main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Rogue One Reviews/Reactions thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 3, 2016.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    "It plays like a War movie!" [face_dancing] So Excited!

3. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    will this be used for both professional reviews and member reviews?

i remember the TFA thead had seperate threads.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    For now, it'll be used for both. Once the movie is out, we'll probably make a separate thread for member reviews, because of the sheer volume.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  5. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    Damn it as I was scrolling down the tweets I thought "phew at least they didn't spoil the opening" "... then the very last tweet spoiled it. My fault I guess.

6. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Kellvin Chavez@LRM_Exclusive 7m7 minutes ago
    Oh my... That #RogueOnefootage we saw tonight was way better than I had expected it to be, can't wait for the film in its entirety.

Kevin Polowy@djkevlar Dec 2
    Saw 28 minutes of #RogueOne. So far, so very good. Gritty as hell. K-2SO is hilarious. And the emotion is going to be strong with this one.

Chris TaylorVerified account@FutureBoy 2h2 hours ago
    Spoiler-free review of the first 20 mins of #RogueOne: omfg

Lucas Siegel@LucasSiegel 2h2 hours ago
    That 30 minutes of #rogueone has me spinning. PHENOMENAL. I'm so very excited to see the rest.
    Lucas Siegel ‏@LucasSiegel 2h2 hours ago Lucas Siegel Retweeted Lucas Siegel And guys, Chirrut Îmwe is going to be your new favorite Star Wars character ever. Definitive statement.

Amy Ratcliffe ‏@amy_geek 2h2 hours ago

I saw 28 minutes of #RogueOne. Can confirm K-2SO is awesome.
    Amy Ratcliffe@amy_geek 1h1 hour ago
    The style is so much more intimate... it is but isn't like Star Wars you've seen before.
    Amy Ratcliffe@amy_geek 1h1 hour ago
    And after what I've seen, I recommend Catalyst more strongly. It's not required, but it's gonna enhance the experience.

7. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  8. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I would strongly second the recommendation of Catalyst up there, btw. It's far more of a tie in than Aftermath and Lost Stars were last year (much as I loved them both)

9. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The tweet by someone who supposedly knew some insider who had seen the whole film and commented that it ranks in the top three of all SW movies ever made alongside ANH and ESB? That got me almost jumping out of my bed at around 1 AM this morning when I read it. Of course it really doesn't mean anything at this point but nevertheless it gives me hope.

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Immortiss, Larsonator, Lee_ and 4 others like this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Didn't he say the same thing about TFA at first before going off against it.

12. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    Nope, he said most fans would like TFA, but it wasn't the direction he would have taken it.

13. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    he also said TFA was too retro.
    what do people expect Lucas to tell Gareth it's complete garbage of a movie?:p

I still feel like I don't care about anyone's opinion on any film, it's too subjective IMO. I especially don't care about what the critics think of any movie.:p

Luke'sSeveredHand and Bowen like this.
  14. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Has George Lucas seen the movie? Two days ago they showed him the movie. Edwards: “I don’t want to put words in his mouth, but I can honestly say I can die happy now.”

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-one-press-conference-at-lucasfilm-liveblog

Sounds good to me! Doesn't quite mention how much he like it, hence the putting words into his mouth thing, but the whole die happy reaction makes me think George may have really liked this film. Which is always nice to hear.

15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yeah but George is Geroge is is one of those people who can say ANYTHING and get away with it

Bowen and Satipo like this.
  16. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    my point is, I don't even care what Lucas thinks of the movie, since as they say to each their own.
    and my post about Lucas and garbage was a non serious one.

according to this he liked it
    Fandango@Fandango 31m31 minutes ago
    George Lucas watched #RogueOne two days ago. "He really liked the movie," says director Gareth Edwards

17. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    When earlier reviewers say that R1 plays out "like a war movie" I wonder what that really means. Of course there is fighting and most SW movies start off with a bang. However, are we talking war movie as if all shooting or what? Seems to me there is potential for a deep emotional theme that not all TRUE war movies have (some do-like Saving Private Ryan).

So of course there is going to be war. It's half of the franchise name. However, I'm more interested in the emotional human aspect of the movie.

The most exciting aspect is that there are literally NO spoilers outside the trailers themselves. That's great news! I am really hoping for an ending that truly connects this movie to the others with mention of getting these plans or the message to Obi-Wan and making sure that Leia is safe on her trip on the Tantive IV or even a cameo from the ship itself.

Remember, Bail organa is in this movie. He KNEW Obi-Wan was on Tatooine. He KNEW Leia's message was intended to get to Obi-Wan who could get it back to him. Bail also KNEW Luke was Leia's brother and was also on Tatooine. Knowing all of this, R2, with the data encrypted and Leia's message saved, ended up on Tatooine. No mystery there-he knew what he was doing. At the very least, it would be AWESOME if Captain Antilles was in the movie and spoke to Jyn and/or Bail about who to get the message to.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  18. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    GL called him to say he liked the movie, hopefully when asked that question, GL will say the same thing. It's much more telling when it's coming from his own mouth.

19. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    AFAIK, Lucas went off in the Charlie Rose interview before seeing TFA. It aired after but was filmed before.

20. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Interview with Charlie Rose was before he saw the movie, after he saw it KK said he liked it. When asked about it, GL said the fans will love it and that is was the kind of movie they've been looking for.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That's still a bit of a slight though.

22. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Yeah but I don't that's the right thread to talk about it. It's about R1, not TFA.

23. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

But the initial reports were that he gave the film his enthusiastic approval after its premiere despite also conceding he would have taken franchise in a different direction.

24. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Praising action and a robot does nothing for me. I've, and I hope we've, seen these reactions before only to see the movie get **** on.

Tell me the story is good, and you'll have told me something.

I'm still worried about the story of this film.

25. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Also, TFA was the first film after the sale and he was still a bit stung at his stories not being exactly what they went with. Water under the bridge must help, especially when there was no such issue with R1. From what I've heard, PT fans and OT fans alike should get some fantastic nods.

Re story - no one who saw the clips can judge that yet because they don't know how it plays out. I think the premise - men on a mission to steal the DS plans is a simple but great premise.