main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RIP Whitney Houston

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by MandalorianDuchess, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I think her husband has a lot to answer for and to explain to their kids..... "Sorry kids, dad introduced mum to drugs and she over did it......" o_O:rolleyes: Sad loss, but even sadder is the fact we've all watched her (Like Amy Winehouse) crash and burn but like watching a car crash in slow motion :( RIP Whitney, I hope she finds the peace in death she couldn't find in life.

2. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    I couldn't disagree more. He's not responsible for her death.

I am actually offended (yes, offended) that you think so.

3. nostalgia

nostalgia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2011
    [image=http://i.imgur.com/greU1.png]

4. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    Neither. I do feel offended, but I actually think it's funny that I am reacting that way to a post on the internet. Usually i don't care...

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Where the hell was the Bodyguard?

6. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
  7. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Never said he was responsible, but she said herself "He was my drug," she said. "I didn't do anything without him. I wasn't getting high by myself. It was me and him together, and we were partners, and that's what my high was ? him. He and I being together, and whatever we did, we did it together. No matter what, we did it together." She told Oprah that. He must has seen there was an addiction or a problem, unless he also has the problem. Or he did see it and couldn't stop her, maybe that's why they split, who knows. But just as easily as she could have said 'no', its well documented that addicts don't know how to say no as most wont admit to themselves they have a problem. :( I do feel for the daughter, being raised in that world and now losing her mother.

And I apologise to you if I offended you, but I am entitled to my opinion, as are we all.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Crack is whack, kids.

And Dolly Parton's original is better.

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Er, wack. Whatever.

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Houston, she had a problem.

11. nostalgia

nostalgia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2011

12. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    It was either an overdose or a suicide. Very sad.

13. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    I caught this news earlier at work. WHOA!!! I thought she was doing better in the past couple of years. (not that I really follow it)

I remember that whole 'Bodyguard' soundtrack back in the early 1990's. I worked in a kitchen and let's just say, I was one of only 2 white guys back there which meant the radio station was SET to a certain station. ;)

That song.... I grew to HATE it!!! I timed it one day. From 7am to 3pm the song was played 20 times!!! AT LEAST TWICE an HOUR!!! To this day I HATE her version of the song.

Still, she was a true talent. RIP Whitney. I can take some of your 1980's material but I swear if I hear that.... I almost can't type it.... 'I will always love you' song again I will sing praises that you are dead and gone and you will never sing it again!!

Seriously it is right up there with "The Eagles ~ Take it Easy!" If I NEVER hear these songs again for the rest of my life it will be too soon!!!

Whitney @};-

14. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The Bodyguard was about the second or third date with my future wife. Whitney was so lovely...and that movie was so awful. My wife loved it! I got laid! Thank you Whitney. I will always love you.

15. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Whatever you thought of her songs, there was no denying how great a voice she had. Her rendition of the Star Spangled Banner at Super Bowl 25 was incredible. Incredibly sad that someone so talented would **** their life away the way she did. She was on a german TV Show (Wetten Dass ...) a year or two ago during her "comeback", it was frightening how fried her voice was. It was gone, and not coming back. The scary thing was when she was being interviewed interviewed afterwards, she seemed oblivious to that undeniable fact, talking about wanting to show her daughter (who was sitting next to her on the interview sofa) what great talent she had.

And Kate, you didn't see this coming? Seriously?!!! Is motherhood like crack?

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Her Superbowl performance was pre-recorded. She sang into a dead mic.

17. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Every living thing dies. Not sure why this should be news at all.

18. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Maybe

19. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    that was gonna be my joke. i was looking through the thread to see if it had been done. :(

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i could see feeling that way if you had a particular sentimental attachment to the dolly version, or maybe if like jack1138 and a lot of people you were simply inundated with the whitney version in the early 90's to the point of complete burnout. i think the dolly version definitely has more intimacy and vulnerability. the spoken part in the middle though is too much for me and really takes me out of the song. of course the same could be said for the sax solo in the whitney version, ugh.

but as far as a pure rendition of the song goes whitney simply blows dolly out of the water. dolly's version is sweet and touching but whitney's version is whitney at the goosebump-inducing peak of her powers. i think even dolly would admit that whitney recorded what will ultimately be remembered as the definitive version of the song.

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It really is tragic, because she really did have incredible talent when she was in her prime. I have to agree, though, that Bobby Brown is not to blame for her death. Sure, it appears that he did have a negative influence on her, but she was an adult, and capable of making her own choices. It's difficult, but not impossible, to overcome addiction. I've noticed that people tend to want to assign blame when something like this happens. I've seen it many times in celebrity death threads here.

22. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    lol

i was just gonna post that.

23. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    I cracked up.

I cracked up again.

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Didn't she almost have it all?

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    That's pretty much whey I like the Parton version better. That, and she has bigger breasts. [face_beatup] I also don't like vocal theatrics, no matter how talented the singer. Maybe it's because less talented women such as Mariah Carey and Christina Aguilera really, really wore out my patience, but all the same I don't appreciate the x10,000 approach Houston takes to the notes.