main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Rogue Jedi 2.0 - Kyp Durron story index and discussion thread - Challenge #1 is up, with a prize!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kyp_Durron_Index, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Kyp_Durron_Index

Kyp_Durron_Index Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2014
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the new Kyp Durron fanfic index and discussion thread! This thread is dedicated to our favourite dark-haired, green-eyed rogue Jedi. It'll be run under this sock, so if Darth Real Life interferes with your current host (Iverna), the thread will live on. ;)

So come one, come all, and let's talk about Kyp Durron! You're welcome to ask questions about specific characterisation issues, share or discuss canon material, etc. Please do keep the fanfic rules in mind. And I know Kyp is something of a contentious character, a "polarising figure" according to Wookieepedia, but please keep discussions here civil! Also, please remember that people ship Kyp with various characters, canon and OC. For the purposes of this thread, Kyp doesn't have any official lady friend. You're welcome to debate who suits him best or whatever, but please, no shipper wars, 'kay? This is a Kyp thread, not a pairing thread, so you can pair Kyp with whomever you want.

In terms of promoting/sharing your Kyp stories: if you want to share your story here, please send a PM to this account to have it added to the index. The only exception is for challenge entries or responses to someone looking for a specific fic, you're welcome to post links to those.

If you have any suggestions, requests, resources to add, etc, please PM Iverna. And if you'd like your fic added to or taken off the index below, please PM this sock.

Submission to the index

If you'd like to submit a story, please PM this sock with the following information:

Title:
    Link (just the url, please, no markups or hyperlinks):
    Author(s):
    Timeframe:
    Characters:
    Summary:
    Genre:
    Keywords:
    Notes:

If you don't have any info for a particular heading, just leave it out.

Helpful links and resources

Fan Fiction Index
    Fan Fiction FAQ
    Kyp Durron on Wookieepedia

Challenge Index

Just follow each link for full details. You can enter each challenge at any time, even if a new one has been posted.
    1. Challenge #1: Write a fic which includes a search and the number 20. (7. Feb, 2014)

2. Kyp_Durron_Index

Feb 6, 2014
    The Kyp Durron Fanfiction Index

[​IMG]

Part 1: Authors A-M

Ceillean

Title: Diamonds Are Forever
    Characters: Kyp Durron, Jaina/Jag
    Summary: Kyp and Jaina are undercover, but Jag's unexpected appearance throws a wrench in the works.

earlybird-obi-wan

Title: Kyp's friends
    Author: Earlybird-obi-wan
    Characters: Kyp Durron, OC’s
    Genre: adventure
    Summary: short challenge pieces featuring Kyp Durron

Title: Dreams coming true
    Author: Earlybird-obi-wan
    Timeframe: Beyond
    Characters: OC’s
    Genre: adventure
    Summary: Kyp Durron is responsible for Dorne Runia to follow her dream

Iverna

Title: Miniature Disasters
    Characters: Kyp Durron
    Timeframe: ~12-13 ABY
    Summary: Kyp struggles with himself in the aftermath of going to the dark side. One-shot.

Title: Stranded
    Author: Iverna
    Timeframe: 36 ABY (AU – no DNT, and everyone’s still alive and well)
    Characters: Jag, Kyp, Zekk, Jaina, Jacen, Anakin, Tahiri, Lowie, and a few more.
    Genre: Humour, action, a dash of romance.
    Summary: A diplomatic mission fails before it even begins and leaves the guys stranded on a tropical planet, in dire need, and yet fear, of rescue.

3. Kyp_Durron_Index

Feb 6, 2014
    The Kyp Durron Fanfiction Index

[​IMG]

Part 2: Authors N-Z

Nyota's Heart

Title: Swiftly Falling
    Characters: Kyp Durron, Octa Ramis
    Summary: Kyp/Octa one-shot

Title: Onwards & Upwards
    Characters: Kyp Durron, various others
    Summary: Series of Kyp-centric ficlets

Title: A Wedding Toast
    Genre: Friendship, Challenge Response
    Characters: Kyp & Jaina, with mention of others
    Summary: Kyp searches for the perfect gift and wedding toast for Jaina and Jag.

Title: Growing - Apart, Then Together
    Genre: Drama, introspection, humor, mostly mush.
    Characters: Liz/Kyp, supporting cast.
    Timeframe: NJO-ish
    Summary: Sequel to Ceillean's wonderful Awakened and comes before her diary Beginnings Circumstances force choices for Kyp and Liz and their paths diverge -- but soul-mates who are destined to be together will find their hearts and paths converging.

Revanfan1

Title: The Deepest Cave
    Characters: Kyp Durron
    Summary: While searching for a lightsaber crystal, Kyp must confront his inner demons.

4. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    YES!!! :D :D It's about time with have a Kyp Index and Discussion Thread.
    [face_dancing]
    Looking forward to the challenges. Haven't written a decent Kyp fic in soooo long. :D

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  5. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I shall be watching this thread as Kyp is a favourite of mine, and I do have a story with him in (though it is one I've not worked on for ages and probably won't be posting for a while), but it will be great to see what other people have come up with.

6. Kyp_Durron_Index

Feb 6, 2014
    Yep, I think we need more Kyp around here. I'm working on the first challenge right now, I'll post it tomorrow - there'll be a prize and everything! And I hope it'll get the ol' imagination going. ;)

I'll probably be re-doing the graphics and everything as well. What do you guys think of fan art? Actually, come to that... how do you picture Kyp? Any favourite canon pictures, actor photos, fan art, etc that you think represent Kyp best?

7. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    What age are we talking about? :p

As you know, for a young Kyp Durron, I prefer (looking up his name, because my memory is baaaaaaaad) Thomas McDonell. After seeing him portray Jesse (was that his name?) in Prom (yes, I admit to watching a kiddie Disney prom movie), I think he'd be a great big mouthed, brazen young Kyp Durron.

And when he's older? Where to start? :p
    Henry Cavill in Tristan and Isolde -- lovely hair, tall, athletic. He could have pulled off. Not so much anymore. Too muscly (which is a very good thing but I don't see Kyp all buff like Superman)

One of the newest official pics looks a bit like Michael Fassbender, which I find...eh. The man is so pale, he looks like a hungry Vampire. :p

Josh Holloway with dark hair maybe? There are sooooooooooo many possibilities. :D

Gemma and Iverna like this.
  8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Woohoo jinkies! Officially watching this thread =P~

Iverna likes this.
  9. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I've used Josh Holloway as a reference when drawing Kyp before. He comes pretty close, I think. He does snarky and angry sooo well. :D

Michael Fassbender is half-Irish, of course he's pale. :p He looks a little too... nice? for Kyp as well, though. Not enough edge. Kyp needs ruggedness and edge, I think. If Michael Fassbender got snarky I don't think I'd really buy it, bless him.

10. Kyp_Durron_Index

Feb 6, 2014
    Okay, so we're facing a bit of an issue here in that a lot of the fics are still truncated... So, how do you guys want to do this? List the truncated stories as well?

And importantly - do we only list Kyp-centric fics which are written more or less from Kyp's POV, or do we include fics that feature Kyp reasonably strongly but don't have him as the main focus? For instance, if the fic is about a character who's in love with Kyp, or hates his guts, do we list it? Or if it's mainly about Han, but Kyp has a pretty big role? Because I'm thinking that if the point is to help people find Kyp fics, they might well be interested in fics like that as well. And it's not like there are tons of index threads these days. I don't know. Suggestions and opinions are welcome, I want this to be a thread by the people for the people so let me know what you'd like to see! :D

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi: :D

1. I think stories where Kyp is a strong character if not necessarily the main one are great to include in the index. :)
    2. As for truncation, ooh, that's a toughie. I think if the author has the story posted elsewhere in complete form, that could be indicated with a note such as: "Story is truncated. Complete story is on ff.net." Then any interested readers could perhaps convo the author for the exact link.

Kyp_Durron_Index likes this.
  12. Kyp_Durron_Index

Feb 6, 2014
    Welcome aboard, Nyota! :D I'm thinking the same thing in terms of stories to include. We can always cull them later if it gets out of hand. And I like your idea regarding the truncation issue as well. I think for now I'll concentrate on stories that are complete/uncut, and add the others gradually and sort through them to see about links and so on. If anyone wants to help me with listing stories, you're all more than welcome to!

I'll post the first challenge in a bit. Because why not start with a bang? :D

13. Kyp_Durron_Index

Feb 6, 2014
    All right, let's just dive right into it with our first challenge. The 20th anniversary of Jedi Search is coming up - it was published on March 1, 1994, and marks the first appearance of Kyp Durron in canon. So he's officially 20 years old next month! I figured that a challenge is in order, to celebrate, so here we go.

Challenge #1: Write a fic which includes a search and the number 20.

It can be a search for an object, a person, a solution, an idea, revenge, redemption, anything. The number 20 can take any form, for example 20 people, 20th mission, 20th anniversary of an event, it can even appear as part of a name or address. It doesn't have to be prominent, as long as it's in there. Be creative! Kyp obviously has to be a main character, but he doesn't have to be the only one. He can be the one doing the searching, or the one being sought. Length and genre are up to you - action, drama, parody, AU, anything goes.

