main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Rogue Jedi: Kyp Durron Discussion & Story Index -- Looking for a new challenge/discussion topic!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dantana Skywalker, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    Two angry Kyp chicks...we can totally take him. Though we can always use more help, sporkbewithyou.

Heh. Even I would be afraid with just two angry chicks storming my place over a character's death. I'd just want to give him a piece of my mind. On the other hand, I'd just have to send along what I'd want to say with you two. My mom'd never let me do something like that.

Corran, I mean. Not Kyp, obviously.

I assumed so. :D

So what's with this thread? Is it officially back in business?

2. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    [face_laugh] I wouldn't tell my mom. I mean, I'm in college now. I'm supposed to act crazy and irresponsible. But I would proudly bear your message to the Evil Author (after DN, I'm thinking he deserves that title).

I sure hope it is! Kyp deserves to stay on page 1! Although, the Jacen thread was humming for a while and has kinda dropped off...I hope that doesn't happen to this one! It's inspiring me. I've written two (three counting the challenge I'm working on onw :D ) Kyp fics in the last week. Surely that tells you something.

3. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    I wouldn't tell my mom. I mean, I'm in college now. I'm supposed to act crazy and irresponsible.

Ah, well, lucky you. I'm still a Senior in high school, so I don't yet have the liberty. On the other hand, if you go when I'm in college and have off or something, then I could go. It would be an interesting trip.

But I would proudly bear your message to the Evil Author (after DN, I'm thinking he deserves that title).

Thank ye kindly! *bows deeply* I would be forever in your debt. I agree that Dark Nest wasn't so great *understatement* but I think Unseen Queen wasn't that bad...

I sure hope it is! Kyp deserves to stay on page 1! Although, the Jacen thread was humming for a while and has kinda dropped off...I hope that doesn't happen to this one!

You bet he does! :D That's Jacen for you. I think he kind of has that effect.

I've written two (three counting the challenge I'm working on onw ) Kyp fics in the last week. Surely that tells you something.

I hope that's' a good omen then. *prods the title* We need a way to change it.

4. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Hopefully a road trip won't be necessary. We'll know in 49 days.

Yes, I'm counting. :p

5. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    Hopefully a road trip won't be necessary. We'll know in 49 days.

Meep! *dances around* ...is Kyp even in the Dramatis on this one? starwars.com didn't offer anything.

Yes, I'm counting.

Teehee! S'okay. When RoTS first came out in the theaters, I was counting down to that.

6. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    Yes, Kyp is in the Dramatis.

7. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    Yes, Kyp is in the Dramatis.

Oh, that's good. I think. I hope he gets more page time.

8. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    That's exciting news!

And here's some more: I'm almost done with my challenge entry. :D

9. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    And here's some more: I'm almost done with my challenge entry.

That is good news. *looks sheepish* I'm still stuck on the begining of mine.

10. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    I'm not really sure if mine is any good; it's completely plotless, but it does involve a lot of snarkiness, which is so fun to write!

And take your time; whenever you finish it, Lola and I will read it. ;)

11. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    I'm not really sure if mine is any good; it's completely plotless, but it does involve a lot of snarkiness, which is so fun to write!

Hey, sometimes plotless can be good! *coughSeinfeldcough* And I'm sure it'll be great.

Er...pardon the residual newbieness, but what's snarkiness? I never really understood it.

And take your time; whenever you finish it, Lola and I will read it.

Thanks! I'll be looking forward to your reviews. And reading yours. Oh, what I think we should do is just post the link back here, and not the whole thing.

12. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Well, this isn't exactly about Nothing, but it does come close...

Snarkiness...I guess that's just a word we use for people who are even more than sarcastic, close to the point of being downright cruel but never quite reaching it. Agh, that's an awful definition. If you want the definition in a character, I believe that _Tenel_Ka_'s series and fics feature a character who has been called "the definition of snarkiness". His name's Gedell or something like that. She was the one that first familiarized me with the term...

anyways, that probably didn't do you any good. But I have something to cheer you up! Everyone on this board should go immediately and read pregnantpadme's Fear and Love for some great Kyp writing and even better Kyp angst! Gives the guy a whole new spin!

13. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    Agh, that's an awful definition.

No, I think I got it. Thanks! I might go check out that fic though.

Everyone on this board should go immediately and read pregnantpadme's Fear and Love for some great Kyp writing and even better Kyp angst!

Hm...I started reading it. Kyp is well written here, but I'm not so crazy about the Jysella thing.

14. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Yeah, it's weird, but that's the point. Kyp's never had a small problem. And he's so well-written that I'm drooling... :p

15. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    Yeah, it's weird, but that's the point. Kyp's never had a small problem. And he's so well-written that I'm drooling...

:D So true. Hasn't had an easy life, has he?

Ho hum...so, how about a topic change while we're writting our challenges?

