main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story... score now by Michael Giacchino

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo , Nov 2, 2015.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So they're still scoring now which probably means they haven't submitted it to the MPAA yet, which is why tickets aren't on sale yet. Anyway, Giacchino is one of my favourite composer so I'm sure it'll be great.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    He did interesting work for Dr Strange. One of his themes reminded me strongly of Star Trek. Also, there were moments where just the tone and sound of the strings reminded me of Lost, because I know that music extremely well. Overall, still very interested in hearing his Star Wars work!

Skydoll likes this.
  3. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
  4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    the little snippets we've been able to hear so far sound fantastic! I love the supporting chord progressions and instrument choices. The melodies sound very defined, and reminiscient of JW's style.

Then again, that's what Giacchino is best at it seems. In this one, it looks like that ability to echo style will serve him well!

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    One snippet I heard sounded like Giacchino Star Trek meets Star Wars. The other one just sounded like Star Wars. I'm liking that so far!

6. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Saw the film today, and the music's very solid. Good use of some of the familiar themes (the 'Rebel' theme, the Imperial March), a welcome amount of restraint with the 'Force' or 'Jedi' theme - and the 'Star Wars' fanfare isn't used at all, even in a minor mode. It was originally known behind the scenes as "Luke Skywalker's Theme", and it's appropriate that it should only be a part of the episodic Saga entries following the great soap-opera of the Skywalker family.

JW can't really be replaced or equalled, but I'll definitely be picking up a copy of this soundtrack.

7. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    I heard the score and I have to say, this is the third or fourth Giacchino album that has disappointed me. It's not bad music, but it's just not what MG can deliver. Unfocused and generic at times. I found myself wishing the tracks would transform into something from Kiner, who has much more interesting motifs these days.

Anyway, haven't seen the movie yet, so I won't judge the score wholly on the listening experience alone, but right now I'm feeling disappointed. I was so looking forward to this score.

Ah well, JW is hard at work on VIII, so I'll keep my chin up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwustudent likes this.
  8. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Listening to the score, and there are a lot of stingers that remind me of the heavy use of orchestral stingers used throughout the soundtrack to A New Hope.

Good, subtle job Giacchino.

Sent from my Who Cares **** You

Larsonator likes this.
  9. dsematsu

dsematsu Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2013
    I generally enjoy Giacchino's work. His stuff on LOST was utterly fantastic. His Star Trek stuff was pretty good. I thought this time around though it was pretty bland. There weren't any stand out themes that I can recall. I think he needed a bit more time, a month wasn't enough.

10. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    It was ok, nothing amazing.
    But i heard he had little time to make it.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I love the score. I've been listening to it frequently since opening day. I think it's a solid "triple". Not quite a home run, could have used a bit more Imperial Motif from ANH. That said, I LOVE Jyn's theme, it's easily the standout new theme from him. I do like the new Imperial themes as well, the one that opens the track "The Imperial Suite" is very nice. Most importantly, I think the score works perfectly in the film. It makes the film feel like Star Wars. It sounds like Star Wars without sounding like rehash or plagiarism.

For me, a few standout tracks so far:

- Trust Goes Both Ways: Nice uses of the Force theme
    - When Has Become Now: In film uses of Giacchino's new Imperial theme
    - Krennic's Aspirations: Best track on the album, first track ever to have both Williams' Imperial Motif from ANH and the Imperial March in the same cue. I only wish there was MORE of the Imperial Motif in this film.
    - Your Father Would Be Proud: The best and most emotional version of Jyn's Theme in Rogue One. Moved me to tear up slightly the second time I saw the film.
    - Hope: Utter orchestral power and brilliant choice of non thematic material for Vader's rampage, segueing into deft usage of both the Imperial March and the Force theme for the ending of the film.

Darkslayer and cwustudent like this.
  12. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    My assessment exactly. I would be comfortable with Giacchino doing all new Star Wars films, but I'm concerned his themes aren't as good as Williams'.

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Of COURSE his themes aren't as good as Williams. No one's are. We're talking about the Maestro here. But we're lucky Williams is scoring the sequel trilogy. Eventually and SOON we will have to get used to someone else doing the music. Might as well be now. The score doesn't have to be as good as Williams to be a good score.

Darkslayer and Skydoll like this.
  14. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    It's grown on me a bit. It's not as bold as I was hoping for the spin-offs and contains a lot of meandering underscore but the music towards the end is some of Giacchino's most entertaining in recent years.

That being said, I don't see Giacchino as the "sole heir" to Williams as others do. The search must continue!

15. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    The more i listen, the more it appears to be lacking thematically. From a sound standpoint, it's fine, but it lacks the thematic development of a Williams score. This is fairly obvious in action scenes. Where Williams ports his themes into action sequences (e.g. Rey's theme peppered throughout the force awakens), Giacchino appears to have struggled quite a bit with action sequences.

Howard Hand likes this.
  16. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I gave the score a C. It was very pedestrian in my opinion and gave just hints of motifs.

For the love of Star Wars, get James Newton Howard in the composer's chair. Cmon Disney!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015

James Newton Howard could write a very good Star Wars score but in this case, they should have just stuck with their gut and kept Desplat. This film needed a score from somebody who hasn't been hankering to write a Star Wars score.

18. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I was a little underwhelmed by the score for most of the film, but it fit the action well, and it certainly rose to the emotion of the incredible last act. At that point, it really played to Giacchino's strength, namely, underscoring powerful emotional moments. I've been listening to the last few tracks on repeat. Jyn's theme and the Across the Stars-esque Guardians of the Whills theme are standouts for me; but I don't find myself remembering and humming them as instantly as I have in the case of other SW or Giacchino scores. The new Imperial theme in this film is fresh while still in keeping with SW. I was glad to hear the ANH imperial motif in there at points and even the brief Death Star fanfare.

Really impressive that MG did this in four weeks.

19. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    The reshoots created scheduling conflicts with Desplat and he was unable to score the finished film.

Regarding the bolded text above, there were a few moments where we got soaring music....and the scene was an opening shot of a new planet or a hangar. Somewhat dissonant from what was actually happening on the screen. With that said, I didn't notice this until I read it in a review somewhere. On a subsequent viewing, I couldn't ignore it. :p

Jedi Knight Fett and Tho Yor like this.
  20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Jyn's theme is way more than just a motif. And his use of it at the end of the film as the blast wave approaches is downright fantastic.

Larsonator, frail47 and cwustudent like this.
  21. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    That's the story...

22. frail47

frail47 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    Yes, I loved that part. "Your Father Would Be Proud" is a beautiful track.

23. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think the most memorable new addition is Krennic's theme. There's a new motif plus obvious nods to the imperial march. A great blend of new and old.

Larsonator likes this.
  24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah I like the new Imperial music, including that theme for Krennic.

25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm giving it a B so far. Loved his new tracks and uses of Williams's music, but nothing has truly memorable to me yet aside from "Hope."