main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Rogue One planets

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by darth_mccartney, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I find this fascinating. Really, really like your perspective here, not least as it's quite similar to how my mind works. :)

And agreed on the general impressionistic tone of Rogue One from a color perspective.

Indeed, it's part of my sense of Rogue One as a visual transition from the cinema of the early 70s to the cinema of the late 70s/ early 80s.

Most of the film is blue, grey, brown. Shadowy colors reflecting a muddy world, both morally and practically, in terms of the state of the civil war in the galaxy.

Then as Jyn and Cassian's morality becomes clearer, and they shed their doubt, the film lurches into the bright skies and sparkling seas of Scarif. Finally, the film moves into the straightforward mythic/ morally clear world of the OT, with his black and red demons (Vader) and white-robed angels (Leia). Very much like the transition from Apocalypse Now to Star Wars. Moral malaise and pessimism to moral certainty and optimism.With Jyn and Cassian as the bridge. The bridge from the Rebellion of Draven to the Rebellion of Luke and Leia.

And the colors tell the story just as well as the script, IMO.

2. mirrorbright

mirrorbright Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2016
    I found this amazing color theory regarding Lah'mu and how well it blends with characters from the movie (credit goes to this podcast) / gifs (x)

"In this opening shot (Lah’mu), there are four colors (white, black, green, brown). For the landscape and for the people.

On the surface of the planet: there’s the white, gray skies, there’s the black, loam sand, and the green of the farm. The fourth color is the inside of the house, which is brown that is lit by the yellow lamps that they have. Same thing with the four characters who are in this scene (Lah’mu):

- Krennic is all white, matching the skies that are above and encircling the entire world.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

- The green color is the same color as Jyn’s jacket. She represents the farm and this thing that Galen is trying to protect, this is where he wants to be.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

- However, Galen is wearing all black. He is the black line separating the white of the Empire from the green of Jyn.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

- Lyra is wearing browns and tans, matching the colors of the interior of the home.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

When Jyn is in the cave and she is turning on her lamp light, it’s coloring Jyn a yellow color and it’s the same lamp light color that we get in the interior of the home. So that light she’s struggling to turn on represents her mother who she’s just seen die. Jyn is hiding in the darkness. She is hiding in a loamy, dark cave which is the same color as her father. So what this is saying is that her father has successfully hid her away. When she goes into the cave, the darkness surrounding her represents her father. All she wants is this light to turn on, which is her mother, but the light barely works. And the thing that provides that light for her, or a light for her, is Saw Gerrera opening up the hatch.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The world around them is a direct reflection of the story that’s going on. "

3. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    I love the names and look and feel of the all planets/locations in RO (especially Ring of Kafrene - very Blade Runner ish).

4. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I'm watching R1 right now and the reproduction of Yavin is absolutely stunning. The various consoles, the tannoy acoustics and the feel of the fighter hangar are fantastic. So much to enjoy - this is a movie that keeps on giving on so many different levels.

[/fawning]

5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    These worlds make this movie beautiful in spite of the grimness of certain themes.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup. And I didn’t find the themes to be grim. Ultimately, they were hopeful and inspiring.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  7. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Oh, yeah. Most were. I meant some regarding the Imperial persective.