main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC RimCon Victoria

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by haruwindsong, Oct 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haruwindsong

haruwindsong Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    The SF convention now has a name --- see above --- and a venue --- the Holiday Inn. The snail mail address is:

RimCon Victoria
    PO Box 32108
    Victoria BC V8P 4N0

The convention will have a website up and running by the middle of October at www.rimconvictoria.com , if you are interested. Memberships are now on sale. You can purchase them right now by contacting me (I'll send you a Registration form). An Author and an Artist Guest of Honour have been selected and approached. RimCon expects confirmations back NLT mid-November.

2. Tib_Senshi

Tib_Senshi Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2005
    ??
    What Haru said...

Be sure to checkout the website, as it is live... www.rimconvictoria.org. Hope to see y'all there. Signup now and save big.

3. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    So we now have guests confirmed. Author Guests of Honour will be Spider and Jeanne Robinson, with Dave Duncan also appearing on one day. We are in negotiations an Artist Guest of Honour at this time.

4. Aurra-Singg

Aurra-Singg Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2004
    When is rimcon happening, again?

And it might be temporary, but I can't access the rimconvictoria site at all...

Aurra

5. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    Please keep in mind that the site is a ".org" not ".com". That's going to make a lot of difference.

www.rimconvictoria.org

The site has been up since mid-Oct. There are registration forms and explanations for fans unfamiliar with SF conventions. Our webmistress hasn't updated yet with the guests' names. We're still waiting for a confirmation response from Grant Gould.[face_praying]

We're looking for eager people to join the committee. It's really hard running something even as small as 300-400 fans with only seven people as staff. Anyone with financial experience, we could use a good Treasurer to take the burden off the Chairman. We also need people to head up: Security, the Artshow, the Costume Competition (should there be one), run the Dealers' Hall, oversee the Gophers (volunteers) and their Hole (gathering/flop room), not to mention a few other spots. So if you feel you're up for it, contact me through my personal e-mail and I'll give you the timings for the meetings.[face_dancing]

[:D] RimCon Victoria is a not-for-profit organization whose aims are: (1) sponsor a fan-run/for fandom convention on a yearly basis bringing in professional authors and artist; and (2) split end-of-convention profits 50/50 with the Queen Alexandra Hospital for Children.

6. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    Spider and Jeanne Robinson have confirmed, and Dave Duncan has agreed to come for one day as well. Still waiting on Grant Gould to confirm in fact but he is posted as our Artist Guest of Honour. Check out the website: www.rimconvictoria.org

Get your memberships now and help make RimCon a yearly event with different authors and artists. If you help, it will grow --- if you've never attended a SF Convention check out the sites for VCon in Vancouver and NorWes Con in Seattle to get an idea of what RimCon's aiming to become. Without you, however, it won't happen --- just a plug here, guys.

RimCon is seeking volunteers NOW, especially individuals eager and willing to manage various departments: Dealers Hall, Art Show, Costume Competition (should there be one), Registration, etc. At this juncture it appears the 501st and possibly the local ST people will be managing Security.

7. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    The convention has been cancelled because, as with most literary based SF convention, it was to be 60 percent membership driven. This meant there was a requirement for two-thirds of the projected membership to pre-register (pay in advance) before mid-May. By end-Feb there was a decided lack of enthusiasm locally from the fans and the majority of the businesses approached by the committee.

8. don-mccaskill

don-mccaskill Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    What happened to all the comments that were here with regards to the fact that RimCom was being canceled? What has happed to this group?

The internet and its forums are a free and open conversation. If you delete messages people will just move to somewhere that doesn't practice such actions.

9. TR0773

TR0773 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2003
    An outsider in another topic started criticizing Haru on the whole Rim Con project, I was defending her and it started to escalate into a flame war. If she didn't delete it Crazy Mike may have, either way deletion was best, it was not positive to the collective good.

10. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    Flame wars not good thing. Did not intend to start one. Suffice to say, for now the project is defunct. Whether or not it ever restarts is moot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.