main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph On Earth, Everyone Can Hear You Scream: The Prometheus / Alien Discussion Thread (Romulus)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Whitey, Jul 30, 2009.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Charlize Theron to star in Alien prequels?

[...] we?re told that Fox is having the role rewritten so that it?s larger and befitting, if not of Theron, then at least of someone of Theron?s stature. We're also told that the South African beauty should get the new version of the Alien script sometime this week and make her decision soon.

2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    If this is remotely true then I just hope Charlize has the brains to realise the world wants Ridley's vision brought to the screen, not the result of studio executives worrying they won't get a large pay cheque at the end of production, and she'll just say no.

3. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    I think it was a mistake, but "bought" to the screen...no large cheque?:p

I think she's a fine choice...but i'm worried if Robin Hood is any indication of where this director is going with this whole "prequel" thing..

4. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Would you believe me if I blamed the keyboard for any spelling errors?[face_blush]

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I just hope Theron has a similar underwear scene.

6. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Anybody else really bored/tired of news outlets referring to female movie stars as "the such and such beauty", as if that's the only thing worth describing them?

EDIT: Also, I love that in that link to the Spacejockey concept art the movie is referred to as "the long awaited prequel to Alien". Frankly that makes me laugh. Nobody but nobody has been "waiting" for this movie.

7. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    lol...What did you think of "Monster"?

8. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Do I even have to say THIS?

9. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Has anyone read the reportedly "leaked" Alien: Harvest .pdf?

I cant link to it because of the language, but a google search will suffice.

Not sure if its legit...but it does have a lot of the elements that Ridley Scott has already mentioned.
    I'm currently reading it now, and here's what its got so far....
    1. The Spacey Jockeys are a peaceful race of telepathic terraformers. The xenomorphs are a product of their terraforming experiments gone wrong.
    2. They do in fact have two human guys (crash survivors) in their employ/benevolent enslavement (they only work once a week for four hours and all their needs are taken care of, but the jockeys dont want them to leave), and the space jockeys do make the men have sex with each other, trying to breed them.
    3. There is a third crash survivor, a cat named Oleo, who winds up being the victim of a miniature face hugger.
    4. Miniature cat-sized face hugger? Yep. And miniature xenomorphs. They are described as an "ant" alien, keeping only the head of the original monster.

Meanwhile, back at LV-426....
    5. The Space Jockey vessel crashes into the planet because the pilot *surprise* has a larger alien burst out of its chest.
    6. There is a crew of a spacecraft nearby. Two females, five males. Sound familiar? Oh and theres a lot of lesbian jokes.

So far....its BORING. It doesnt inspire terror (the planet that the space jockeys are terraforming sounds like Kansas and the two human guys keep talking about how good they have it there, while the ship crew seems more than content to check their emails and play cards....the tone is ALL WRONG. Remember the first shots of Alien...we were treated to the Nostromo being a dark labyrinth of piples and computers until the crew woke up? None of that here), and the way the telepathically-induced homosexual breeding scene is intercut with Oleo's death throes REEKS of Alien 3, where the funeral for Hicks and Newt was intercut with the alien bursting out of the dog.
    I'll keep reading, but so far, I am far less than impressed, and hope to God this is nothing more than bad fanfiction.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    By the way, thet concept art has been debunked: it's just fan art.

11. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Further reading...
    - The space jockeys are referred to as "growers". There is a smaller subspecies called "grunts".

- The appearance of a cat-alien from Oleo. Just like the dog-alien in Alien3. Only the size of a bobcat and it almost sounds like Ravage from the Transformers movie.

- The cat-alien is killed after a brief struggle. They then turn it into mulch.

- One of the human guys has a genetically-engineered third nipple that secretes "nature's lip balm". He urges the other guy to try it.

12. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Sounds like Ridley Scott is pandering to the slash crowd...

13. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Oh, and the two guys names are Adam and Steve. :oops:
    [image=http://rlv.zcache.com/adam_steve_tshirt-p235254705661865237trlf_400.jpg]
    But they are referred to in the script by their last names, Fin and Karik.

Look...the amount of sexuality in the first Alien movie was awesome in that it hit you on a subconscious level. The Alien Harvest treatment seems to be more of a farce.

PLEASE let this be fanfic.

EDIT --

ANd also a nod to the Aliens deleted "Ripley's Daughter" scene.
    The lead female, Oliver is crying over the fact that due to the time it takes to get back home, her children will be teenagers. "They are only children once"

14. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Probably is.

At the least I hear they're working from scratch on a new draft, which I doubt has leaked out yet.

15. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I thought this was supposed to be about those space jocky giant guys?

16. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    It is, or haven't you been reading any previous posts?

17. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Okay, so now Ridley Scott is saying it's not a prequel or a sequel.
    A stand alone film inspired by Alien, titled Prometheus.

18. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    I am pleased. This bodes well for for Hollywood.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Fantastic news indeed.

20. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Amen....

Wait WHAT? what the hell is Prometheus? Is it going to use the aliens or is it a whole new thing?

21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Whole new thing:
    While Alien was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place. The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien?s DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn?t be more pleased to have found the singular tale I?d been searching for, and finally return to this genre that?s so close to my heart.

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    ooh, that does sound promising.

23. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I don't remember rattling your cage for a response, and look at this now, it has nothing to do with what was once put out?

I won't even wait for dvd.

24. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    You got told Juli.

25. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    WTF. Does this mean no Xenomorphs?!