main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Riding the lightning - the JC heavy metal thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Exactly.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's telling for me that I love Jethro Tull way more than I love Metallica and I still think that was a ridiculous award. Oh Grammys.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  3. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Grammy awards aren't even worth the bronze their molded from. Aside from the Jethro Tull debacle, the Grammys have also been known to give out awards for songs that are upwards of 30 years old (whether they be for covers, or for a live recording that was released within the eligibility period), and the way Metallica got treated last year was the biggest slap in the face the Grammys have ever given us! In addition to treating them like Lady Gaga's backing band on their own song, they even managed to screw up James Hetfield's vocal mic. They've earned my disdain forever.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

darthdrago likes this.
  4. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I hate that they have the rock and metal awards in the pre-show. I mean, there aren't even that many categories in those genres so what's even the point?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes that's far worse than how they treated Megadeth in the same year. [face_plain]

6. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Metallica aren't even worthy of being Lady Gaga's backing band. They're trash and have been since the mid-80s. Not that I don't have a fair dose of contempt for Gaga as well. But Metallica should have shuffled off their mortal coil as a band long ago. At least Slayer came up with ways to remain relevant.

At least for thrash I've got this to go to. Haven't heard a bass mixed this high since Bathory's Requiem.

7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Delayed but Mine for 1989:

Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos for all 10 slots

Ahem:

Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos
    Obituary- Slowly We Rot
    Pestilence - The Consuming Impulse
    Repulsion - Horrified (recorded in 86, officially released in 89.)
    Dark Angel -Leave Scars
    Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
    Terrorizer - World Downfall
    D.R.I. - Thrash Zone
    Kreator - Extreme Aggression
    King Diamond- Conspiracy

-

Super easy year for me, Bolt Thrower just leveled me from the moment I’d heard the gnarly but awesome rough mix of Through The Eye of Terror on the Grindcrusher comp.

Ditto my becoming aware of screamer Martin Van Drunen in Pestilence (I’ve been listening to everything he screamed on since then.)

In 1989 Obituary were: everything I loved about Celtic Frost musically, solid live, good people and utterly hilarious even back then.

For most unintentionally funny in 1989 that would be Amon (a.k.a. Deicide) and -in particular- Glen Benton. He was so full of phoney hooey but what a hoot live (glad I did not get hit with the rotting meat they tossed around at that gig I attended.)

I don’t think I’ve seen Dark Angel live yet, but I remember meeting Gene Hoglan that year and he was just as you’d expect. Carcass were already off my radar and I still think Morbid Angel’s 1987 demos were vastly superior to anything they recorded since then.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  8. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Great list. You made me realize that I completely forgot to include Conspiracy though.

I liked their demos but I still think Altars, Blessed and Formulas are some of the best work that has come out of Morbid Angel. I will agree that Carcass became utterly forgettable after a certain point. Their earlier work was just more interesting.

9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    And you made me realize I forgot about Fate’s Warning. I lost interest in MA as soon as I heard Bolt Thrower and Napalm Death, but yeah that was the best era for MA.

10. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    *Sigh* I take back my excitement for new Memoriam U.K. This new track that just dropped pretty much solidified my misgivings about Karl's post Bolt Thrower music. It's not just his vocals or the bordering on preachy political statements, these guys clearly have issues with song structure. I thought the song writing part may have been a fluke of the first album, but this new track is about 4 minutes too long.

Thank goodness for new Judas Priest then (btw, KK Downing is releasing a book about his time in Priest in September I think.)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  11. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Well, you know what they say: "You better check yourself before you Flynn yourself".

Master_Lok likes this.
  12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_laugh] It's too bad. There's a lot of talent in that band, but it takes a certain special something to get extreme metal right at any age much less 50+ (though their guitarist and main songwriter is in his 40s.) Listening to this today, my inner 20 something finally realized Bolt Thrower are not coming back (which was obvious but I've tried to reconcile why this band does not work for me beyond Karl's voice being shot.)

So Martin Van Drunen needs to light a fire under Asphyx's behinds so they can release albums faster. :p

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Anyone been watching Lost in Vegas discovering metal on YouTube?

They're a hip hop duo who listen to metal and try and find ways into it. It might be the best stuff on YouTube.

They just did Digital Bath by deftones, which is just one of the best 'tones tracks out there:

14. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    The stuff they get recommended for people who are just starting out are odd. I wouldn't have recommended Animals as Leaders or Dream Theater right off the bat.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Ender Sai likes this.
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    For 1989 my top would be "Surprise! You're Dead!" by Faith No More. While there are far better examples of the crossover thrash which was established by that point, there is a mad level of musicianship in this one track. The dual keys, and the fact that the tempo "seems" to change drastically (yet the drums ride a fairly repetitive loop nearly throughout), have always elevated this particular Faith song.

1989 was a great year for metal. Sacred Reich released a live album which was a marked improvement over any of their studio output. D.R.I. released Thrash Zone. Danzig's debut album dropped. The Cro Mags fully embraced metal with Best Wishes. But, "Surprise! You're Dead!" is brilliant.

EHT and Talos of Atmora like this.
  16. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I have no clue whether some of the stuff on there would be out of your wheelhouse or not but I'd recommend any of the stuff from my list that you might not have heard yet. Best Wishes, Danzig and Thrash Zone were all great releases though. Faith No More is also great but my favorite album by them will always be Angel Dust.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  17. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    What do you guys think of Tony Martin-era Sabbath? While I can't say that it necessarily measures up with what people traditionally call their classic material, albums like Headless Cross and Tyr are pretty awesome. They probably would have been received better if they were part of an Iommi side project instead of being included in Black Sabbath's discography.

18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Think you nailed it as those would have worked better as an Iommi side project rather than Sabbath. While, I liked Ian Gillian for me Sabbath were always Ozzy and Dio singing (so happy I caught the Dio incarnation live. That was some gig.)

19. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Was listening to Hard Times Hanging at the End of the World by Children today and I decided to quickly rank 2009. This was a pretty big year of discovery for me.

2009:
    1. Children - Hard Times Hanging at the End of the World
    2. The Chasm - Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm
    3. Nokturnal Mortum - The Voice of Steel
    4. Vektor - Black Future
    5. Obscura - Cosmogenesis
    6. Be'lakor - Stone's Reach
    7. While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lacrymose
    8. Ulcerate - Everything is Fire
    9. Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings
    10. Artillery - When Death Comes

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'd have to put Wavering Radiant on a 2009 list, just because that's when we lost ISIS.

21. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Oh, yeah. I keep forgetting it came out that year for whatever reason. It's good though. Not my favorite album by them but still. What do you think of the other stuff up there?

22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Lots of albums in 2009, though outside of Hail of Bullets Warsaw Rising e.p. I did not buy anything else that year.

23. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  24. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    That's a shame.

25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012