main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Rogue Jedi: Kyp Durron Discussion & Story Index -- Looking for a new challenge/discussion topic!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dantana Skywalker, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    My entry for the challenge is here: Storm COming.

Also added it to the index.

Dana

2. Mike-Sunrider

Mike-Sunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2003
    This is a very interesting and helpful thread.

I plan on using Kyp alot in my story.

I got a question about his skills. Where in the new jedi ranks would you put him? With luke on number 1 of course :p.

And could someone describe his fighting/Force style?

3. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I got a question about his skills. Where in the new jedi ranks would you put him? With luke on number 1 of course tongue .

That's a good question. I know some will probably argue with this, but as of TUF, with Jacen withdrawing from the order, and Mara not on the Council, I'd put Kyp and Cilghal tied as Luke's "second in command".

And could someone describe his fighting/Force style?

Um . . . That isn't exactly my area of expertise, I don't know. I know it, I just can't . . . describe it in the terms you're probably looking for.

Dana

4. Mike-Sunrider

Oct 4, 2003
    I don't need any fighting terms if that is what you mean.

Perhaps you can tell about how he is as a fighter? Stuff like calm/defensive or stuff like that?

Thanks for your earlier answers. My story is when Ben is 17 though. Should I use J/J or K/J?

Jacen withdrawing from the order??? I began reading The Final Prophecy and i reached the half of the book.

But why did Jacen leave?

5. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Perhaps you can tell about how he is as a fighter? Stuff like calm/defensive or stuff like that?

Well, he isn't as brash as he used to be, though he's still generally one to take the offense in battle. He tends to fight proactively rather than reactively. In hand-to-hand combat, he tends towards . . . gymnastics. Leaping, backflips, etc. His fighting is active, and a bit aggressive, but he also knows when to drop back and act as cover--something he's learned since Jaina's fall to the Dark Side.

He uses the Force when he can; his greatest skills are telekinetics, moving things with his mind.

Thanks for your earlier answers. My story is when Ben is 17 though. Should I use J/J or K/J?

Well, I'm always going to say K/J. ;) Keep in mind Jaina would be 36/37, and Kyp 50/51. IMO, she'd have outgrown Jag by this point.

Jacen withdrawing from the order??? I began reading The Final Prophecy and i reached the half of the book.

Sort of. He reached a moment of perfect union with the Force, and he wants to study with the other Force-users, like the Jensaari, the Theran Listeners, the Sunesi, and try to find where the Fallanassi went. He also says he doesn't want to be a leader, and he doesn't want to be an object of study.

Dana

6. Mike-Sunrider

Oct 4, 2003
    Well, I'm always going to say K/J. :p Keep in mind Jaina would be 36/37, and Kyp 50/51. IMO, she'd have outgrown Jag by this point.

What do you mean with outgrown him?

7. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Added two stories:

"Turn Of Stars" by NenYim
    "A Week From Tomorrow" by Smuggler_Shidakis

Dana

8. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Should I use J/J or K/J?
    :eek: Mike! Of course You should use K/J!

What do you mean with outgrown him?
    Not quite sure what Dana means. I do think that Kyp is on the same emotional/maturity level as Jaina.

EDIT: Whereas Jag is not.

9. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I meant that at the end of NJO, she's 21; she's not likely to have feeling for the same guy. It happens, yeah, but I don't think so in this case.

Dana

10. Mike-Sunrider

Oct 4, 2003
    What you are saying is -- that you don't think she would have a relationship with Durron anymore at that age?

11. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I mean, she'd have outgrown Jag. Jag's a war-time romance.

And please, let's not turn this into a K/J discussion; there's a K/J discussion thread for that.

Dana

12. Mike-Sunrider

Oct 4, 2003
    My apologies.

Kyp uses a violet lightsaber right?

And I've heard things about him doing something terrible in the Vong war.

I don't have all the NJO books, so I was wondering. What was it that he did?

13. Obitachi

Obitachi Jedi Master

Nov 6, 2002
    Eh. I think "terrible" is a matter of perspective.

He manipulated Jaina into helping him destroy a Yuuzhan Vong worldship under construction at Sernpidal, convincing her (and Rogue Squadron) that it was a super weapon. The worldship would have been a home to Yuzhan Vong civilians who were trapped on dying worldships.

Since the Vong military couldn't be bothered to slow down their annihilation of the GFFA long enough to help their own people survive, Kyp gets the blame for Poor Innocent Vong dying.

However, most NJO readers at the time seemed to have a bigger problem with the fact that he lied to (and flirted with) Jaina than with the potential loss of little scarhead tykes.

*Returns to the Land of Lurk*

14. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Okay, here's a question. Would you describe Kyp as a romantic or a cynic, a pessimist or an optimist?

15. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    Oh boy! A Kyp-all-by-his-very-lonesome thread! Excellent.

*has a loooooong moment of fangirlism that ends abruptly* Sorry about that. Couldn't help it.

As for Smuggler_Shidakis question, I'd say Kyp was both cynical and a pessimist. Unfortunately, a ton of Han Solo rubbed off on him in a lot of areas, and coupled with his past history, I don't think he'll ever have a positive outlook on the world.

Since the Vong military couldn't be bothered to slow down their annihilation of the GFFA long enough to help their own people survive, Kyp gets the blame for Poor Innocent Vong dying.

And here's how we see history repeats itself. This is exactly what happend with Carida. Kyp found himself on the wrong end of a blaster all because (in my opinion) the NR military was upset they didn't get the first cradck at the Academy. I think we could safely assume that sooner or later they would have gone after the Academy themselves.

16. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    JainaDurron is taking over stewardship of this thread. I won't be running it anymore.

Dana

17. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    As soon as I get the chance to scour the boards, I will start linking new stories. Since I can't access the first post to edit things, I might ask LP, Leona or Herman to lock this thread and I'll re-start it so I have access to do so and all links can be on the front page. And I would link this thread to the new one so things aren't rehashed.

Thanks for everyone's patience in advance as this transition happens.

~~Jilly

18. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Sorry to see you not running this, since this sort of thing is your brainchild and what inspired me to get involved in k, k/j, etc.

19. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    So, are we going to do more challenges?

Topics?

Anything?

20. Siaynoqsbride

Siaynoqsbride Jedi Master star 4

May 17, 2005
    So... is this dead? It saddens me to see it so far down. :( Kyp is one of my favorite characters and I would host this except for time constraints and the fact that I don't write much Beyond.

21. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    I hope it's not dead. I never got to get into it before it started to die out.

I'd like to see stuff with him that's not a J/K necessarily, although some of them are really good.

Hopefully JainaDurron can get this locked and open up a new one.

There's lots to discuss now that they've screwed with Kyp's character in the TJK.

We need more fics about Kyp. I'm just saying.

22. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I'm glad I found this thread.

I kind of like Kyp in The Dark Nest Books (I just wish he'd stop being descibed like he had no personal hygiene).

So here's my thing: I've noticed that a lot of writers like to pair Kyp with Jaina, and when they don't, they always say that Kyp is too old for Jaina.

Why is it never that Jaina is too young for Kyp?

As if Kyp is the pedophile here?

After his behavior in Rebirth and Dark Journey, I always imagined Kyp to be a sexually confident man. He knows he's a magnetic guy, and he knows he looks good. He's arrogant too. All of which make him a really desirable guy. He totally knew he was manipulating Jaina.

So if anything, I would think that though he might find Jaina attractive, she ultimately lacks the worldliness and maturity to satisfy him. I'm not saying Jaina is naive or an ingenue, but she was 16 when the war started and only 20 when it ended. He likes playing games and she doesn't know the rules, you know what I mean? I would think that she hasn't grown up enough to acquire enough romantic experience to keep up with Kyp.

Does that make any sense? Or did it just come out as just early morning babble?

How come no one ever tries to pair Kyp with a woman that's not Jaina? Like Kirana Ti? Or so many others. Don't get me wrong, I like Jaina, and I think she'd be great for Kyp...only if she were older. I like J/K when Jaina is in her late 20s, preferably 30s. But that's just me.

23. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    Inara- You know, that's one of the most interesting points I've ever heard. No one that I know of has ever put it that way before, and it's definitely viable. I think I agree. Maybe Jaina is too young for him in the NJO. But what about five, ten years later?

24. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Inara: On your thoughts, I don't think people see it as one or the other - Kyp too old or Jaina too young - it's a combination of both. The problem always is that - even if he's a sexually confident man - he is the one who should know better (and I am speaking of Jaina as a teen in a relationship with Kyp in his thirties not as a more mature DN Jaina to fortyish Kyp). Many teenagers think they're mature enough to enter into a sexual relationship, but that isn't always the case. (And yes, some are.) So the natural tendency is to expect the older and wiser Master Durron to show restraint, as a teen it's understandable that she might feel attracted to him or at least be confused about those feelings. That's really the sentiment you're picking up on.

25. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Inara: How come no one ever tries to pair Kyp with a woman that's not Jaina?

There's currenlty two fics that I know of that have Kyp romantically involved with someone other than Jaina. But IMO there should be more. There are a lot of different types of women who would go for him.

Sounds like a great challenge. A sort of SW Dating Game starring Kyp Durron.

That being said I'm going to change the subject.

Kyp Durron is nominated for best supporting character in the njoe.com NJO awards. Just letting people know so they can vote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.