main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rise of Skywalker Director’s Cut

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by smudger9, Dec 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    For what it's worth:

[​IMG]

2. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Makes sense. It seems there may have been more setup for Palaptine or Kylo's quest to find Palpatine. Also more set up for the Resistance and First Order.

3. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    This means very, very little. He’s simply saying that more changes were made to the first act than to the last. That doesn’t mean few/no changes were made to the final act, nor that what changes were made weren’t substantive.

Also, while I’m not a fan of reylo, that tweet was unnecessarily bait-y and cruel. It’s awful to see a beloved character die onscreen; as a Luke fan, I can relate to those sentiments, at least.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  4. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Yes, and it was JJ who did the changes. Still we have nothing to corroborate what we got in the theaters wasn’t the Director’s Cut. It’s amazing, Tin Foiled Hat Syndrome.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    RetropME likes this.
  5. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I don't think people are even discussing "directors cut". I know I am not. I fully believe that JJ was behind the final edit. I'm not saying JJ had his cut altered by Disney for release. I think the belief is that theres a longer cut complete for release, but was cut down to meet a runtime demand.

6. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Per editor Maryann Brandon, the initial cut was over three hours long, but she maintains the film was never going to be that length.

7. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Maybe she knew early on that Disney/LFL didn’t want such a long film.

However, given how much there was for the story to cover, and given the frantic pacing of the final product, I could easily believe that the theatrical version was a shortened version of a longer cut.

Might have been cut down to allow for more showings per day in theaters?

8. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Might have been cut down because an initial assembly is never a presentable final product.

9. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Still no evidence that we didn’t get the Director’s Cut. And we have evidence to the contrary. Odd how such a rushed film with daily rewrites onset would have been too long for an alleged Director’s Cut.

Odd also how those arguing how some of us don’t understand the filmmaking process and that there may be different cuts don’t understand, ‘Answer prints’, ‘Work prints’, ‘Assembly cuts’, ‘Rough cuts’. Again, how long was ANH’s rough cut? We got a Director’s Cut. Well, until we got those other editions, which were George’s cuts.

Yes, execs may have influence. Didn’t THX and Graffiti have Lucas make cuts he didn’t want to? Not with ANH. Save Spielberg, it was George’s friends, not the execs who weren’t too thrilled with the rough cut for ANH. And was it Spielberg who wasn’t thrilled with Anakin’s turn in ROTS that led to George doing rewrites, reshoots, and re-edits? We still got the Director’s Cut. And I’ve read the script. Mucho cuts.

It could be JJ is directly responsible for the allege rushed TROS. There’s no evidence he was overruled by Disney. And the initial claim that there was an overruling of his alleged Director’s Cut also had the claim that Disney wanted to hurt him for going to rival Warner’s/DC. Odd. He wasn’t under a long term contract with Disney. He was with Paramount for films and Warner’s for TV until the the new contract wirh WB for everything. And you can’t separate these claims.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...jj-abrams-jilted-paramount-episode-ix-1041357

Paramount wasn’t happy with his SW detours. OMG. Evidence vs. idle talk.

PPOR.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    KyleKartan and SlashMan like this.
  10. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Can you explain how you’re using the term “director’s cut”? Because the only time I’m used to seeing such a term used in common parlance is when referring to rereleases of already-released movies with tweaks here and there and additional footage. So definitionally, of course what we got was not the “director’s cut.”

As for how close the final cut was to JJ’s ideal? That isn’t something we have enough info to guess at. The most I can point to is JJ looking unhappy at the premiere and being MIA afterwards. Disney doesn’t seem to be enamored with the final product either, but they’re an even bigger ?

Principle photography wrapped in Feb. the frantic rewrites seem to have begun in the spring, with reshoots in the summer/fall. I’d hazard a guess that a long initial cut would have been one made prior to the rewrites/reshoots.

I...have no idea what point you’re trying to make.

Not sure why you think the ST’s production chain of command and other circumstances and were analogous to those movies.

If he decided months after principle wrapped that he wanted to change a whole lotta the movie for....reasons... then sure.

Would you expect there to be hard evidence? Considering NDAs?

I’d been wondering about that. Proving motivations is even tougher than proving alleged facts.

Why not?

When it comes to SW, I’ve learned that “hard evidence” can lead one astray. Sadly. Hence my days of attempting evidence-based analysis being over.