Which side of Kyp do you find yourself drawn to the most? The guilt ridden teen/adult, the falling head over heels for Jaina adult, or Kyp at his best like the one in Jedi_Jaina_Durron's and Inara's fics? Which side of him to like to write the most?

By the way, anyone who hasan't read them yet should go and read them. IMHO, they have the best charecterization of him I've seen.

16. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    I've read pregnantpadme's fic. I'm not too happy with the Jysella/Kyp thing. I'm going to wait to read more about how Kyp fell in love with her. But just the way she was with Luke, I'm not liking her. But have I ever liked anyone with Kyp? Not yet.:p

As for the new discussion I'm reading Inara's J/S piece and for JJD's I've read some but which ones are you referring to?

But to let you know how I think, I'm drawn Kyp Durron because of his passion. It didn't matter whether he was ever right or wrong, although now he's more right than he ever was IMO. And his dedication to his friends and the Jedi is just a large part of that passion.

What woman would not want to be on the receiving end of it? I'm just saying.

17. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    But have I ever liked anyone with Kyp? Not yet.

[Yoda]You will, you will...[/Yoda]

I never liked Kyp with anyone yet either, but that's just for canon characters. There are, however, two OCs who I've found go with him quite nicely.YodaKenobi's Strift Zonn from his trilogy, and Trickster_Jaina_Fel's Sanar from her series.

As for the new discussion I'm reading Inara's J/S piece and for JJD's I've read some but which ones are you referring to?

It's JJD's The Definition of Love, and Inara's To Walk Alone.

But to let you know how I think, I'm drawn Kyp Durron because of his passion. It didn't matter whether he was ever right or wrong, although now he's more right than he ever was IMO.

*starts to drool* Oh man, how could I have forgotten that? He has so much passion in him it's scary. Even to the point of going against the Jedi Code. :p It's so sad though, that even though he's "more right" than he ever was before, everyone still refuses to acknowledge him.

And his dedication to his friends and the Jedi is just a large part of that passion.

*sighs* Yet another thing everyone seems to forget about.

What woman would not want to be on the receiving end of it? I'm just saying.

So true. And I don't know if it's just the way my brain is working right now (read: mushy and horribly confused), but do I read something else into that?

18. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Kyp and Sanar! [face_love] My favorite fanon couple ever!

Awww... [face_blush] Thanks for the kind words, sporkbewithyou (I have got to come up with a nickname for you [face-tongue]); those made my day so infinitely much better. [face_blush] :_| [:D]

I've written all the different eras of Kyp-dom: I've been writing the whole "falling in love with Jaina" thing for four years now; I'm currently working on a series of vignettes stretching over his whole life, and it's been fun to get to know him as a kid and that guilt-ridden teenager. But I find that more and more lately, I'm drawn to the older Kyp, one who is slowly coming to terms with who he is and what he's done. I get the feeling he's been avoiding himself for the past twenty years, and I'm having a wonderful time having him take a long look in the mirror and force himself to see himself for the first time.

Oh, yeah, and the whole passion thing, just...yeah...yeah... [face_love] [face_drool] [face_devil] That is one of his overriding characteristics, along with his guilt. It makes for such interesting writing and even more fascinating writing! ;)

What woman would not want to be on the receiving end of it? I'm just saying. Oh, my goodness, yes. You'd have to be insane not to! [face_faints_dead_away]

Yay for the Kypster!

19. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    Kyp and Sanar! My favorite fanon couple ever!

*drools* I quite agree...it's a better alternative than Kyp/Jaina. Much better.

Thanks for the kind words, sporkbewithyou (I have got to come up with a nickname for you; those made my day so infinitely much better.

No problem at all. It's only proper to praise greatness when one sees it. And call me Spork, Sporky or any other variation of that if you'd like. :D[face_hug] And I'm glad to hear that!

But I find that more and more lately, I'm drawn to the older Kyp, one who is slowly coming to terms with who he is and what he's done. I get the feeling he's been avoiding himself for the past twenty years, and I'm having a wonderful time having him take a long look in the mirror and force himself to see himself for the first time.

I realized that I forgot to answer the question in my last post, but I have to say that this is the Kyp that I like myself. He's so...wonderful to write at this point, especially since he knows what he wants and would never steer you wrong when writting him in a fic. I also like exploring Kyp's childhood. I'm working now on a Jedi Academy Trilogy AU whose first 2 posts are of the events leading up to his parent's arrest and their being dragged off to Kessel and stuff, and it's always interesting to see what he's like as a kid.

That is one of his overriding characteristics, along with his guilt.

:(You could even say he was passionate about his guilt at certain times of his life.

20. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    I really do like them better than K/J, which is strange for someone with my handle. :p And Erin keeps saying that the BEGINNING is near! *throws a small party* I cannot wait to see the first mush-fest! *twirls around*

Anyways, Sporky 8-} I agree. He's so much deeper and more...[this spot saved for the right word when I think of it] now. It's marvelous. I only wish the profic writers would realize that.

