Animation is expensive.

8. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New Season debuted last night!

"Don't you try to establish canonical backstory with me, you-!" [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

BigAl6ft6 and FatBurt like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Man I was wondering why it took so long to get Alison Brie in Rick and Morty but they finally used her and it was perfectly peak Alison Brie as Planetina

this was actually very moving which Rick and Morty does once in awhile

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It was an ok episode- definitely one that went heavy into the gross-out humor. The Planetina angle was decent and had its moments (the ring finger) but felt a little underwhelming in a world where Don Cheadle as Captain Planet exists (even if those videos are a decade old now). But, despite not being represented by a ring power here, it did have some heart to it.

But it did feel like the weakest of the three this season so far- and I wouldn't anticipate it getting dethroned there.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Good run of episodes (aside from the killer sperm one which was just okay, Morty even said "this is out there, even for us!") but great usage of sci-fi tropes, the Clive Barker pleasure/pain people, the "Changeformers" (oh the changefromermanity!"), the turkey one where the President became an action hero vs. his turkey duplicate was awesome. And last week's Bird Person-centric episode had a good dive into Rick's background, and maybe even a hint that Rick original Beth daughter is dead when Memory Rick said he was living with a version of "his dead daughter". (rick's original backstory had Rick's wife and daughter dying in an explosion but that turned out to be false...maybe?)

Anyway, it's off for 2 weeks before the finale. I get the feeling we may learn more about Rick's wife if only because they seem to be hinting towards elaborating on it all season.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  13. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Good catch on Beth, I missed that first time round.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that's more than a hint- it confirms that Rick has been living with alternates of his family and that "his" Beth died.

But, yeah, there's been a good handful of episodes this season and some good growth for Summer as a character. The opening episode and the turkey episode were probably the funniest. I think even someone on the show apologized for the sperm episode being the worst episode they've ever written or some such.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Sperm episode was hilarious. The horse milker gag that starts like a traveling salesman and a farmer joke is taken to the extreme. Then the giant incest space baby returned in the Voltron episode. Future generations will not see that as a dud.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I agree with a criticism I saw elsewhere that too many episodes are Earth-based this season. Personally I also think that the wacky episodes with no real thematic point get tiresome.

That said, I enjoyed the latest episode quite a bit. It was both not on Earth (well, what we saw) and it had a point! I think we won't get much more than these hints about "our" Rick's backstory.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The Memory Rick was based upon Bird Person's memories (Tammy was also like super-nice and in love with him) so I wouldn't take his statements as entirely legit but it's pretty close that Rick's tragic origin backstory where Beth and his wife died may have been more true than he admitted.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    "Wow, dead wife?
    "Yeah, now everyone can shut up about it."

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I thought the Behind the Episode for the season finale was pretty interesting, basically admitting at this point you can't really just reset button it all that much with the revelations in the episode. (the two Crows episode was fun but it really just set the pieces for the finale)

So it was revealed that, yes, Rick "Prime" did just hop to a dimension where kid Beth and his wife weren't killed. Which is kind of the biggest backstory piece (although I do wonder what about Froopyland which I guess even kid Beth needed it by then, and what happened to that dimension's Rick, probably just got toasted in the various Rick massacres). And the notion that across the multiverse Ricks are actually actively pushing Beth and Jerry together to produce Mortys because it's easier. And Rick lives in a multiversal wall that ensures he's the smartest one in the galaxy, which Evil Morty did the thing with the curve thing to end it. I really liked how the episode had both disdain and embraced the canon at the same time ("That place runs on canon!")

the Orchestral version of "For the Damaged Coda" that kicks in when Evil Morty jumped dimensions is great. It may or may not have been this version which sounds really close

Fan vid but still awesome anyway "Every version of us has spent all of our lives in an infinite crib built around an infinite %$#%$ing baby."

don't know if we'll see Evil Morty again (yes, he is President Morty but mos def evil because he killed like countless Ricks and Mortys to do the thing with the curve thing). He seems kinda wrapped up and satisfied and escaped into a multiverse to get away from Rick. Half notion that eventually Morty "Prime" could become Evil Morty because that's where being sick of Rick leads to but that seems complex and time-travell-y.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Did evil,Morty break free or destroy the firewall too? Is RIck going to not be the smartest in future seasons?

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    pretty sure it's both cuz he blows it up in the end (you see it all disappear when he touches his wrist device) before he jumps through his portal. I read a post that it was very Thanos-like satisfied that he changed the universe hahah. So if he blew it up, it's very possible there will be people smarter than Rick.

And to be fair, it would add a different flair to the show as lot of the time Rick can sort of just go God Mode and stomp his way through anything. But technically they already have a big baddie who is "smarter" than Rick and that's Evil morty. but he looks like he's retired.

Read on the Rick and Morty wiki that the Central Finite Curve (which was established back in S1, that Stan Lee Rick pop up was really helpful) is kind of like the edge of a circle so Dofus Rick would be near the bottom of it

This scene, also from S1e9 kinda shows that you stack a bunch of Ricks ontop of each other so that would be the Central Finite Curve portion of the universe

"This guy right here, super weird"

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  22. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    That’s very interesting. Now we could have any number of characters as smart of smarter than Rick. No more cheat code on life for Rick. He and Morty will need to be a team. Also Rick’s not going to be so in charge and knowing all the time what’s next. This opens the door to a radical shift in the form and tone of the show…. Or it will be very similar to how it’s always been. Time will tell.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Actually there's a 'bigger bad' out there:
    Eviler Rick. His failed pursuit of the guy is what turned Rick into a bitter alcoholic.
    And a question of interest:
    I mean, everyone except Morty wasn't part of the 'original' family anyways - but what did happen to Morty's real grandfather? Wouldn't it be a little ironic if he was Eviler Rick?

24. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Booger AIDS, it’s back!

BigAl6ft6 and TiniTinyTony like this.