main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story... score now by Michael Giacchino

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo , Nov 2, 2015.

1. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I hadn't given this much thought, but it's making me a lot more intrigued about Rogue One. Deathly Hallows 1 and 2 are actually my favorite HP scores, for the texture and atomsphere Desplat brought in.

2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I third this. The scores for the last 2 HP films are great. Actually I think they all are, but that Desplat came the closest to replicating Wiliiams's style.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I've been listening to the two Deathly Hallows scores a lot lately and I would suggest the track "Sky Battle" as an example of great action music he's done. I love it!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    I like him, one of my favorites for do the job for ''substitute'' JW.

5. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Just make it Star Warsy!

6. knightsofren

knightsofren Jedi Padawan

Aug 22, 2015

I was going to say the same thing. Can't wait for the score.

7. Ghost Ryder

Jan 16, 2016
    Part of me was hearing the Force theme at 1:36. :)

Darth_Furio likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anyone else like the trailer music? Love it!

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It was really cool. Disney is doing a good job of having trailer music done with John Williams' music in new and interesting ways that work for the trailers.

10. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    Deathly Hallows are the only non-JW HP scores I listen to. I echo what previous posters have said in that I would like to see the return of the original Imperial motif from ANH. I would hope the Rebel Fanfare appears as well, and that they go light on the Force Theme for this film (I feel like it's a bit overused in most of the films, to be honest). I could see a hint of Leia's theme being used at the mention of Alderaan or the Organas.

Overall, definitely looking forward to this score.

DBPirate likes this.
  11. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I haven't seen the trailer yet but I'm going to assume that I hate the music, which is presumably loud and generic.

Can't wait for Desplat's score though.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I would not call it loud or generic.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
  14. Buddy Jedi

Buddy Jedi Jedi Knight

Apr 9, 2016
    Same link has an update with a short interview with Desplat restating he's still working on the movie, but won't start for a few more weeks.

15. Sluice Friggins

Sluice Friggins Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 23, 2015
    The music in the trailer opens and closes with variations of the force theme, both while showing Jyn. If we're led to believe she's NOT a jedi or a light side force user, then this is the kind of mistake I hope Desplat doesn't make in the score. I LOVE that melody, but you can't simply put it anywhere. Probably shouldn't be in the movie at all, and therefore not the trailer either. This bothers me, unless it's a clue and we've been misled about who she is.

Darth Blade likes this.
  16. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    It's probably just the trailer-music composer (almost certainly not Desplat) noodling around with the classic themes. I doubt it has any bearing on the film or its music.

17. Darth Blade

Darth Blade Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2014
    I noticed this too. I'm guessing it isn't a clue because they haven't put that much thought into the trailer music, but I'm right with you on it bothering me by misusing the force theme.

Sluice Friggins likes this.
  18. Skydoll

Skydoll Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    I like Desplat's work for the many European and arthouse films he's scored, but I'm less enamored with the work he's done for Hollywood per se. (Not familiar with his HP scores though; I should check those out.) Godzilla's okay, but not remarkable, certainly not when considered against his overall output. It does the job, but has none of the lyrical romanticism or dramatic invention and offbeat orchestral color I know he's capable of. That said, Godzilla was also directed by Edwards, so I guess they know how they work together. That halo jump scene used some Ligeti, IIRC, and actually was one of the most eerie scenes in the movie because of it. (Or maybe it was Desplat? I should listen again.)

I'm hoping Desplat will achieve a balance between trad SW and something new - I hope he gets back to his roots and wows us with his ingenuity. I can't imagine some of those Death Star construction scenes seen in the trailer without a JW-style musical backing, but who knows what would work?

19. Amber Kenobi

Amber Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 12, 2016
    His Harry Potter scores are quite dark compared to Star Wars scores—even compared to RotS. The Imitation Game's soundtrack was very iconic. I hope he will not tarnish SW's reputation of triumphant pieces and that Desplat will make the score authentic to SW.

20. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015

I didn't find them to be overly dark but I do feel that his Harry Potter scores (especially 2) were relatively "neutered" so-to-speak. You have one of the more technically-minded composer in the industry and he's writing quasi-Zimmer/Jablonsky music. I place the blame entirely on the inane musical sensibilities of the director (the man who temps his Potter films The Dark Knight, hires Nicholas Hooper twice in a row, and actively avoids working with John Williams (from what I gather)).

Desplat's score for Godzilla on the other hand, is top-notch. Gareth Edwards strikes me as a director with musical vision that extends well beyond "unobtrusive wallpaper".

Skydoll and Obi-Wan Catnobi like this.
  21. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I think the fact that 2 is the weakest of the HP scores is more down to Williams having conflicting work, and William Ross taking over for some of the music. This lead to reusing of a lot of barely altered tracks from HP 1, and even one from AOTC, which made the score much less unique.

3 was much improved in that respect, and was more distinct, at least from what I remember.

22. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    *Deathly Hallows Part 2

2 is certainly the weakest of the Williams scores but it's still far superior to Hooper's scores for OOTP and HBP.

Obi-Wan Catnobi likes this.
  23. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Oh, oops. I see what you mean now. Yeah, DH2 was rather lacking in memorable music compared to 1, which had a few good themes.

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Deathly Hallows 2 has Lily's Theme, which slays all from DH1.

25. Ghost Ryder

Jan 16, 2016
    I think DH2 has many more memorable pieces than 1, although I love each in its own right.