main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Rogue Jedi: Kyp Durron Discussion & Story Index -- Looking for a new challenge/discussion topic!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dantana Skywalker, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    This thread is for anyone who wants to write Kyp Durron but isn't sure how, or anyone who wants to improve their writing of him. If you have questions about Kyp, you can ask them here and we'll see if we can get you the answers. We also encourage discussion on his characterisation, fanfic vs. profic.

(And let's keep this nice, folks; no flaming someone else for their view on Kyp.)

This thread is also for stories focusing on Kyp (that aren't K/J, there's an index for that). Kyp/other stories are welcome here.

A little information . . .

Full Name: Kyp Durron
    Height: 1.78 m (5 feet, 10 in)
    Weight: not known, probably around 150-160 lbs., though he's of slender/lean build
    Hair: black, curly, with a few silver hairs (according to New Jedi Order & Jedi Academy Trilogy); dark brown (according to New Essential Guide To Characters)
    Eyes: green (according to New Jedi Order); dark, unspecified colour (according to Jedi Academy Trilogy); brown (according to NEGTC)
    Homeworld: Deyer colony, Anoat system
    Next of kin: mother, name unknown (deceased); father, name unknown (deceased); brother, Zeth Durron (deceased)
    Jedi Rank: Jedi Master
    Lightsaber colour: purple (white-violet according to various sources, may possibly have belonged to deceased Jedi student Gantoris); magenta (according to Jedi Academy: Leviathan)
    Apprentices: Miko Reglia, Jedi Knight (deceased; died in "Vector Prime"); Jaina Solo, Jedi Knight (her status as Kyp's apprentice varies from book to book)

Abbreviations needed in this thread:

JAT Jedi Academy Trilogy
    NJO New Jedi Order
    NEGTC New Essential Guide To Characters
    YJK Young Jedi Knights
    TNR Tales From The New Republic

[b][u]Challenges:[/u][/b]

[u]Challenge #2[/u]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=16064546&brd=10304&start=26547470]Challenge 2 located here[/link]

----------

[u]Challenge #1[/u]

We know very little about Kyp's life before Kessel. We know he was born on Deyer, that his parents were married, and he had a brother, Zeth, who was 6 years older. A small bit was given about fishing colonies, floating raft cities. Kyp was 8 when his family was taken to Kessel, and his parents died when he was 9.

Challenge: Write a vignette or short story (no max or min length) on Kyp at 8 or younger and the Durrons' home life. Post links in this thread.

Time Limit: no time limit

[u]Entries:[/u]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=18618435]Storm Coming[/link] by DantanaSkywalker

[hr]

To have your story listed here, PM me or post a link & title in the thread here.

[b][u]Story Index[/u][/b]

Total: 19

[b]DantanaSkywalker[/b]
    [ul]
    [li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=11965922]All Paths Drowned Deep In Shadow[/link][/li]
    [li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=15980110]Brothers[/link][/li]
    [li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16575148]Male Bonding[/link][/li]
    [li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=17217927]Kyp[/link] [poem][/li]
    [li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/17224649/]Catharsis Of Sufferance[/link] [WIP][/li]
    [li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=18618435]Storm Coming[/link][/li]
    [li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=17999609]Hero[/link][/li]
    [/ul]

[b]Inara[/b]
    [ul]
    [li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/beyond_the_saga/b10477/22252185/p1/]To Walk Alone[/link][/li]
    [/ul]

[b]NenYim[/b]
    [ul]
    [li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=18086371]Turn Of Stars[/link] [WIP][/li]
    [/ul]

[b]Obi_Wans_love_child[/b]
    [ul]
    [li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=22576015]Easier To Run[/link][/li]
    [/ul]

[b]Smuggler_Shidakis[/b]
    [ul]
    [li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/17920506/]Prayer[/link][/li]
    [li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/18628042/]A Week From Tomorrow[/link] [WIP][/li]
    [/ul

2. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    Well I recently wrote a fic in which a new attack by the Dark Side on children basically cause Kyp to become destroyed by his own guilt. This, coupled with an 'I am your father' type revelation send him close to the Dark Side, and finally completely into it when his anger causes the death of one of the children. Now, I wrote this as causing him to commit suicide...but how do you think the real Kyp would have handled it?

3. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    He'd feel guilt for it, a lot of guilt, but he wouldn't kill himself. He'd go off and do something to make up for the lost life (i.e., if someone other than himself were responsible, he'd probably hunt that person down and either kill them or bring them to justice; then he'd probably spend the next few years looking after children and making sure that none of the ones he came across got hurt).

If he were directly responsible, however, he'd ask someone to decide his punishment, most likely Luke, or the parents of the child.

