main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rise to the Next Level- Heroes (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jek_Windu, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    It was suggested that there be a separate thread for spoilers, and since no seems to have taken the chance, I might as well.

I just saw the premiere, and all I can say is Frakkin' A.

Loved all the characters, the story, the writing, direction.

2. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This was what I had posted in the other thread:

I really liked it - definately has one or two 'meh' momemts - Peter is a little too whiny and emo for me.

But I really liked Claire and Hiro. I liked Claire's issues and story: she's this beautiful 'perfect' girl that everyone else probably thinks has it made, but she's actually haunted by her 'freakishness'. It's a great allegory for being a teen (or anyone in general).

And Hiro - talk about someone nailing his character. His excitement was totally infectious. And I love his nerdy perspective (x-men and star trek comments).

Yeah, I'm not so sure about her...the alter-ego sounds as good a bet as any. I was thinking maybe she was possesing other people and seeing herself - but the alter-ego sounds more accurate...I like that her powers are still a bit of a mystery (to her and the audience).

3. LosDosMos

LosDosMos Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2005
    And this is what I had:

I liked it. :D Totally called Evil Dude With Glasses as being Claire's dad, but didn't see Nathan being able to fly coming. Poor Peter, just when he thinks he's unique, it turns out his older brother is a mutant too. :p

So what exactly is Niki's power? When she gets pissed, her evil alter ego pops out of the nearest reflective surface and lays the smack-down?

"Super Hiro" was cute. I loved his explanation about how he learned about the space/time continuum. [face_laugh] Personally, I learned from A Wrinkle in Time, but the X-Men work too. :p

ETA:
    Yes, I liked that too. It's definitely not a power I can instantly equate with an X-Man. [face_thinking]

Speaking of the X-Men, do y'all reckon we'll see any other "original" powers? We've got flight, healing, precognition, evil alter ego, telepathy on the way...what are the other characters going to pull out of their hats?

4. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    That's a good question...I don't think we'll be seeing anyone posessed by a cosmic energy force...maybe phasing, or superstrength (though that one's a bit overdone)?

And still on the topic of x-men: I'm not an expert by any means - more of a recent convert - but they got the x-men reference wrong: Kitty goes back in time in Uncanny #141-142, not #143.

5. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    That was pretty fun. Definatly worth keeping an eye on in the future.

I like the powers its a good mix of the basic kind of universal powers and like others have said, not knowing all of it quite yet.

I really like the comic roots. The GN on NBC.com but also the "chapters" and the way they managed to incorperate it into the setting.

Good to see a big bad already. Can't have heroes without villians.

Edit: Cooooool. The GN on NBC.com is done by Micheal Turner. Didn't see that one coming.

(Comic geeks will know the name)

6. LosDosMos

Apr 16, 2005
    Not to sound cynical, but some of it might depend on what the show's special effects budget can support. The precog, teleportation, and Evil Alter Ego powers don't seem to require many, if any, sfx, but the regeneration and flight scene at the end were a bit cheesy. Not awful by any stretch, but maybe not exactly top-notch either.

I don't know how difficult, expensive, and/or time-consuming it would be to show a character tossing around vehicles or something.

Turner's women are a little too cheesecake for me, but there's no denying he's an amazing artist. Hope he makes all his deadlines though. :p

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I don't see the alter ego as evil. I see it as deadly and protective, but not evil. If the alter ego starts killing good guys instead of scum, then i'll change my mind.

8. weezer

May 16, 2001
    The show is up on iTunes its definatly more expensive then free but thats alright.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    yeah. i'm confused about Ali Larter's character's power. i hope we learn more soon about that. then i'm interested in the 2 brothers. do both of them have the power of flight?

10. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Or does only the one? It would still explain why Peter kept having the dreams about flying if it was actualy his brother saving him from falling. Plus it adds that nice bit of irony to his mother's "hero worship" line.