I believe the production of RoS was messy and weird. The CT script leak further complicates the picture. Ultimately, we’re debating something that can’t - or, more accurately, won’t - be proven or disproven.

11. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    After completion of principal photography, we know that the first act of TROS was what underwent the most change, which can partially explain the frantic pacing of the first half of the film (up through the reveal of Rey Palpatine). We know that an introduction for Rey and Leia was part of the reshoots, as well as the scene on Ahch-To. To be clear, though, most of these changes were in an effort to further shape and clarify the narrative, not overhaul it. There's been nothing substantial to suggest that significant story changes were made in post production, and certainly not after picture locked the week of Thanksgiving, 2019.

12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    We need to petition Disney for a directors cut and if there actually isn't one then make one !

I'm still convinced JJ first presented a much longer movie and KK told him to cut it down :mad:

black_saber likes this.
  13. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    OMG! You can’t have logic and facts here! This isn’t Star Trek!

14. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Those are not facts, actually.

Only time will tell. Until then, and if it ever comes out, it's all just speculation. Logic suggests there are more than one cut, though. Unless you believe Disney had 100% blind faith in JJ.

15. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    What are you talking about? It is a fact that the 3-hour cut wasn’t intended for release. That’s a fact. Do you understand rough cut? And we have deleted scenes from all of GL’s SW films and even the TCW series.

The only source for there being a ‘Director’s Cut’ is conspiracy theory not independently confirmed. And you falsely accused Jason Ward of working for Disney.

Also, you employ non sequiturs, splitting the horns, straw man and circular reasoning. No, ‘there are more than one cut’, there is more than one cut. It’s called a rough cut. We never saw the nearly 3-hour ANH cut. Fox didn’t force Lucas to cut the movie to 2 hours. And I can’t be accused of having blindly having faith in Disney. Nor do I believe in alternative facts.

16. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Yes of course I understand rough cuts. That doesn't mean there was not a longer than release cut. Sorry. A film of this budget is going to be examined by multiple parties. I'm unsure why you are so certain and quick to shut out the possibility.

17. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    I never shut out the possibility as I’ve said several times. But you’re being disingenuous. For you it’s an actuality, otherwise you wouldn’t constantly bump this thread with conspiracy theory based upon alternate facts.

You rehash the same argument with no evidence and no new line of reasoning.

Here’s something new.

https://starwarz.com/tbone/the-lost-cut-of-star-wars/

http://theroughcutpod.com/star-wars/

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  18. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    I've avoided any concrete wording. Like I said its speculation until we see. Perhaps we will see extended scenes on the bluray which are fully fleshed out with fully completed visual effects, etc.

Like I said earlier, the film does resemble a JJ film in its pacing, so sure it's possible what we see is what we get. However,its very unlikely that Disney wanted a 3 hour film--even the current runtime is pushing it. I also think it's likely they had a checkbox of things they wanted in the film and imo it's more likely than not that JJ and lucasfilm had a few back and forth on the final product. I don't see why that is an unreasonable thought.

19. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I guess maybe they could come up with a definitive directors cut since there is many different cuts of films pick a lot of scenes that where cut out.

If it does happen, we could also call the special edition like what happened with the classic trilogy.

The only big difference is, people and fans like the original release of the trilogy, and now fans and people want the supposedly 3 hour cut of JJ Abrams film if it exists.

I hope it does and gets released and it’s considered canon.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Lmao had no idea JJ actually said of those who liked RoS: “I’m dubious of your taste” - on camera.

Not shading those who liked the movie (because if you liked it, I’m happy for and envious of you!), but JJ was obvious unhappy with the theatrical cut. No matter what else may or may not exist out there, RoS, as released in theaters, was most definitely not a “director’s cut” by any definition.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  21. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Where did he say that?
    Just wondering.

Sigh

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    cratylus likes this.
  22. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000

23. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    By changing it from "Star Wars Saga" to "Skywalker Saga" they kind of implied the Skywalker family would die out. A friend of mine called it, she said Ben Solo had to die for that reason. I was unsure, but she was right in the end.

24. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    He says just kidding. We can’t imply that he’s not telling the truth any more here than when he allegedly tried to get Ridley from spilling the beans that Snoke was Plagueis or allegedly being unhappy at the premiere of TROS.

25. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    It's just self-depricating humor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.