Dana

4. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Good to know for my next series. Thanks.

5. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Decided to ressurect a "On Writing Kyp Durron" thing I wrote a while back.

Q. Do you have any tips that might help for someone who's never really written Kyp? He's a character I tend to shy away from... Any hints or manerisms I should be aware of that might be essential to not bombing him completely?

Okay. Well. This could take a while. :)

1. First of all, Kyp Durron isn't the uber-Jedi fighting machine some people think he is. He's a powerful Jedi, and he's a bit brash, but he's not almighty. [Ed: Just pretty darn close. ;)] He's human, and that makes him vulnerable

2. Personality: Kyp is a hard one to pin down. Most consistently, I'd say that he's pretty confident. Not necessarily arrogant, but he knows his own mind. Except when it comes to Jaina. Jaina flusters him.

He knows who he is, and what he wants. Mostly. He's proud, and strong, but feels remorse for what he did at Carida. At the same time, he learned a lot from it, and openly says that. He is the first to admit he was wrong, but still thinks that action is the best course, rather than sitting and twiddling thumbs.

He's impulsive. He is an eloquent speaker, and has a sarcastic sense of humour. It's a very dry wit at times.

He's mellowed a bit in recent years, partially from watching someone very close to him skirt the Dark Side. He doesn't like feeling helpless. He's very independent and the take-charge type, but he's not adverse to being a follower, if he he believes someone knows what they're doing, or if he feels he can help in some way.

He sees himself as above a lot of the Jedi, but a lot of this attitude is based on fact. He's powerful, talented, and charismatic.

He thinks Corran Horn is full of himself. They've never gotten along. If you have Corran in your story, Kyp and Corran will clash. They don't get along. Corran hates his guts and would kill him if he could. Corran has even said this.

Kyp admired Anakin Solo. He liked Anakin. He doesn't like Jacen, though he's getting better about that. Now that Jacen has come back from his months with the Vong, he and Kyp get along a lot better.

Kyp DOES admire Luke, but wishes Luke would take more initiative. Kyp's impatient, and sitting around just isn't his thing.

He DOES NOT hate Jag. Jag annoys him, but he doesn't hate him. He has a grudging admiration for the younger man's piloting skills, though, like a lot of K/Jers, thinks he's too stiff, formal, and lacking in personality. [Ed: He's also jealous 'cause Jag's macking with his girl. ;)]

When he forms friendships, he sticks with them. He's incredibly fond of Han, who is a surrogate father/brother figure for him. He's not as close with Leia, evidently not for lack of trying on his part. Leia is apparently difficult to get close to, and she has a tendency to carry grudges.

Kyp likes leadership, and it suits him. He's got the personality for it. He's a natural red-yellow-blue personality, which is why he's so complex. Red personalities tend to be stubborn, charismatic, sometimes manipulative, sometimes arrogant. He takes the initiative, and others look up to him. Yellow, on the other hand, is a bit flighty, less responsible, very friendly, also charismatic, fun-loving, impulsive. Blue is what causes Kyp to stick with things. Blue is the loyalist, responsible personality, with concern and caring. He's gained this in his personality over the years. It's what keeps him by Jaina's side, looking out for her.

Jaina is the one thing that confuses Kyp. He admires her for her skills, likes her, and also finds himself attracted to her. He thinks he can't be attracted to her, because she's his friend, and the daughter & niece of some of the greatest people in his life. He knows what to do in every situation except ones where he has to deal with Jaina, or his feelings for Jaina. He loves her, but he's in denial. She's caused him pain by not taking him seriously. Under the arrogant facade, he just wants to do good, and he wants Jaina to see him as a man, and not her "uncle". He has, however, made some progre

6. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Hi, Dana! I have to admit that I lurk in most of your stories. [face_blush] I'm first and foremost a L/M fan, but I've been getting obsessed with K/J lately. I would love to try and write a K/J story, but I'm not sure I could do it justice. Also, the plot bunnies are apparently hiding from me, as I can't really think of a good story idea!

I notice you didn't mention Kyp's relationship with Mara. ;) I, for one, think Mara would have forgiven Kyp for stealing her ship a long time ago, but she would probably not come right out and tell him so. I see Kyp and Mara as being a lot alike in many ways...both tough and independent, with a good dose of confidence thrown in there. What's your opinion on this?

7. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Kayladie97 - you'll never know unless you try! I say, go for it! If you're having trouble, there are pleanty of people to ask.

I've never written fan fic before a month or so ago when I started writing A Twist of Fate, and wasn't sure how well I would do with Kyp/Jaina/Jag, but I think it's going pretty well so far. I see you have other stories on the boards, so you're familiar with writing fan fiction, and that's a start.

