main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT RIP David Prowse

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by AndyLGR, Nov 28, 2020.

1. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  2. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Was just about to make a thread like this- good to hear that you got to meet him @AndyLGR

3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Sad news. Meeting him as a kid must have been an experience, especially as big he was.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Sad news indeed Vader wouldn’t be the character he was without him

5. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I met him when he came into my school in his guise as the green cross code man to pass on road safety information to kids.

Exactly. His physical attributes brought arguably the best villain in cinema history to life in all his imposing glory.

6. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    RIP David Prowse

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    Sad news indeed. His masterful portrayal of Vader left an everlasting impact on me.

I don't like that the OT cast is dwindling. Don't like it at all, but it is how it is.

8. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I think that's why they went all out for the 40th anniversary, because it's doubtful that the 50th anniversary will have many of them involved.

Rest in Peace sir.

9. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    RIP to the man who brought Vader physically to life.

10. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    He was an awesome Darth Vader. RIP.

11. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    His physical size was Vader for many of us growing up. Sad news.

12. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    RIP, David.

AndyLGR and devilinthedetails like this.
  13. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    Terrible news. Met him many years ago along with my 2 sons who were very young. An absolute legend and very welcoming. I asked him if I could take a photo of him with my sons in it and instead of doing what the rest of the guest were doing and telling them to stay at this side of the table he insisted they come round and stand next to him. When I asked how much it was he just made a gesture that said to me 'don't be so silly'. To top it off Kenny Baker who was right next to him came into the pic as well. 2 total legends.
    I only wish the bad blood between him & George Lucas had been put aside and Dave had been brought into Star Wars in some way or another as a thank you to his invaluable contribution to our beloved GFFA.
    Rest in peace Dave, the force will be with you......always.

14. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    It can never be stated enough how much David Prowse brought Darth Vader to life. His physical acting, married with James Earl Jones voice acting, created perhaps the greatest villain in cinema. Rest in Peace David Prowse and thank you.

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    An incredibly underrated physical actor, who was a huge part of why Vader became so iconic. Rest in peace, Mr. Prowse. Thank you for your wonderful work.

16. MaverickJedi85

MaverickJedi85 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2019
    RIP David; most people associate Vader with the voice of James E. Jones, but in my opinion half of the success of Darth Vader was David's presence and body language. Classy and menacing. Rewatch ESB and you will realize that he owned every scene he was in, and that's with a helmet covering his entire face and without uttering a single word.

17. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    It's easy to underestimate how he created Darth Vader as we know him. From the menacing way he stood there hands resting on his belt to the powerful & arrogant strut in his walk. All created by Dave Prowse and very difficult to imitate.

18. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Very sad news. Rest in peace.

19. Hernault

Hernault Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 5, 1999
    This leaves an impression on young eyes:
    [​IMG]
    ( From https://jonathondsvendsen.wordpress...ration-of-the-star-wars-mythos-1-darth-vader/ )

RIP Mr. Prowse.

20. SrWilson

SrWilson Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    RIP Dave Prowse he was a huge factor in making Vader intimidating like he did part of a amazing collaboration to bring this character to life He was the Physical monster James earl Jones the voice and Ben Burt with the breathing. Movie magic folks.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  21. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    This is terrible to hear. Prowse's movements in the suit - which grew more intense and more character-defining with each installment - have defined him as just as much the embodiment of Darth Vader as James Earl Jones, and he will not be forgotten for all that he has given us.

Thank you so much for everything, David Prowse, and rest easy.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I definitely agree. He made Vader both intimidating and vulnerable. I’ll be thinking of Vader pointing at people.

Meanwhile, James Earl Jones is 89. He’ll be 90 in January.

23. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    Learned the sad news that David Prowse has passed away. He gave Darth Vader his powerful form, and turned a skinny nerd actor named Christopher Reeve into Superman. He was frozen out by Lucasfilm with an effective 'lifetime ban', but still loved and engaged his Vader-loving fans. One of my favorite scenes of David Prowse as Darth Vader shows his considerable skill in using his body to communicate while his face is hidden behind a mask: that actor's ability is why the extra 'No's in this scene are entirely unnecessary.

24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Heard the news on the radio this morning.
    RIP Dave Prowse.

25. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Very sorry to hear this news. 2020 gets even sadder.

Along with the voice talent of James Earl Jones, David Prowse did an incredible job bringing one of the most iconic villains in cinematic history.

I will always remember watching the Original Trilogy with my dad and being scared in a wonderful way by the combination of James Earl Jones' deep, menacing voice acting, and David Prowse's intimidating gestures and imperious bearing.

Thanks to David Prowse for sharing his time and talent with generations of Star Wars fans. RIP.