main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Road Trip? Star Wars Props and more on exhibit in Charlotte's Discovery Place

Discussion in 'Archive: Greenville, NC' started by Dal--Intrepid, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Thanks to a post I saw elsewhere, it has come to my attention that there is an exhibit called "Action! An Adventure in Moviemaking" at the Discovery Place in Charlotte. (Discovery Place is kind of like Exploris in Raleigh). The exhibit has props from numerous movies including the Star Wars films, plus an interactive feature where you can be in your own action adventure scene.

The exhibit runs through January 2007. There is also an IMAX theater at this place. You just pay the admission price to get into Discovery Place and the exhibit is part of it. It's a little extra to catch an IMAX movie, but the whole thing is roughly between $10-$15 depending on what you do.

That being said, who is up for planning a road trip in a month or two? I think this is a very doable day trip if we leave early in the morning. Charlotte used to be 5 hours before speed limits went up, so I think it's significantly less now. I did it under 4 hours a few years ago for a wrestling convention, leaving Greenville between 6-7am. I have also been chatting with Jada, the new Charlotte FF CR, and she'd very much like for our Fan Forces to meet up while we're there.

Anyway, be thinking about if you'd like to do this and when. I would think the next couple of months would be best. Once the holidays roll around, we'll probably never do it.

Some links:

Discovery Place - Has exhibit information, times, prices, IMAX info, etc.

Action! An Adventure in Moviemaking - Website for the exhibit itself. Overview of what's in the exhibit and where it is touring.

TK-2970's Pics - These are some personal pics taken by someone at the Charlotte boards who has already been to the exhibit. Gives you an idea of some things you could expect to see.

2. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Hey, I'm going to give them a call and see if there could be a group discount. I've also mentioned this to the Winston-Salem folks and thought it would be cool to invite the other NC fan forces.

I'd suggest doing this after D*Con since that is the hot topic right now. ;)

3. The_Green_Ranger

The_Green_Ranger Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 18, 2004
    depending on when it is and my school/work hunting stuff at that time, I'd LOVE to go. those pics look sweet.

4. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Hey all, I'm going to send Dal a PM about this but Saturday the 28th Discovery Place is having a big celebration day by having the 501st come out. So not only will there be the Movie exhibit but there will also be the costumed characters.

AND, you could afterwards go to Rebel Base Comics and Toys. They are pretty awesome. ;)

After that we could maybe meet up and play a board game or something.

Let me know!
    ~Jada :)

5. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    So is anybody available for this on the 28th? Are some of you already going with the 501st? I'd still need to check my wife's work schedule to make sure I'm not on child duty.

6. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    <bats eyelashes> [face_batting] <------- is batting eyelashes 8-}

It would just be great to meet up with you all. :D

7. Jedi_Master_Kel

Jedi_Master_Kel Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2002
    I won't be able to make this. We are redoing our master bathroom and Stephanie has to do her internship this Saturday.

Sorry.

Kevin H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.