So, I reiterate - go for it! (If you can find a plot bunny) Count me in as a reader when and if you post it :D

~Abby~

8. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I didn't think much of Kyp at first, mostly because I didn't like the KJA books. But then, without that trilogy, there would be no Kyp, and there would be no Jedi Academy for Mike Stackpole to make fun of with I, Jedi. :p

Anyway, I thought Kyp was really arrogant when I first started reading the NJO books, but the more I read, the more I respected and then liked how he thought. It annoyed me to NO END that Luke was just sitting around doing nothing, which I don't think is very Luke-like (of cuorse, I was going by his character in ESB, so there you go). Kyp's determination to fight was, I thought, very true to him.

Kyp reminds me of Anakin Skywalker, in fact. Anakin does what he does because he thinks he's doing the right thing and is helping people, and Kyp's kind of the same way, e.g. the Sernpidal incident. They are both powerful, both hold themselves above other Jedi, even their own masters at times, but are also humble enough to recognize their masters' wisdom. And of course, both have a thing for women they're not supposed to be attracted to. [face_love] And when they don't get their way, they get mad and try to make things work for them.

Boy, this is new territory for me. Usually I'm a PT/OT/X-wing kind of reader. But Kyp is fun, too. [face_batting]

9. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    What I don't understand is how we got the whole Kyp liking Jaina thing. Maybe its Dark Journey-I haven't read the whole book. But it seemed to me like it was only one way attraction(from Jaina to Kyp) and only in the Edge of Victory series. I could be wrong...

10. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    Ah... someone needs to re-read the Enemy Lines duo...

It's all very soap opera. XD

11. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    What I don't understand is how we got the whole Kyp liking Jaina thing. Maybe its Dark Journey-I haven't read the whole book. But it seemed to me like it was only one way attraction(from Jaina to Kyp) and only in the Edge of Victory series. I could be wrong...

1. In "Dark Journey", Kyp is eyeing Jaina in the red dress. His expression "dispelled any fatherly comparisons".

2. In "Rebel Dream", he mentally denies being in love with her, except his actions and his entire argument against being in love with her are in direct constrast with his "I'm not in love with her" statement. Also, Jaina repeatedly makes references to Kyp's "advances"

3. In "Rebel Stand", Jaina brings up his feelings for her at their picnic.

4. In "Ylesia", Jaina tells Jacen that Kyp's been feeling "sentimental" towards her.

There are more examples, but I can't recall them off the top of my head at the moment. Primary books for K/J stuff are (these aren't all that's in the books, just what I can recall at the moment):

Edge of Victory II: Rebirth - K/J flirting, Jaina having "funny feelings"
    Dark Journey - ]bit of flirting, bit of 'shippy "You're saving me" exchanges; also Kyp's reaction to The Red Dress
    Rebel Dream - mentions of Kyp's advances, Kyp's denial that he's in love with her
    Rebel Stand - picnic scene
    Destiny's Way - bit of flirting
    Ylesia - Jaina telling Jacen Kyp's feeling "sentimental"; Kyp gets flustered when Jaina tells him to not be concerned
    The Unifying Force - Jaina discusses with Jacen possible feelings for Kyp; Jag thinks Jaina's trying to dump him for Kyp

There's more, but those are the main ones.

I'm sort of writing an essay/thesis on K/J. I'll be posting it on KAJSU when I'm done.

Dana

12. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Jag thinks Jaina's trying to dump him for Kyp

[face_laugh] I haven't read TUF yet, but that one bit is pushing me toward the bookstore.

13. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I haven't read TUF yet, but that one bit is pushing me toward the bookstore.

I'm completely not kidding! She tries to break up with him, and he thinks it's because of Kyp.

I can only say that I wish!

Personally, I think it was one of the best in the NJO. It's one of my favourites, behind "Dark Journey" and "Rebirth", which are tied.

Dana

14. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Wow, not only did you pick up on all of the hints, but you have them mentally oranized. Impressive...I didn't even notice half of those...I'll have to start re reading some of those books.

15. SaberBlade

SaberBlade Jedi Master star 3

Sep 19, 2001
    You're writing something for KAJSU? I wanna read it! You better let me know when it's done; I am now offically hooked on that.

-Saber

16. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Yeah, it's been in the notes stage for ages. I need to go through it all again and work on it some more.

Dana

17. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Since the discussion isn't very high on this, and also because we need one, I'm adding a Kyp Durron story index to this thread. This is for stories centred on Kyp (NOT K/J 'fics!). K/OC and Kyp/other 'fics can go in here, as can Kyp-centric vignettes and things.

