main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Robocop Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    [image=http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/jedimasterronoc/robo.jpg]

interesting set of movies. i haven't seen them in a while. i know a couple of sequels were made after Robocop 1 and 2 but they didn't have Peter Weller in them. anyone else seen those sequels? how are they?

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Anything after Robocop 2 is really lame in my opinion. Robocop 2 is borderline lame in my opinion as well.

3. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    The sequels are bad enough that they retconned them out with a new series of sequels. I guess they are supposed to be pretty decent films but I haven't seen them.

Also bad enough to make Frank Miller swear off working in Hollywood ever again. Rodriguez was only able to convince him by making a decidedly "non-Hollywood" film.

4. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I liked the first two movies. I don't understand why people hate part two so much, it seems a perfectly good action movie to me. As for the rest Part three wasn't up to much and I seem to remember some horrible shortlived tv series. There was also a mini series or a bunch of tv movies, but the name escapes me. They were alright nothing exceptional.

5. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Yeah, I don't get why people are so hard on part 2, either. It's definitely not as good as the original, but it's a pretty good action flick and it has its share of cool moments and some funny ones as well.

Now part 3, that was crap.

6. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I've seen most of the second one - they're interesting movies and definitely part of the sci-fi timeline IMHO. Not something I could watch over and over but still amusing.

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i'm thinking of picking up the first movie on dvd sometime

8. Only_Wan_Kenobi

Only_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2005
    The first one was good but, the rest sucked.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I loved the first two movies. Can't really stand three and never watched the TV movies. Did watch a couple of episodes of the live action series, but it wasn't that good. I did like the Marvel series when Simon Furman replaced Alan Grant, who wrote it too much like Judge Dredd and too comic book like. Furman at least kept it consistant with the first two films.

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    *bumped* for redundant thread

11. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    The first Robocop is great bloody fun. It seems to surprise people how funny it actually is. The only other Robocop I've seen is the Prime Directives mini-series from a few years ago. I only watched an hour or so of it, and it was quite bad.

Peter Weller rocks, by the way, as Robocop and in just about everything else he does.

12. howardgarbo

howardgarbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    Sorry I started a new thread. I searched for an existing one but none came up for some reason.

13. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Verhoevens movie was great. Clever, violent, satirical. The rest of them really sucked. Part 2 had a couple of moments, but they werent enough. " Robocop " shouldve been a stand alone with no sequels.

14. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    the original is a classic, although the over-riding theme's are completely lost, and it's viewed as a "cool robot movie".

The TV show was weak - a bit like the A-Team as there was the suggestion of violence, but no-one ever got hurt or killed.

15. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I just watched the criterion edition of Robocop last night for the first time. It kicks ***.

16. Jedipete33

Jedipete33 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2004
    Robocop is one of the best action movies ever made in my opinion. Only Verhoeven can cram that much violence into one film, and still keep things like story important. To bad someone like Verhoeven never got to make Judge Dredd. He would have made that film fantastic.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I saw Robocop3 many years ago, I remember not hating it, but I can't remember too much about it.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they disliked the original Robocop. One big thing I find interesting is the aspect of a cyborg that is mostly robtoics rather than a person that has a robotic part or two. People might be ok as The Six Million Dollar Man because in that way you stilll look like a human and might feel like a human with super powers, but as Robocop most of your parts are gone and even your mind is tampered with. I would think you'd have to have your mind altered or else you'd go insane. Then again, there are other scifi stories in which people will happily upload or become a part of machine leaving behind their real bodies for various reasons.
    It's interesting that in Robocop's world he is more Machine than Man, but is the most humane character in the films as compared to the majority around him.

Robo-Cain is IMO one of the coolest film robots ever made.

[image=http://www.robocoparchive.com/info/cain27.jpg]

[image=http://www.robocoparchive.com/info/cain17.jpg]

[image=http://www.robocoparchive.com/info/cain21.jpg]

According the the web page that these pics come from the model maker's mock-up is 9 feet tall.

There is a Robo-Cain toy of some sort coming out this year which is already on sale in Japan. I think it's the Kotobukiya line and therefore high quality and expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.