main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Rock Bottom, No Longer: The XFL Reboots in 2022

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Jan 28, 2020.

1. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I see Perez is still hanging in there as a perennial Spring League QB1.

Edit: first game hit the betting over. 36 pts so far.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    The Jedi in the Pumas likes this.
  2. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    So many insane highlights this game. Perez just fumbled, recovered and launched one for like 25 yards.

3. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Hello there former Giant Cody Latimer.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. BlankEquestrian

BlankEquestrian Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 20, 2021
    I suppose there was tons of market research on this, but I’m surprised the time to try to make one of these semi-pro leagues work is the very next week after the Super Bowl; isn’t that precisely when we’ve all right well had enough of football?

Anyway, go Sea Dragons, cuz that’s an awesome name.

5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I think it makes perfect sense. People are used to having football every weekend for the past several months, and many would be disappointed that there is no more football until August. The XFL is capitalizing on that hunger for football by continuing the "football every weekend" streak. If they wait until, let's say, April, that hunger disappears and people don't realize that football is being played.

The XFL did the same in 2020, and so did the AAF in 2019. The USFL is the odd one out by starting in April, though maybe this year with the XFL bridging the gap, they will fare better.

6. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Week 1 wasn't too bad really. I enjoyed what i saw.

7. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    The most exciting part of week 1.

Nice to see DC fans have something to cheer about for once @Juliet316

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I watched a bit of tonight's game, and some of last week's opener. Not a great example of football, and it sounds like the viewership wasn't nearly where it was at in 2020. Can't imagine this lasting more than two seasons at most.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The DC team is called the DC defenders? My god what a boring name. At least it’s not racist.

10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’m operating under the idea that the XFL and USFL are both trying to last long enough to see if one can absorb the other, and both are operating under the idea that the viewership of themselves and the AAF shows the market can handle at least one semi-pro league being nationally televised, they just have to last long enough to get in the black - with that being the hard part that no one’s yet managed in the long term.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  11. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I do genuinely believe this is true. They certainly won't get anywhere close to the NFL's viewership numbers, but they can certainly get enough to sustain themselves.

Ah yes, that's the trick. If they don't have a rich person behind them willing to fund them out of pocket for a few years, they won't get to that point.

Also, I would dispute the adjective "semi-pro". That implies that the players earn some money but still have to hold another job to make ends meet (example: lowest levels of minor league baseball). XFL players are paid $5,000 per game plus a $1,000 bonus per win, so with a 10-game regular season and two playoff rounds, players can earn anywhere from $50,000 (if on a winless team) to $72,000 (undefeated champion). That is in addition to a benefits package worth around $20,000, including housing and two meals per day during the season. That means players are earning a comfortably lower middle class income from football alone, which means the XFL is fully professional.

12. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Not worth the money for a life time spent with a broken beat down body and all the rage problems that go along with playing football from head trauma.

13. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I never said it was worth making your entire career in the XFL. You certainly couldn't as that's not the type of income that would allow you to retire in 10-15 years. I only meant to say that it pays enough to live on for a year or two, without needing a "day job", until you figure out whether you can make it in the NFL, figure out what to do with your life, or just decide you're satisfied that you've lived your dream.

The Jedi in the Pumas likes this.
  14. BlankEquestrian

BlankEquestrian Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 20, 2021
    Thanks for the info @jcgoble3 — my favorite thing about these leagues has always been imagining the guys on the teams free of the 9-5 for that blissful short time, so it’s heartwarming to hear those figures.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    First saw this in my Facebook news feed and it's interesting to me since he was the backup for the Bengals for a bit:

16. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    BigAl6ft6 and jcgoble3 like this.
  17. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Dang the St Louis game has a healthy attendence.
    Biggest XFL crowd by far. St Louis misses football.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  18. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Does anyone else really, really like the XFL’s officiating this year - in comparison to college and NFL rules, at least?

Don't get me wrong, I know of at least one call that went wrong, and some coaches still feel like some games have ref crews let them down in one way or another… but having Dean Blandino as the single, consistent reviewer of all the challenges and automatic reviews of the game seems to have worked beautifully - if for no other reason than it seems like everyone’s getting the same standard game to game.

…And thus far, the whole ability to challenge for penalties seems to work pretty well too.

19. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    solojones likes this.
  20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
  21. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Obviously, the new name should be XUSFL.

22. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    The ex-USFL? :p

23. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    FLOXUS

24. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    UFL is an awful middle ground and has already been used.

25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'll only pay attention to it for STFC purposes.