Aaand, there's a prize! If you post your entry by March 1, you'll be eligible to win a character sketch by yours truly, Iverna. Any character, canon or OC. I'll select a winner based on character portrayal and originality. Here's some examples:

[​IMG]

Note: If we get enough entries, I might add more prizes, depending on how many people take part. So please help me share this and recruit more writers so we can get tons of entries! After all, the more Kyp stories, the better, right? [face_love]

The rules:
    1. Write a fic which includes a search and the number 20, featuring Kyp Durron as a main character.
    2. Post it, or start posting it by March 1 in order to be eligible for the prize; you can still post it after March 1 if you're not ready in time, or not bothered about winning.
    3. Make sure to mention this challenge somewhere in the author notes or at the beginning of your fic.
    4. Share a link to your fic here so I can update the index.
    5. Have fun!
    Here are some quotes that might serve as inspiration and spark an idea - you can use them if you want, include them in the fic if you want, but that's entirely optional.
    • "I believe one has to escape oneself to discover oneself." - Rabih Alameddine
    • "Was it really some other person I was so anxious to discover...or was it only my own solitude that I could not abide?" - David Markson
    • "What should I possibly have to tell you, oh venerable one? Perhaps that you're searching far too much? That in all that searching, you don't find the time for finding?" - Hermann Hesse
    • "People who fit don’t seek. The seekers are those that don’t fit." - Shannon L. Alder
    • "If I cease searching, then, woe is me, I am lost. That is how I look at it - keep going, keep going come what may." - Vincent van Gogh
    • "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after." - J. R. R. Tolkien
    Feel free to toss around ideas and brainstorm here, exchange tips, or ask questions! Good luck and have fun!

14. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I would say accept/add any story where Kyp has a significant role in it. It doesn't matter if he's the main character or not. As for romance, I don't really mind them. There will be some pairings that people won't like, but then people don't have to read them if they don't want to, so I don't mind romance stories.

I don't know what to do about the truncation issue, though. I suppose if the author is still on the boards then something could be worked out (is it possible for them to edit the posts so that the story is readable?) If they aren't around on the boards any more (and this I think is a major problem with older stories), then it might not be worth listing them until the issue is fixed. How much time do you want to spend looking for them? And would it be OK to link to stories off site? (I've always been under the impression that people don't like it when you do that.)

As for picturing Kyp, I've always thought the actor who plays Connor in Angel a good likeness. (Some of the early offical art reminds me of him and Connor was a pretty angsty teenager!).

15. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I actually remember Connor. He was Angel's son, wasn't he? Short kid?

16. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Eh. I wanted to edit my last post but for some reason I can't.

So...truncation issues. Theoretically, the author could go back and edit the story. Since I'd be one of those authors (mostly, I only write Kyp), I really don't feel like going back and editing everything.

My suggestion -- start new. Whatever new fics come up that have Kyp as a character, it goes into the index. And if an author requests that his or her story be added to the index, they'll have to edit their story. But only per request.

17. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    New character thread, this is exciting! :D

The challenge looks cool, though I probably won't participate - I like Kyp, but I don't have any idea how to write him. I agree with what's been said about what to include in the Index - anything where Kyp plays a significant role that isn't truncated (whether because it's new or because it has been fixed).

As for casting, I kinda like Darren Criss as Kyp.

18. Kyp_Durron_Index

Feb 6, 2014
    All right, we'll leave the truncated fics for now, then. I'll list them if people PM and request to have them listed. But other than that - fresh start! :D

Oh, and I should clarify, for the challenge... it doesn't have to be written from Kyp's POV. He just has to be a main character. He can be the one doing the searching, or the one being sought... as long as he's a main character, it counts. ;)

19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I think I will see if I can come up with something for this challenge...it sounds fun. Do we already have the go-ahead to start? I know it has to be in before March 1, but do I just go ahead and start writing or what?

Gemma and Kyp_Durron_Index like this.
  20. Kyp_Durron_Index

Feb 6, 2014
    Yep, just jump right in and start whenever you want! :D

Revanfan1 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
  22. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    Kyp Durron might be my favorite Jedi Master from the NJO. I really enjoyed his character arc from the Vong War despite him solely being used to play devil's advocate and as a creepy love interest for Jaina. He's always struck me as Luke Skywalker's perfect foil and I've always wanted him to train Valin Horn as a Jedi Knight. I never really saw that come to fruition until I read yodakenobi's awesome fanfic series. He might have my favorite depiction of Kyp Durron that I've stumbled across. The way he played on Kyp and Han's friendship and Kyp's "polarizing" role in the Jedi Order while still playing to his strengths and inherent value to the Jedi. I was disappointed that he was simply used as a bickering voice during LoTF or FoTJ but I'm glad he's still alive!

Nyota's Heart, Ceillean and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  24. Kyp_Durron_Index

Feb 6, 2014
    Thanks guys, I'll update the index in a bit.

earlybird-obi-wan, would you mind please sending your fics to be listed via PM, to this account? Only challenge entries should be posted in this thread - like you did just there - but please send all other fics to be listed via PM. :)

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004