11. LosDosMos

Apr 16, 2005
    Chapter 2 was even better than Chapter 1. :D

Claire getting tackled was hilarious. [face_laugh] Didn't see that one coming at all. Actually, there's not much I saw coming in this episode, which is great. :D

For someone who was expecting to see a brutal crime scene, Niki sure opened the door of her garage wider than she needed to. :p Way to be discreet. Fortunately, Evil Alter Ego seems to not only tougher than Niki, but smarter. But how did the red convertible end up with her name on its registration? Is 4 hours enough to clean up a crime scene, obtain a new car, move the bodies, and arrange for good!Niki to find her way to a graveyard? [face_thinking]

When Mohinder (the man, not the lizard ;) ) was looking at the stuff on the flashdrive that chick found in the lizard's cage, it looked like there were blank parts that formed a pattern. The floaties in the pool at Matt's serial killing also seemed to be set in that pattern. [face_thinking]

Loved Peter getting angry at Nathan and not realizing he was flying. :D

And Hiro! I was so shocked when he found Isaac dead (how dumb was he to pick up the gun?) but it never occurred to me that he went 5 weeks into the future. This show is surprising me a lot more than I expected it to, which is awesome.

Can't wait for next week. [face_dancing]

12. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Ok that was really cool.

So now we've gotten two glimpses of this future. How many eps before we get our first hints of what is causing it, or have we already gotten them [face_thinking]

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    I missed it again. [face_frustrated]

14. weezer

May 16, 2001
    It streams on NBC.com.

Or iTunes tommorow.

15. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    The first show I quite liked. The second one? They now have me booked for Mondays (at least until 24 comes on, at which point I'll have to get creative).

And it may only have been two episodes, but that's enough for some completely unfounded speculation :p:

Glasses guy is not the "bad guy" per se. He knows about Sylar (the serial killer), knows that he's a super, and knows that Mohinder's dad is involved. He and his agency are trying to stop Sylar and possibly any super, seeing them all as a danger. When they learn that all the main supers and/or Sylar are in New York, they fire a nuke to make sure they've finished the job.

16. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Maybe.

I've been wondering if he isn't a red herring of sorts too.

I'm always one that thinks the simplest answer is the best so I think he is infact the killer and he is cutting out the other super's brains and eating them (and soon he is going to go after his own "daughter"). Don't know why he is doing that, maybe in an attempt to absorb their power [face_thinking]

On the other thing these shows have shown us time and time again that the simplest answer isn't always the best.

17. Lord_Hydronium

Jun 11, 2002
    The problem with that is that the most recent killing was in LA, while glasses man has been in New York, then Odessa for the past few days.

18. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Um...the force. No wait, a wizard did it.

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    watching it right now. so far so good. a little confused on why Nathan is denying to Peter about the flight thing. maybe he doesn't want Peter to know the truth?

EDIT: So there's a history of suicide in the family...

funny with Hiro fainting in front of the police
    :p

20. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    Second ep was even better than the first, and I loved how they moved all the established characters stories forward even while introducing a new one.

Also, I think I know what Niki's power is- she's an subconscious reality-bender. There's nothing else that really makes sense besides something, perhaps an evovled fight or flight response, can influence reality in Niki's favor.

21. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I'm convinced glasses man IS Sylar. And Niki seems to be in two places at once. She's a weird one to figure out.

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i'm going to have to watch the episodes several times to fully comprehend what is going on. some of it's too much to take in with one viewing.

23. Lord_Hydronium

Jun 11, 2002
    The registration's actually dated June, so apparently Mirror Niki has been active for awhile.

24. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Loved the show!
    Reminds me of a book I read called "Those Who Walk in Darkness" by John Ridley
    It's a tale of people discovering powers such a these, adopting superhero/super villian personas till it all leads to a catastrophe - kinda like that one painting they found of what looked like a nasty explosion.

25. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Really liked the first episode, totally loved and am now hooked to Heroes after tha last one. LOL

I was surprised that Glasses found out abuot his duaghter so soon. I would have thought that an easy plot device to stretch out an entire season. The fact it's not being used is good and that makes me hope even better ideas to pop up.

Also was a bit more graphic than I'd expect for TV, but hey, I'm loving it. Hiro picking up the gun and the way he did was overly lame. Totally telegraphed the arrival of the police.

Nikkie's alter ego is an interesting one and I look forward to seeing her in flesh evetually.

Great humor with Hiro fainting in from fo the police and Clair's male freinds's face after she got tackled. OMG too funny! [face_laugh]

Very creative show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.