main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Rogue Jedi: Kyp Durron Discussion & Story Index -- Looking for a new challenge/discussion topic!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dantana Skywalker, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    Ars_Longa:Oh gosh. She's at least 20 years older than Kyp. That would require some explanations for sure...

*snickers* So maybe that's a no go. But then again, it's the exact opposite problem there is in terms of age with Kyp/Jaina.

Don't forget R&R... especially the second R.

Heh. I'll try and send you reviews by PM. Might take a while though. DRL's got me in it's clutches.

Um, age difference is not a big deal in our culture, esp. if it's the man who is older.

Out of curiosity, where're you coming from?

Anyway, if the average life span in SW universe is more than 120, then I don't think 14 years are more of a problem than 7 in ours (which is the age difference between me and my hubby).

Well, I don't think 7 is so much of a problem. But then again, we don't know the average life span of the SW universe, especially since it seems to vary betweem different speciese.

2. Ars_longa

Ars_longa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 26, 2004
    It's a matter of a timeframe. When they met he was 17 and she was close to 40, which is a bit too much. If they met again when he was, say, 25 and she was 45, it might have worked out. But 40-45 and 60-65 might be a bit too much again, I'm afraid...

Oh dear, do I know how is that! But it might be better to post them on LJ - I'm aiming for sparkling a discussion there as well, and in this community we are free to discuss some issues that might be too, um, not family-friendly for these boards.

Ukraine, former USSR, Eastern Europe.

I think Denning defined that pretty explicitly. I read some quotes from his interview where he said that 120 is a 'retirement age' in SW universe. Just from doing simple math we can see that both Garm Bel Iblis and Pellaeon are close or even more than 100 years old in NJO. And they are definitely human. :)

A.

3. Ars_longa

Mar 26, 2004
    Oh my. Don't start me on Kyp and Luke dynamics. There is so much hidden here, so much depth, so much hurt from both sides. I fully intend to tackle this, but I'm not even sure if I'm up to the challenge. Han and Kyp are easy. Delightful, but easy. Luke and Kyp... here would be dragons. I wonder if many of readers ever caught all nuances of their mind games through all NJO. They weren't all on Kyp's side, y'know. Luke is definitely not as simple as people are used to think of him.

Don't feel too awful, hon. :) I'd dearly love to have you as reader, since I kinda like you too :) but I know that it's not an easy reading, even putting my grammatical blunders aside. :)

A.

4. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    It's a matter of a timeframe. When they met he was 17 and she was close to 40, which is a bit too much. If they met again when he was, say, 25 and she was 45, it might have worked out. But 40-45 and 60-65 might be a bit too much again, I'm afraid...

Hm...only problem is, I seem to remember Kyp being 20 in that story. I'll have to check it up, but in any case, I do agree that the age difference is too big.*sighs*

Oh dear, do I know how is that! But it might be better to post them on LJ - I'm aiming for sparkling a discussion there as well, and in this community we are free to discuss some issues that might be too, um, not family-friendly for these boards.

*snickers* I think I know what you're talking about.

Ukraine, former USSR, Eastern Europe.

Neat! I'm Jewish, and my grandparents are from Western Europe.

I think Denning defined that pretty explicitly. I read some quotes from his interview where he said that 120 is a 'retirement age' in SW universe. Just from doing simple math we can see that both Garm Bel Iblis and Pellaeon are close or even more than 100 years old in NJO. And they are definitely human.

Oh wow...that's old dude!

5. Ars_longa

Mar 26, 2004
    Fen thought he's 'no more than 20', but this story happens during Children of the Jedi timeframe - it's no more than an year after carida and if we agree that Kyp was 16 then, he's no more than 18 at the very most in Simple Tricks.

Gosh, I took this story from these boards after I was told that a mention of an erection is inappropriate. I'm 34, for Force's sake, not 4!

We might have a lot of common ancestors. :)

I love to do math - and i noticed that most people are not paying attention to chronology. :) But I do. It's a pretty interesting study when you think of a character development.

A.

6. Ars_longa

Mar 26, 2004
    Ok, I looked up Gilad Pellaeon and it seems that I was mistaken, although not by much. His birth date is presumed to be 57 BBY, so he's what, close to 90 by the end of NJO? Still plenty - and he certainly doesn't look like a debilitated old man. :) Garm Bel Iblis was born 52 BBY. Also more than 80 by the end of the Vong War.

A.

7. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    In Dark Nest, Pellaeon is about 96 - and he was named Supreme Commander of the GFFA. His advanced age apparently in no way hampers his ability to take on such a stressful and demanding role...In the NJO, General Airen Cracken was 75 and still going strong.

Now I wonder why Mon Mothma didn't stick around politics.