I've added three stories to the index so far. All are mine, one called "All Paths Drowned Deep In Shadow", one called "Brothers", and one called "Male Bonding".

Dana

18. JayaMioneDurron

JayaMioneDurron Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    cool Kyp lovers [face_love]

okay. this is cool. and i loved the tips on writing Kyp.

seeing as this is more of a diccussion thread i made this thread (Kyp Challenge) where Kyp challanges can be posted for easy finding and so on (Please follow the link and read the first part so you understand how i want it to work) it's also a place just for challenges. keep any other Kyp dicussion here.

neway please follow the link and let me know what u think. the first challenge is now up.

19. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Added one poem from DantanaSkywalker.

Dana

20. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Added one new story by Dantana Skywalker, titled "Catharsis Of Sufferance".

Dana

21. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    I've never had Kyp in more than cameos...but now that I've converted and been attacked by multiple bunnies, that must change. I'm rather hesitant, as I'm afraid of mischaracterizing him.

Dana, I've saved that little essay of yours on my word file, hope you don't mind.

22. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    This index needs more Kyp stories... here's mine...

Prayer by Smuggler_Shidakis

23. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    Dana: He thinks Corran Horn is full of himself. They've never gotten along. If you have Corran in your story, Kyp and Corran will clash. They don't get along. Corran hates his guts and would kill him if he could. Corran has even said this.

Respectfully, oh wisest of moderators, I would like to disagree.

When Corran and Kyp first come into contact in I, Jedi, Corran tries to get to know Kyp, but Kyp doesn't let him in. So Corran does nothing to annoy him.

Then Kyp is storming off in a mood and they have their little altercation - which starts because Corran want's to know whats wrong to see if he can help. And you can't write everything off as JKun's influence - you can spot the change very easily...

So Corran dislikes Kyp. This is true, for any 'fics written from after the begining of the JA3 to near the end of the NJO.

But first, I need to deal with the other point. You said that 'Corran would kill Kyp if he could.'

He wouldn't.

That conversation is a joke. Neither Corran or Mara like Kyp very much (So I now have K/M bunnies. Great.) but they wouldn't kill him. Why? Because people don't kill people just because they don't like them very much. I mean, while you might get very annoyed with me when I argue with you, but you don't think of coming to my house with a shotgun in the context of anything more serious than a split-second fantasy. (At least, i really really hope you don't... [face_mischief] )

But yeah.

If you're writing a 'fic post-NJO with Corran and Kyp, then they can get along without much friction. The reason why: Kyp's matured.

Actually, Corran's matured a lot too, from his whiney, egocentric flyboy personality to the mature Jedi Master we see in TFP and TUF. He's grown up for several reasons: his epiphany in I, jedi is fairly instrumental, but also his minute fall to the Dark Side in Ruin and his subsequent self-exile. But Kyp's matured a hell of a lot more than Corran's had to - read Allston's duology for Mature!Kyp at its Kypiest. They've both grown and changed enough that they respect each others opinions and decisions even if they don't agree with them, and can get along just fine - see the comm-conversations in Chapters 36 and 39, the subtext in chapter 40, and, most tellingly of all, the scene at the end of Chapter 42. They could even be friends, in the new order of things - right now, I want someone to write me a 'fic where Corran, Kyp, and maybe Kyle Katarn go on a buttock-prodding adventure all by themselves. Could be interesting.

So yeah. Don't bash Teh C0rran, folks. :p

--Blended

24. Ars_longa

Ars_longa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 26, 2004
    SpeldoriontheBlended

I know I'm about 1.5 months late to answer this, but I desagree with you on Corran/Kyp interactions in I, Jedi. Like, totally disagree. :) Why? Well, I did a full dissection of all of them, from the first to the last. The results were so unfavorable for Corran Horn, that it turned me off this character completely and, I'm afraid, permanently. If you want to read it, it's here - http://www.tusoffka.com/ars_longa/Photo/ForPublic/I%20Jedi%20comments.DOC It's currently down, probably some problem with my server, but I can promise it'll be up by this evening.

A.

25. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    We need more discussion here! So, I've come up with a discussion and a challenge!

Discussion Topic:

We know very little about Kyp's life before Kessel. We know he was born on Deyer, that his parents were married, and he had a brother, Zeth, who was 6 years older. A small bit was given about fishing colonies, floating raft cities. Kyp was 8 when his family was taken to Kessel, and his parents died when he was 9.

Challenge #1

Write a vignette or short story (no max or min length) on Kyp at 8 or younger and the Durrons' home life. Post links in this thread. No time limit.

Dana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.