I also like exploring Kyp's childhood. I'm working now on a Jedi Academy Trilogy AU whose first 2 posts are of the events leading up to his parent's arrest and their being dragged off to Kessel and stuff, and it's always interesting to see what he's like as a kid.
    Oooh...fun! I can't wait to read your version!

You could even say he was passionate about his guilt at certain times of his life. *sniff* Oh...that makes me so...sad...

(has anyone ever noticed that I am absolutely addicted to ellipses? Like, it's even worse than semicolons. :confused:)

21. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    I really do like them better than K/J, which is strange for someone with my handle.

[face_laugh] I know. It's actually kind of strange for me too, since when I first started reading fanfiction I always shied away from OC stories.

Anyways, Sporky I agree. He's so much deeper and more...[this spot saved for the right word when I think of it] now. It's marvelous. I only wish the profic writers would realize that.

I know what that's like...:D I can never find the proper word when I need it. It can make for some pretty frusterating conversations, particularly when you're trying to write a mini-paper you have absolutely no clue how to write. And yeah, he's got to be the most under used character the EU has ever seen. I've always wanted to ask the Lucas people if we were ever going to get another book with him as the main.

Oooh...fun! I can't wait to read your version!

Thanks! It's coming out as soon as I've got at least five or so chapters written and've gotten them to a beta.

*sniff* Oh...that makes me so...sad...

[:D] Yeah, it's extremely sad. Especially when you think that Carida was sort of a good thing.

(has anyone ever noticed that I am absolutely addicted to ellipses? Like, it's even worse than semicolons. )

Heh. We all have our little addictions like that. I know I have a major problem with comma placement.

22. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    laugh I know. It's actually kind of strange for me too, since when I first started reading fanfiction I always shied away from OC stories. Yeah; I never expect them to be as good (scared of Mary Sues, I guess). But I now completely 'ship Kyp and Sanar and Jacen and Fee. Those couples are so much better than anything the profic has given us!

And yeah, he's got to be the most under used character the EU has ever seen. I've always wanted to ask the Lucas people if we were ever going to get another book with him as the main. UGH! It's so frustrating! It's such a waste! I despise waste in all its forms, and especially in situations like this. It's why I write "missing scenes"--because I hate those dangling plot threads...

Ah, commas! *sigh* Gotta love 'em! :D

23. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    Yeah; I never expect them to be as good (scared of Mary Sues, I guess). But I now completely 'ship Kyp and Sanar and Jacen and Fee. Those couples are so much better than anything the profic has given us!

Oh yeah, completely afraid of Mary Sues, also since I started out in the Potter fandom which abounds with them. But who are Jacen and Fee?

UGH! It's so frustrating! It's such a waste! I despise waste in all its forms, and especially in situations like this. It's why I write "missing scenes"--because I hate those dangling plot threads...

And that's why I love reading them. Except it's really frusterating when you come across a particularly good one and then you realize it's never going to be profic.

On another note, we're almost at 100. And I think I'll be heading off to bed now. G'night!

24. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Oh yeah, completely afraid of Mary Sues, also since I started out in the Potter fandom which abounds with them. But who are Jacen and Fee? Oh, sweetheart, you haven't read Kyp till you've read TKeira_Lea's Force Evolution Series. It's massively long, but well worth the reading. Anyways, Fee is TKL's OC in that fic who will end up with Jacen someday, even if it "takes a Force of nature" as she's so fond of saying. :p And Jacen is the second sexiest guy in the universe of course! (Kyp being first!)

And that's why I love reading them. Except it's really frusterating when you come across a particularly good one and then you realize it's never going to be profic. I know! But in my world, my "Peace" is canon. And Sanar is, too. And a bunch of other things I can't think of because I'm too tired. Soooo...

On another note, we're almost at 100. And I think I'll be heading off to bed now. G'night! Yay! 100! (Soon) I think I'll head on off to bed, too!

25. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Thanks for the plug, Sporky :) [:D]

Okay, having finally finished posting responses to you and JJD in Beyond, I can finally make my way here. In terms of Kyp pairings, I actually am not specific when it comes to him, though I always prefer canonical characters to an OC.

Now I have to confess: I have had a Kypfic brewing in the back of my mind for a quite a while, and it features Kyp and Dena Cracken (Pash Cracken's canonical sister). They are actually the same age, and I really like Cracken family dynamics (her father being head of intelligence has just so much potential). But it's never progressed into anything beyond a random idea because the way I write romance is...complicated.

I haven't read any pairings of Kyp besides with Jaina, but I'd like to check out the fics with the OCs you mentioned. What are the titles of these stories you mentioned?

To answer the discussion question: Hmm, I think I like Kyp as an adult. But I like him dark, brooding, contradictory, and unweakened emotionally. He appeals to me as a lone, solitary figure, and as much as I love the idea of him finding happiness, I want him to retain his mystique. Does that make any sense?

Maybe I should go to bed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.