main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Rogue One Reviews/Reactions thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 3, 2016.

1. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I am being serious here, but I honestly don't think any of the new Star Wars films will be able to touch Rogue One - It was about as close to perfect as a film could be imo! :cool: I hope I am wrong but I just can't see it.

2. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    There is no wrong or right, unless there is somehow an objective definition of perfect with respect to a movie. To me, a perfect movie is one whose story makes me not want to stop watching until it is resolved, and all of it's elements serve that purpose. To me, Rogue One didn't fit that bill, so I wouldn't call it perfect. However, as a novelty piece, I found it entertaining.

3. Amiga_500_User

Amiga_500_User Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 4, 2014
    ROGUE ONE was absolutely brilliant entertainment! Loved it!

4. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Watching the film again tonight and it's getting better and better with each viewing.

Some of the visuals are absolutely stunning, the shots of Jedha with the Destroyer over it and as we pan over the city following the cargo ship. The explosion as it reaches skyward to the Death Star is beautiful.

The realness and grittiness of some of the settings, characters and costumes really stand out too.

5. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Agreed. I think it's undeniably the best-looking Star Wars film yet.

6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Agreed! I really, REALLY hope someday (if it's possible?) we get an extended version with some of those other awesome shots that were cut put back in!! If not - Deleted scenes would be great :cool:

my kind of scum and AndyLGR like this.
  7. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    After multiple cinema viewings, I had placed Rogue One just slightly above ESB/ tied with ESB as my favorite SW film. Now after multiple viewings at home (including rewatches of ANH, ESB, ROTJ and TFA) I place Rogue One well and decidedly above ESB. It's a minor miracle. I expected to enjoy this film well enough, but had concerns about Edwards as a director, etc, and imagined that it would likely slot in next to ROTJ or TFA in 4th or 5th place, but it completely demolished those low expectations. I'm now an official Rogue One partisan, and my "Scarif Beach" T-shirt is in the mail: https://darkbunnytees.com/product/rogue-one-scarif-beach/

8. richardfromnyc

richardfromnyc Jedi Padawan

Jul 25, 2017
    I'm now all in the Rogue One Camp of it being the greatest SW film ever

9. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I am a big fan of Looper so Johnson does inspire some confidence but I do kind of suspect that the whole ST and likely the Han film is going to end up being somewhat tuned into a more modern blockbuster style that's likely to limit how much I enjoy it.

Honestly though even if nothing else I love comes out of the Disney buyout but Rogue One I'll still consider the whole thing a success.

10. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    One tiny little thing I noticed in a recent viewing.

When the camera first tilts down onto the street scene on the Ring of Kafrene, we see a blue female Twi'lek talking to some people, and we hear (unmistakeably) a wookie.

Blue 5 and Grievousdude like this.
  11. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I also noticed that flying above the street is a TIE Reaper, which I'd thought only showed up on Scarif later in the film, but had actually been seeded in right near the start.

12. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Yup, that was pointed out in an interview with Doug Chiang or John Knoll, I believe.

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Speaking of noticing things upon further viewings of the film, last time I watched I noticed that the Death Star is in the movie. I don't know how I missed it before but really a cool homage to the 1977 film.

14. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Thanks for your contribution, but I don't think anyone is interested in that kind of minutia.

15. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The more I watch this the more I think it's the best SW film since Jedi, possibly even the best since Empire even.

Also the ending is the best of the films for me, from the plans being transmitted to the poignancy of our heroes dying in the Death Star blast, to Vaders shuttle on it way the Rebel ship all backed by a fantastic score (one if my favourites). Once we see Vader on the ship the urgency and pace is like a downhill roller coaster as they race to get the plans to Leia. Great stuff.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's a cold and distant but entertaining war film with a wowser of a climax.

17. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    its a great movie they really hit it out of the park

18. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
  19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    After watching a few minutes of that video, I honestly can't tell if it's supposed to be a serious review, or a parody of overly lengthy and nit-picky reviews such as the RLM ones.

20. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    That's not film criticism. It's fanboy obsession.

mirrorbright likes this.
  21. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017
    MOD EDIT: Removed inappropriate comment

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Anymore of these types of comments will earn you a very lengthy ban. This is your one warning.

Blue 5, TCF-1138 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  23. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

Did you notice that there's a Stormtrooper up on top of one of the buildings as the camera pans down from the view of the TIE Reaper onto the Ring of Kafrene street? Just something that I noticed on my 200th viewing. ;)

24. Jorgz

Jorgz Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 11, 2017
    rouge one was great love the end of movie!!!!!!

Blue 5 likes this.
  25. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Rewatching R1 now and it’s almost better than I remember from the last five times I’ve seen it. It’s the best world building gffa movie since ANH. Better than any other SW movie since, it’s a gritty, lived in version of SW that captures that feeling of spirituality and mystery that made ANH so great (and ANH is my all time favorite world-building sci fi of the movie industry). Such good stuff, with a protagonist in the mold of Han Solo. Plus chirrut and k2. Great Saturday SW.

Darth__Lobot, MS1, astinus4 and 3 others like this.