main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Rocie's art - Finally updated again 5/25! Check it out!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rocie, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    *bows* thank you very much. Trees are one thing that I feel I got good at in 9th grade art class, oh, about 14 years ago. It has been a long time since I've actually drawn something myself and colored it afterwards. It feels good to get complements like this. Gotta draw more so I can get praised more.

2. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Alrighty, I've done a little more I want to share. My big project, well, I'm trying the space related things on another sheet of paper for now just to see if I can get it to look good, then I'll combine.

This one I want to share I call Night Fog

I've also made an addition to Wren

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I really like the tree you added to the one of Wren. It really makes the piece look finished. :)

Also, interesting concept in the Night Fog one. Is that supposed to be a church off in the distance?

4. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    I like the tree bark, Rocie. And great effect in "Night Fog". What kind of structure is that over the hill?

5. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Before I proceed to tell you what the building is, I will tell you I live in Utah. The land of many LDS temples. This is one of them. The only one in the world named for a mountain, Mt. Timpanogos.

Here's the story behind this picture.

I was driving to work one night in a thick black fog. All the city surrounding this temple was hidden in the fog, but just like in the picture, the temple lights shone through. It was pretty cool.

And I think the other tree adds more depth to the picture, and makes it more complete. :)

6. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    That explains it. Very nice. :D

7. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    I really like the "feel" of "Night Fog," Rocie! I've been out on nights like that, and you managed to capture the feel of that "ethereal" effect very well! I see the light coming from behind the intervening ridge--I was guessing a building, too! :)

FF

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Ooo...a temple. Yup, that makes more sense now. It's always cool to read the background story to a piece of art. It makes it even more interesting to look at. ;)

9. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Thank you all for your comments. It was fairly simple to draw, since I look at that Temple every morning on the way to work. And the image of it shining through the fog stuck in my head.

I've worked on drawing a planet for my big project. I haven't scanned it in yet, but will try to later today for opinions. There are a couple of things I can see with it that I know I can do better with, but once it's posted, I'd like to have some other opinions on it. As I believe I've said, my plan is to try out drawing the other components of the picture, get good at the different components, and combine them. And when I do, I'll make the wrist so it either isn't swollen, or make it look like it's supposed to be. ;)

10. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    As I posted just above this post, here's the planet. Please be brutal. I see something I know I can improve on when I do this for real, but I won't tell you what, just to see if you think I can improve it as well.

Kpathia Planet

11. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    That's not bad at all, Rocie. I want to point out that I like the composition. Most people just like to stick things smack dab in the middle of the paper. This actually hurts a piece of art greatly. Your eye is directly drawn to this object and offers no room for your eye to travel elsewhere in the piece. The way you have the planet off to the side and running off the page is a nice step and helps to add movement. :)

Now for the "brutal" things. Well, they're not all that brutal, but I'll let you judge. :p First of all, the right side is pretty blank and could use some objects over there. Maybe just even little spots of white to symbolize stars would help. The planet itself also seems fairly dull. Perhaps add some shading to the land masses and maybe instead of having the land all the same shape, to vary them a little and make some larger, smaller etc.

That's all I can see at first glance. I have a feeling I didn't catch the thing you were looking for, but I hope that still helped. ;)

12. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey, Rocie, way to go: I've never been brave enough to try "space scenes!" (Or "scenes" at all, for that matter! :p ) I'll agree with HS29 about the composition--it leaves freedom for there to be "more" in the piece (will there be more...?). On the planet itself, don't be afraid to shade "aggressively:" there's usually a very distinct transition from light to dark on a planetary body, with a very narrow "terminator" (gradient from light to dark) and the "dark side" is generally obscured, unless there's another nearby body reflecting light onto that side (think about a quarter moon, seen through a telescope...very definite "shadow" there--or try looking at a tennis ball, with a bright light shining on only one side, and try to see what I'm babbling about! :D ) I admire your chutzpah, tackling all these tough images to draw! ;)
    Keep it up!

FF

13. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Thanks for your input. I left a lot of space on the right side of the scene because that's where(in another drawing of it) the reflection of a face will be. It may help me with the shading that there will be that hand over part of the planet as well.

I'll work on island variety and different shading for my next attempt. :)

Me and spousie think that the island in the upper right side of the planet is a little dark for being dayside. What do you guys(yes, Han, I know you're a lady. just grouping everyone together ;) ) think of it?

14. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    I don't know...I guess I attributed the "difference" in color to different vegetation on a continental mass nearer the pole...(on which, by the way, I really like the ice caps!)? I wouldn't worry too much about it (but then, that's me! :D ). Earth from orbit has landmasses of many different colors, due to different conditions on the surface (desert, dense forests, mountains, etc.)--I think it's alright. :)

FF

15. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    No offense taken, Rocie. I do it too. ;)

As for the one side of the planet appearing a little too light - I think it could benefit from "shading aggressively"(like FalconFan said ;) ). And now that you explained the reason for the empty space to the right, I think it'll look great when it's completed. :)

16. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Well, I've altered the planet, but haven't scanned it in. I do have another pic to share.

Gyeren Feli, displeased Jedi Knight

I am rather proud of the floor, and may draw more wood floors. :D

17. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Rocie, I've got to say that your work keeps getting better each time I see something new. I really like your 'Night Fog' drawing. It embodies the atmosphere of a foggy day quite nicely. :)

Nice wood floor too! ;)

18. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Thank you very much, ObiDawn. I've admired your work with Padme drawings, myself.

I've altered the planet picture and want further opinions on it.

The planet, take 2

Look any better? Any further opinions of how to improve it more while I work on practicing more hands for the project? I do one great hand, and you think I can duplicate it? [face_plain] I'm working on it though. :D Not one to give up easily.

19. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I like the expression on the Jedi. You can really tell she's upset about something - but, what is the question. ;) Her posture also helps to convey her emotions quite nicely.

Now onto your planet - much, much better. Your planet now has a sense of space to it. By adding more shading to the one side, it now looks like it occupies space and is a three-dimensional shape. :)

20. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Thanks. I've been working on the final drawing of my project. Practiced hands again until I got a good one...and traced it onto the paper I'm using. :D Right now, it's a hand with a viewport around it. And only that.

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Rocie, your planet looks good! It has better volume now from the shading, making it look more like a globe. Fantastic to see your progress. :)

22. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Well, I've made great progress toward my big project. It's all sketched out on paper, and before I do any more, I would like any suggestions on how to improve it.

Final Look at Home

I never thought I could ever even get it to look this good. :D

23. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Well, since I want to get pointers on my project before I get any further than I am, I've drawn another pic.

Huntress

Please give opinions and suggestions on both of these so I may improve my skills. :D Feel free to be harsh on both of these pics.

24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hmm...how'd I miss your update to this thread last night? My apologies...

And onto your sketch of your project - first of all, congratulations on actually making it this far. When you first started out on this little "quest", I remember the PM you sent to me where you weren't so sure and pretty nervous about going on. And now, here you are nearly completed with it. You have really come a long way and I admire your efforts. Keep up the great work! :D

The sketch itself looks very good as a whole. I think you have a very strong composition and not to mention, a very original idea. The only thing that looks strange and unnatural is the position in which you have the hand. It's bending in an odd angle just beyond the area around the wrist. Now, by just studying your own arm, you can see that there is no joint in this area that would allow for this type of movement. The arm would come in on a more straight angle than curved. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say there. Other than that, it looks fairly strong and I think you're ready to move onto the final piece. :)

Moving right along to the huntress - nice little portrait you have there. BIG improvement from some of your past work. You can really see the progress with each drawing you post. The facial proportions look pretty decent. The only thing that seems a little odd is the placement of the eyes. They seem too close to each other and it doesn't leave enough room for the bridge of the nose. You also may have a little bit too much chin. And just one more small thing - the neck appears to be too long. I hope I didn't tear that one apart too much. [face_worried] Just trying to be helpful. ;)

25. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    Well, it's good!

But, for the face, the nose is completely straight and entirelly outlined, never a good idea...the nose has to be very subtle or it dominates the picture and makes it look rather odd.

The eyes should be a touch bigger, and the chin was just a bit too big.

Remember, the uppeer lip is naturally smaller than the lower...yours is bigger.

The neck is a wee bit too long. It's a really common mistake to make chicken-necks.

On the posative side, although the top of the head seemed somewhat crooked...it showed good detail.

heehee. Um, yeah, I'll shut up. I'm a portait sketcher and I just wanted to help a bit. Hope I didn't hurt your feelings, you do show promise after practice.

Edit- Whoops, shoulda read Han's reply first! [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.