8. Ars_longa

Mar 26, 2004
    I rest my case. :)

And about Mon Mothma... well, she was poisoned quite seriously. You can't have a body almost destroyed and then restore the funtion without LOTS of complications. That's a nurse in me speaking. :)

Now about Kyp and Fen. I still don't think you can link them romantically, but I wonder about what her feelings toward him were. She doesn't strike me as motherly type, but she certainly felt a pretty strong affection for him.

And further on this note... well, Kyp and sex. I think by the time of NJO or even before that Kyp already dealt with most of his problems, but just think about that. This is the boy who spent all his formative years in a prison. I don't think I should spell it out, but I'm willing to bet that his perception of sex was quite... disturbing, probably. If you want to discuss it further, we can always take it to my community on LJ. I think it's quite an interesting subject.

A.

9. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    She stepped down because she was ill, that toxin that was literally thrown in her face. When she finally was recovering, thanks to Cighal's diagnosis, decided to let Leia continue as Chief of State.

10. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    [face_laugh]

I should have put the wink face after the Mon Mothma comment - it wasn't meant seriously. It's just that Star Wars characters seem to be impossibly healthy and long living. So very few of them get sick or suffer as a consequence of what happened to them that it seems weird when they do (which is why I mentioned Mon Mothma). I'm surprised that profic hasn't concocted something to make her healthy again. :rolleyes:

Granted, I like the idea of Han and Leia living for an obscenely long time, but still...

Edit: Kyp and sex is something I've wondered too. Being in prison, especially when you're a good looking guy is no picnic, especially when the scum of the galaxy are your cell mates. I'd be interested in such a discussion, but I can understand why it might not be able to be held on the boards.

11. Ars_longa

Mar 26, 2004
    Should I open the discussion topic for that on LJ?

12. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Please do. :) BTW, I'm actually posting on your LJ as we speak so I can finally answer your questions.

13. Ars_longa

Mar 26, 2004
    Heh, now I have something to do while sitting at work waiting for students to show up. :)

Oh kriff, one of them just showed up. :( Check the community in two hours or so - I'll get it then.

A.

14. Ars_longa

Mar 26, 2004
    Posted -

Edit: Huh, it doesn't show up the link. Well, just follow the link in my sig.

A.

15. Ars_longa

Mar 26, 2004
    What, no one is up to discussion?

:(

16. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I am! I haven't been able to go over there just yet, but as soon as I get a few free moments, I'll be over there. :)

17. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm up for discussion, but am very brain-dead due to writing WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much this month.

18. Ars_longa

Mar 26, 2004
    OK, girls, I'll be waiting. :) I'm off to Oklahoma for Thanksgiving and I don't know if I'll be able to get to the Internet from there (I'll try, though) so I want to get some discussion now - have to get my brain busy with something except nursing assignments for 4 days, after all. :)

A.

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    So, what would you like to discuss?

20. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Ish, we're discussing this:

But it might be a non family friendly discussion, so Ars has graciously volunteered her LJ for this (you don't have to have an account to comment). The link is here.

21. Ars_longa

Mar 26, 2004
    Um, I thought we established that a couple of posts before. Kyp and sex. Only I'd prefer to do it on my LJ community - the link in my sig, since it will most probably be unsuited for these boards. We can always copy the pristine parts here later. :)

A.

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, well, here's my two cents in. While I see him as a man who is fundamentally intelligent and emotionally astute in nature, I believe that he did have 'experience'. I think it's something that would have happened, not because he is a very worthy sex object, but because he is able to commit himself emotionally and deeply.

23. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Keeping this board friendly I would say that Kyp's experiences began after he graduated at the academy.

During prison, if I do remember correctly, there were some female prisoners as well. But at that point he was too young.

When Han met up with him, he was a loner. I think the other prisoners were actually not afraid but not really inclined to mess with him he was so odd.

And if they did, he'd just take them to the spiders. ;) Although he didn't know what they actually were at the time.

After he graduated Luke's Academy I believe he did a stint with Dorsk 82. From there he is lost and I'm sure his virtue was lost as well during that time.

My first story ever written was a NJO piece (it was never posted because IMO it was really horrible) about a child that appears after the Vong War. IMO during Kyp's time in his Dozen he had many flights of fancy. And one of those earned him the proud name of papa. Well anyway, the kid gets dropped on the High Council's door after the mother was abducted by some unsavory characters. As Kyp dealt with instant fatherhood he also felt it his duty to find the former lover.

It was a good concept I think, something different.

Anyway back on topic,

I'll try get over to your other site for a good discussion. I love good discussions. But until then, the above are my thoughts.

24. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    Now does this ever look interesting. I guess I'll take myself over to the LJ, shall I?

25. Ars_longa

Mar 26, 2004
    By all means. :)

A.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.