main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Roger Goodell Sucks! The Bill Simmons Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Jul 22, 2015.

1. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Honest question, is anyone at the Ringer insightful or funny anymore? I got frustrated reading their 2-minute articles years ago and fully gave up after Bill's hilarious "Can Isaiah Thomas topple Goliath?!" piece.

Narrator: He couldn't.

[​IMG]

DarthTunick likes this.
  2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The last straw for me was during the World Series last year; being the first Dodger/Red Sox matchup since the 1910’s, I’d hope Simmons would write an article or two, in particular a mailbag (which was my favorite thing he did).

[​IMG]

Nothing. Not everything has to be a podcast.

I realize this doesn’t directly relate to your point, but **** it. :p

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Russillo is pretty good, but I just listen to his podcasts. And the Binge Mod team of Mallory Rubin and Jason Concepcion.

But that's it, the rest suck. And yeah Bill needs to do a mailbag. I listen to his podcasts every so often, but since he doesnt watch baseball anymore its not as good during the summer to early fall months.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    They have some tremendous contributors, and a lot of meh milquetoast. KOC is solid for NBA coverage, and they actually provide WNBA coverage. Plus, Shea Serrano is a god.

Darth McClain likes this.
  5. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm basically counting down the minutes until Movies (And Other Things) comes out. I like Brian Phillips, too.

I hate their website design.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Darth McClain and heels1785 like this.
  7. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    I can't believe--well, I can believe--that he's doing the long-promised "Book" of Basketball-update as a podcast. Ugh.

Also, Jason Concepcion is insufferable. I flat-out won't even listen to any pod he's on entirely because of his machine-gun laugh (which he breaks out at things that aren't even remotely actually funny.)

8. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Really? Jason Concepcion is my favorite Ringer personality.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i like him too. [face_dunno]

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yes. The Ringer still produces great content

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That is absolutely amazing...

12. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    The Ringer has been sold to Spotify. Should be interesting what hapoens with the fledgling Ringer Union.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Guess Bill is cashing out, and can basically do podcasting in his spare time whilst retired. Not a bad life...

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Isn't that what he's been doing lately? :p

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Spotify really getting aggressive in the Podcast acquisition market. I'm still not really a podcast person. I listen to two, and most of the time, I don't listen to them at all. I've never listened to a single Ringer Podcast.

Still, the model is interesting. And remains to be seen if Spotify is looking to win on their own in that market by creating and housing exclusive content. Or if they are trying to position themselves for an acquisition by a larger media company who needs the Podcast piece already figured out.

16. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Actual conversation between Bill and Mark Cuban on the pod today.

Cuban: “I wasn’t able to go to the bubble for the playoffs, we had a death in the family.”

Bill: “Oh man, but the basketball was out of control!”

I love socially unaware Bill.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Honestly, don't know where to post this, but it needs to be shared. One of the most powerful, and perhaps the most difficult to get through, reads I've ever had on the Ringer: Jonathan Tjarks on cancer diagnosis, fatherhood, faith, people, and so much more.

I couldn't read this one in just one setting. I got through a chunk. Had to pause, recollect myself, stop crying, and then go back and read some more. Damn, the humanity in this piece.

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    The most relatable part for me was his description how “you’d like to go where everyone knows your name”; it’s why I will always love this place, treasure the people I’ve got to know, met outside of here so far, etc. I don’t want ever want kids (no way I could handle such a responsibility), so having people I normally wouldn’t have ever known have knowledge, get a sense of my interests, etc, means everything to me.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Simmons on the Manningcast. He asked Eli what his favorite hold was during his escape from the Pats' D and throw to Tyree, so Eli answered that his favorite hold was Tyree's hand on his helmet.

LloydChristmas and dp4m like this.
  20. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    That was one of Goodell's early years IIRC.

21. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
  22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Oh god, it's so beautiful

Point Given likes this.
  23. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
  24. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    DarthIntegral and DarthTunick like this.