main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Rogue One planets

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by darth_mccartney, Apr 10, 2016.

1. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

I can't see thousands of years of advancement overturned in twenty years. Let's not forget that some of those planets don't even have an Imperial presence.

dekaneas likes this.
  2. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Of the planets we see in Rogue One, only one of them contains a civilian city, and that single civilian city we see, it's "a war zone", essentially the SW version of Aleppo.

3. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    Out of all the new locations, I think Jedha is my favorite.

All of the planetary orbital shots of locations were artistically gorgeous!

Mostly Handless and Gigoran Monk like this.
  4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016

That's something I noticed as well. The shots of planets from space were stunning.

Mostly Handless and Blue 5 like this.
  5. Smellmet

Smellmet Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 16, 2017
    One of the best aspects of the film for me, from the stunning shot in the opening scene, through seeing the Death Star in all it's menacing glory hovering over Jedha, and the amazing battle at the end. The space scenes in general in RO were sooo good.

I liked the planets and locations in the film just generally more than in TFA (sorry to drag that film into the discussion, but it warrants comparison) which I thought, bar the downed Star Destroyers were just dull and boring, and didn't seem to make any effort to paint them as 'alien' worlds. It just felt like earth the whole time. The planets in RO seemed so much more lush and realistic to me, much better 'world building'

Blue 5 likes this.
  6. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017
    I'm amused at how planets that seem very inhospitable have large concentrated populations - Kafrene and Jedha - but a gorgeous place with plenty of water and greenery like Lah'mu looks entirely empty.

7. Blue 5

Jan 6, 2017
    Wobani's purple rings blew my mind my first viewing.

I wonder what the planet Jedha orbits around would look like?

8. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I want to know what the planet is from the first shot in the movie! Not Lah'mu - It looks white, red and brown...

9. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I want a vacation home on Scarif

Mostly Handless and Blue 5 like this.
  10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    They are in! (Sorry for quoting a post from awhile ago but just incase you weren't aware) :cool:

11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    There are Camels in Rogue One???
    :)

12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Have a look at the city shot on Jedha just after K2 says "You're right - I should just wait on the ship" You can see at least 2 on the right of screen... and several other in the crowd. Truth be told - When you blow this shot up on Blu Ray (if you have a large TV) you can see all kinds of goodies! The second is when the tank rolls into town on Jedha... One of Saws militia is looking through some blinds on a window and at the top of the frame you can see 2 Stormtroopers riding the creatures!

:cool:

I love this movie. There is sooo much going on in some of the crowd scenes - Takes me straight back to the OT.

Blue 5 likes this.
  13. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I think that's one of Lah'mu's moons.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  14. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I think both make sense, Kafrene is a trading post so you assume theres some reason people come in numbers to trade there, either that its a natural meeting point for traders or theres some resource locally that encourages trade, Jedha is an ancient place of pilgrimage which is going to mean income from pilgrims to support the local population and perhaps income from mining Kyber crystals as well.

The two aspects I'd have liked to see more of is Wombi and the arrival of Yavin. I think we could have done with a slightly longer scene before Jyn is rescued showing us a bit more of the labour camp thenthe jump to Yavin is a bit too sudden for me. Some travel with Jyn being rather cynical about the rebels and then an atmospheric intro to Yavin and the rebel base would I think have helped.

15. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017

It would make sense if Jedha STILL was a place of pilgrimage. The Imperials destroyed the Jedi and the temple years ago. Why would pilgrims continue to come there? Basically the place relied on tourists. Take away the attraction and many fewer people would go there.

A place like Lah'mu should have farms all over it.

16. Blue 5

Jan 6, 2017
    I originally thought Kafrene was in an asteroid field, but I'm guessing it is in the ring of a planet called Kafrene?

Makes perfect sense, but it just dawned on me the other day. Not sure which. I also didn't know the planet of the Erso homestead was called Lah'mu. Excellent.

17. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I think Jedha clearly does still look like a place of Pilgrimage with a lot of the crowd dressed in what looks like religious garb(with Chirrut reduced to looking for business from them) and think its inferred that the Kyber temple had only been destroyed relatively recently for the cystals not as part of the original Jedi purge. I don't think theres anything to suggest that pilgrim numbers were as high as they'd always been plus of course any decline might well have a delayed effect.

Generally I would say as well that SW has always tended to have the inference that your dealing with a very old environment with a lot of the population centers potentially the result of factors now long passed rather than being down to some smooth advancement. The Dune universe I think clearly being a big influence on Lucas generally.

18. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Depends. If it's on the galactic periphery, away from the main hyperspace lanes, it could simply be too inconvenient a place to live. Probably hundreds or thousands of lusher, more centrally-located planets than Lah'mu.

Secondly, it's actually not that suitable for farming. The volcanic rock of Iceland makes farming very difficult, and I imagine Galen may have seen that as an interesting challenge.

Thirdly, how do we know there aren't lots of farms on Lah'mu? We only visited one small part of a massive planet.

Lastly, there are reams of sparsely-populated fertile, beautiful places on Earth, and reams of densely-populated inhospitable places on Earth (including arid and semi-arid environments, like Jedha). Why people live where they do is a highly complex subject, and does not follow simple logic such as "green = lots of people, barren = few people."

TCF-1138 likes this.
  19. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017
    Every planet in Rogue One is so beautifully designed and shot, it's actually quite jaw-dropping and stunning! :) The Special FX team did a wonderfully perfect job! :)

La Calavera, Avnar and Blue 5 like this.
  20. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017
    Well, it's Outer Rim. Most of those weren't Republic-controlled, so they're likely to not get much Imperial attention, like Tattooine. So that might actually be incentive for people to move there. Folks on the run, folks not wanting Imperial entanglements and taxes.

Except that's not Iceland. That's Lah'Mu another planet in GFFA. That soil looks dark, rich, full of nutrients and totally suitable for farming.

They flew over the planet. We should have seen at least one more farm or roads or some indication of population and infrastructure.

For example?

Yeah, but barren and no water means they don't make food there. So, there has to be a great deal of infrastructure and trade going on so that people's work result in food and water availability. Even if what little we saw of Jedha is like looking at Timbuktu out in the middle of nowhere, while on the other side of the planet there is greenery and water and a lot more action going on, there should be some indications of infrastructure - roads, huge cargo ships with food stuffs and water.

21. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Apparently we need a thread on space farming :)

22. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017

LOL.

I think we do. What were those water condenser things doing at Erso's farm on Lah'Mu when the place looks like it gets plenty of rain and an entire ocean (it may not be salt water) is just over the ridge?

23. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

I think that the water condensers on Lah'mu only look like the ones on Tatooine but their function on Lah'mu is different seeing as how the two planets are far different from each other. Also I believe that the good people of Lah'mu definitely does have blue (Bantha) milk imported from Tatooine. ;)

Mostly Handless likes this.
  24. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I sure would love to visit Scarif!

Blue 5 and La Calavera like this.
  25. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    ^ I think these "love to visit Scarif" posts indicate that the RO fimmakers overlooked one particular detail.

The setting conveyed the (IMHO erroneous) idea that the Empire respected the environment and even used an environmental-friendly hydroelectric power plant. I for one would have rather expected to see obvious signs of environmental pollution, dead fish being washed ashore and so on (unless it was also an R&R location for Imperial personnel, of course).

whostheBossk likes this.