main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Rogue One: First Victory of the Rebellion (from ANH Crawl)

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Tan-Wessel, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Just watched ANH again and forgot that in the crawl, it mentioned that the Rebellion had just won it's first victory against the Empire resulting in acquiring the Death Star plans. So, can we presume that we'll be seeing whatever this victory is? The implication is that this had to be some sort of sizable military victory of a kind since I doubt missions here and there count as a "first victory". Those are already happening left and right in Rebels.

whostheBossk and Darth Basin like this.
  2. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I think its pretty obvious that the rebels will be slaughtered in the first act of Rogue One. And then in the end, they will win their first fight.

3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    This may be where it gets interesting. It always conved to me the impression that it was a victory regardless of the plans (more like an extra bonus).

However, I now brace for the possibility that it's being retconned as a victory because of the Death Star plans.

Tan-Wessel likes this.
  4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Hopefully...

And for the love of God - Show us Alderaan so we care when it gets destroyed in ANH! :cool:

whostheBossk, JonoLFC, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  5. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    But Leia still won't seem to care that much though. :p

JawaDog, AmySolo and Dameron like this.
  6. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    What makes you say that? Didn't she do all she could do to spare Alderaan its fate?

Or are you finding fault with her decision, that she was rather willing to sacrifice her home planet than the Alliance?

7. Anakin's Daddy

Aug 13, 2002
    Ha ha. No it's just because her acting isn't very good when they blow up her home planet. And even afterwards it's like it's out of her mind, and then the crazy part is Luke is grieving over losing Obi-Wan and she is comforting him yet she just lost her entire planet and it should totally be the other way around.

JawaDog, AmySolo and Tan-Wessel like this.
  8. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    I see your point. Curious, I discussed today with another fan that I didn't feel the tragic of Han Solo's death in TFA. I was told that "denial" is the first stage how most of us deal with death, by that logic Princess Leia was in a lot of denial and probably had her breakdown some time after the medal ceremony.

On the other hand one may wonder how she was able to sleep that peacefully in her cell when Luke woke her up. But then again, I'm not a psychologist to really understand all our defense mechanisms.

9. Anakin's Daddy

Aug 13, 2002
    You make some good points too. Then again, I find it hilarious that we're talking about like this like if actually happened. Or wait... Didn't it really happen a long time... far fa...? ... I'm so confused. :p

AmySolo likes this.
  10. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Anakin's Daddy

Do...or do not. Either we approach the events in the Star Wars Universe as being real and try to understand the characters' motivations or we don't.

There is no try. :D

11. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Have to say, I always thought the rebels so puny that stealing the blue prints IS the victory mentiomed in the crawl. But I prefer it your way!

12. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I never really considered the first victory and the stolen plans to be one in the same achievement. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I was under the impression that the "first victory" was indeed some kind of military win where X-wings won a dogfight or a Star Destroyer was blown up or something. The stealing of the plans being a byproduct but not the "victory" mentioned. This stealing of the plans had not paid off enough yet to be considered a "victory." What I'm saying is that I think the Rebels dealt the Empire a military defeat beyond just the "stolen data tapes" so this should be depicted in Rogue One.

13. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Hasn't it been made clear that the rebels launch a raid on an Imperial base or something similar and in the confusion a group of spies steal the plans to the 1st DS?

14. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Rodie

I concur, the earlier ANH screenplay drafts begin with "Another victory would make another 1,000 star systems join the Alliance", IIRC.

The theft of the Death Star plans is an achievement, but a heist like that isn't synonymous to a victory

15. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Why can't that be synonymous with a victory? Acquiring the Death Star plans is a win for the Rebels and a loss for the Empire. Therefore, by definition, it is a victory for the Rebels.

AmySolo and EHT like this.
  16. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Here's the crawl.

Pretty clear to me.

1) rebel ships win their first battle with the Empire
    2) they have a hidden base
    3) during that battle Rebel spies steal the Death Star plans

whostheBossk and JediLight like this.
  17. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    JabbatheHumanBeing

I'd say it wasn't a victory until these plans had been put to some really "constructive use".

Also the crawl refers to the "first victory". End of sentence. What follows has rather the qualities of a "P.S." or extra bonus, IMHO.

LANDO_ROCKS

Since we probably should take events from Rebels retroactively into account, just "any" first battle must not necessarily constitute a "victory". I'm prepared that the Lucasfilm Story Group will probably tell us how to Interpret "victory". ;)

18. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

Which is y I'm not a huge fan of the childish Star Wars "Pebbles"

19. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

Rebels? That show is more like Pebbles 2 me. To bad the crawl didn't say "Major" victory instead of "First". Because the cast of Pebbles sure is having a lot of "first" victories.

20. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015
    The rebel alliance isn't established in the show its just a bunch of rogue fighters against the empire. The theft of the plans is the first victory for the alliance of all the various rebel groups who came together and declared an open war on the empire.

Also I don't see why Rebels being a children's show has to do with its quality. If you don't like the content thats understandable but calling it childish is hardly a criticism. As a guy who watches everything from Disney to reading and enjoying stories from dark universes like Fallout and WH 40k there have been some kid's shows that are more thought provoking than many shows I see marketed for adults.

I will leave you with just this quote:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development." CS Lewis

whostheBossk and AmySolo like this.
  21. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    Speaking of crawl - how will Rogue One open? Will it be a traditional crawl like the main saga or something different?

22. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Please keep the crawls special to the saga films. I'd rather the anthology movies open a different way. Let's see some variety. These are stand-a-lone movies.

The crawl was Lucas' nod to the old movie serials. Well, those movies had many other attributes that are sort of "throwback" things. Why not use a different reference to those serials for the anthology openings rather than the same reference? That way it is fresh, but also in keeping with the spirit that Lucas established originally.

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Maybe the opening crawl will slant forwards instead of backwards. Y'know, like in Bizarro World SW.

Darth Basin and AmySolo like this.
  24. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    That's bcs more time probably passed than we realise. Between Alderaan getting destroyed & Luke finding Leia in her cell several days could've passed. She would've grieved alot already.

The other thing that's mentioned in the ANH crawl is "Rebels ships striking from a hidden base have won their first victory...".

So I assume we'll see this space battle or whatever kind of "strike" these ships accomplished.

whostheBossk and AmySolo like this.
  25. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    Would be a great high note on which to end the story.

whostheBossk and Darth Downunder like this.