main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena RIP CITY UPRISE: The Portland TrailBlazers Fan Club

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Jedi Gunny, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Andre Miller is definitely going to be the key for us during this series.

I also love how each of our smaller players can really run Steve Nash ragged. Andre is stronger, Jerryd and Rudy are quicker, and Nic is lankier. No matter who we match against him, we've got the advantage against Nash. Even though Nash still scored 25 points Sunday night, he never really looked comfortable out there.

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Game 5 is tonight in Phoenix. If the Blazers bring the intensity that they had in Game 4, it should be an interesting game. If they turn out flat, sounds like Phoenix will run away in another blowout.

3. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Season ended in Portland in 6 games. However, the fact that the team made it to the Playoffs is astounding; losing Przybilla, Oden for the season, Outlaw, Batum, Mills, Pendergraph and Cunningham for part of the season, and Roy on and off the court really could have made this a disasterous season. However, they pulled through it, and got 50 wins. Nice job, guys, and hope next season ends up better.

4. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Update on G/F Rudy Fernandez; currently holding out on the rest of his contract, which spans the next two seasons. He's apparently given the team brass a list of teams he would accept a trade to, mostly because of the issue of little playing time in Portland. He's also threatened to have the team release him so he can play in Europe.

If you ask me, selfish move on his part. Even though he wasn't getting as much playing time as he would like, 22 or so minutes a game isn't bad, and most of the high-profile teams he would probably want to join would usually give him less playing time than he gets already. Unless he joins a poor club, where he could end up being the starter. However, I don't want to see him leave; he's a great player.

5. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Let's see, you were drafted as a backup for our team's biggest star, and yet you're complaining about playing time? I bet Wesley Matthews won't be complaining when the season starts. I'm perfectly willing for the Blazers to trade Rudy for another team's draft pick.

6. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Yeah, I guess that it would be for the best to trade Rudy and get him out. Wesley Matthews should do a good job.

7. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Rudy is a cherry picker. Sits on the 3 line all game long and only plays D when its crunch time. I never could understand why the fans in PDX like him so much. I personally would be happy to see him go.

8. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    On Rudy: Not sure why he's still here, but he's still playing well regardless.

Wesley Matthews is starting to show why we picked him up in the offseason. If he and Batum can click, there are two shutdown players on the team.

Jeff Pendergraph is down with a knee injury. As far as I know, the MRI was scheduled for today, but it leaves the team short on height. Deja vu from last season?

9. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah, the Pendergraph injury is a bit of a downer, but if that's all we suffer this year, I'm fine with it. Greg and Joel are due to be back somewhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so as long as Camby and Aldridge can hold the fort at the 5, we'll be fine. Babbitt and Cunningham will also see more time at the 4 when Camby is on the bench, so this is a good opportunity for them.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt to trade Rudy for a big man, but we'll just have to wait and see.

10. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Looks as if our Draft Picks can make a difference early in the season. :p

Also, it's not confirmed, but I heard that Pendergraph was out for the season. Hopefully not.

11. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    A torn ACL usually means the player is done for the majority of the season. Given that Pendy's injury happened so early, he might be back by March/April, but we'll just have to wait and see. The guy seems pretty motivated, based on his Twittering, so I'm sure he'll be working on his rehab as hard as he can.

12. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Jeff's a tough guy; he'll definitely try to get back out there as soon as psosible. Looks like Luke Babbitt is really going to get some extra playing time.

13. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    It's starting to look like last year, and the season hasn't even started yet. Wesley Matthews only played four minutes in last night's game, and Marcus Camby missed the game due to a strained calf.

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Portland at the Lakers this Sunday night............I cannot wait, should be a close (hopefully) game.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

15. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Portland can't find a rhythm right now. Hopefully this'll be righted as the season wears on.

16. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Gotta say that Wesley Matthews is definitely worth every penny spent on him. A good pick-up during the offseason, and hopefully a good piece for the future.

17. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    The more I see Gerald Wallace play, the more I like him. Now, if the Blazers could just play defense down the stretch . . .

18. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Nice win against the Mavericks last night. :) Got a bit ugly at the end, but at least we were able to pull through.

19. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    God, i hope we get you first round.

20. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    That would be a good series to watch. It could easily go 7 games.

21. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    2011 Draft Stuff:

Traded Andre Miller to Denver (among other things) for Raymond Felton.

My analysis: Felton should still be in his prime, and gives us a much younger PG than Miller. Only issue with this trade is losing Miller as a locker room leader.

Traded Rudy Fernandez to Dallas

My take: Rudy's a good shooter, but his slumps and annoying attitude last season made his rather expendable.

Drafted: Nolan Smith, Jon Diebler, Ngombo.

I like taking Smith, because that gives us a pair of good PG's for this season. Since Patty Mills is a RFA this offseason, he might be the one who leaves Portland instead of Armon Johnson, who is still on his rookie contract. Of course, a new CBA can change a lot of things very quickly.

Diebler is a great sharpshooter, but I don't know if there is room on the team for him. Trading Rudy is an indication that streaky shooters may not fit on the current team, and plus Diebler would be the third-string SG behind Wesley Matthews and B-Roy (if healthy).

Ngombo was never supposed to be a Blazer anyway.

What I Don't Like:

Not picking/trading for a big man. The 4 and 5 are still really shallow on the depth chart, with Aldridge, Camby and Chris Johnson being the only true big men on the roster. Gerald Wallace can play PF, but he's still undersized at the position and there's no guarantee he'll in be in a Blazer uniform for the next NBA season.

22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Blazers give Oden his qualifying offer to keep him as a RFA. Geez, don't they know when to give up? He clearly hasn't shown that he wants to get back on the court anytime soon.

23. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Better that than letting him walk. At least this way he'll be trade bait.

24. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    He won't be worth much for trades if a hard cap is created for the League. And even if not, most teams aren't going to take a chance on him, especially if he doesn't start performing well soon.

25. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Loads of teams will take a chance on him. He's good when he plays. He could be totally injury cursed, sure, but he could always turn it around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.