main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Rogue Squadron movie announced, directed by Patty Jenkins

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Comedian, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    A lot of the "rehabilitation" of the prequel trilogy is a direct response from at least some of the fandom that absolutely hate "Disney Star Wars" versus Lucas Star Wars. There's a total blinder to how much flack Lucas took for the prequels.

I see the same thing wrt Dave Filoni. There's a lot of revisionism around the early response to TCW and even the continuity issues it brought to the EU.

IG_2000 likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In terms of talking the PT it's worth remembering where you are. This is Lit.

Whatever some of our criticisms of the films were at the time, many of us were also buying and enjoying the PT-era books, comics and games.

That in turn renders the discussion quite a bit differently to the wider filns-only focus of the rest of the internet.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    Nom von Anor likes this.
  3. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    The PT was not rehabilitated. The media still treats the movies like their awful. The movies are just quality and have proven to be popular despite the critics

Riv_Shiel and AusStig like this.
  4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Ironic if true, given that Disney has been generous with their support of the prequels and their era - up to and including the Obi-Wan Kenobi series, which can at the very least be thought of as a member of the "extended prequel family" if not an entire fourth installment in its own right.
    Media outlets not picking up on the general uptick of fan perception toward the prequels is an interesting phenomenon. Gone are the days when throwing a little "but the prequels suck, amirite?" shtick into an article would buy the outlets a bit of fan cred, but the practice persists. One would think that nowadays the ST would be a more relevant target?

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You really think they wouldn't target both?

Watcherwithin likes this.
  6. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    "Underwhelming" is being very generous.
    Not about the prequels, no.

AusStig likes this.
  7. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Yeah, I know. Speaking from my purely subjective point of view on these things, I would say the difference is in the tone - the ST tends to be subject to descriptors like "controversial" and "divisive," whereas the prequels receive a more snarky, wink-wink kind of derision. I don't know, maybe I'm imagining that, but that's how it seems.

Vthuil likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    To me, both fall into those descriptions.

One other common factor for me, for both PT and ST, is the EU products were better than the films

Dawud786 likes this.
  9. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    And that's fine. I won't run the risk of inadvertently spreading toxic positivity by offering my own opinions on those trilogies here - I just think the disconnect between media and fandom re: the prequels is interesting. More evidence, if any is needed, that assuming blanket opinions exist in a large, diverse, and heavily fragmented fandom is probably a bad idea.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    A while back I easily got to around 30-35 subsets of SW fandom.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  11. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    From consistently reliable Variety:

‘Star Wars’ Shakeup: Kevin Feige and Patty Jenkins Movies Shelved, Taika Waititi Looking to Star in His Own Film (EXCLUSIVE)

Back in 2016, in the Episode VII/Rogue One era, when Lucasfilm was riding high and the future of Star Wars seemed untouchable --- who could have predicted this? Who could have guessed that SW would veer away from movies completely for at least six years, and that any movie Lucasfilm announced was inevitably bound for a summary execution? This is depressing as ****. How the hell did Star Wars get here? How did every announcement of a new SW movie turn into a complete and utter joke?

QuinlanSolo, Jedi Ben and AusStig like this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Re-engage, dammit, RE-ENGAGE!!!

AusStig and Riv_Shiel like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t know don’t ****ing announce stuff until your in deep production. Just keep it as low key as you can. Like announce it when 1-2 years out.

14. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    :)

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  15. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    There's precious little actual news here. We knew Feige's movie wasn't a thing (Vanity Fair told us that nine months before Variety "learned it" in today's article) and Rogue Squadron has been in limbo since at least November 2021. We do learn that Taika Waititi wants to appear in his movie, which is not exactly an unexpected development, but it's something I guess.

Meanwhile, the article plays fast and loose with that December 2022 statement from Patty Jenkins, grabbing one sentence out of context to give the impression that she is confirming their "sources" while ignoring the rest of it - curious, given Variety themselves quoted Jenkins correctly just a few months ago.

In any event, no matter what anyone's takeaway is regarding the present lack of theatrical films, I'm finding it difficult to hang my head in despair and act like Disney is burning the franchise to the ground when we're literally getting the equivalent of anywhere from 3-6 new Star Wars films a year, depending on how you score it, on Disney+. If there wasn't a steady diet of live action content, then yeah, maybe I'd be a little more bummed about having to wait longer for new theatrical films. But as it stands, I don't think we're doing too bad.

16. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Oh definitely. Honestly, I am liking the shows better than films on average, so I could care less if they ever make a movie again - I mean, I was fan back when I thought we would never get new films again before the prequels, and again after the prequels when I didn't think we would get films again.

Still seems weird to announce films without so much as an elevator pitch on what it is about beyond the director, and to scoop up directors after a hit only to drop them as soon as one of their other projects has a slightest bit of controversy or mixed reactions.

17. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    The new information is that the movie is "no longer in active development," which is literally the opposite of the December statement where Jenkins told Variety "In fact, I am still on it and that project has been in active development ever since." In December, she told Variety that it was in active development, and now, Variety's sources are telling them that it isn't any longer. That's very new information.

And they didn't at all try to give the impression that what she said was a confirmation of their sources. They acknowledged that the statement was from December, and they tacked it on at the end of the paragraph in brackets as a sort of a "by the way, here's the last official statement we got from anyone involved in the production." They framed it as contrary to what their sources are now saying, not confirmatory.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to lay to rest Star Wars: Top Gu - ahem, Rogue Squadron.

Playing aside, might it be done by someone else? Anything's possible, but likely? Dunno.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    AusStig and JediFett10 like this.
  19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Didn't we kinda telegraph this when WW tanked?

20. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I am tired of LFL reactionism... when will they see this gets them nowhere?

I mean, kicking directors or else for failing in something not SW when they might still be great for SW?

That's like hiring my grandma because you love her soup, but because she ruined the fried pork you no longer want her soup...

MercenaryAce, AusStig and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That analogy really works!

Where Jenkins is concerned there's more there than just a box office flop. There is some very bad content in WW: 1984 that should not have got through. LFL's concern could well be a fear they would get Reylo 2.0 from her and that was bad enough the first around.

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh! Content such as? [face_worried]

23. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    "Sources" were all saying the same thing back in September, but sure, we can treat this as new information I suppose.
    That's not even a little bit how that reads. If they wanted that to read contrary to their own sources, why not quote the part where she actually states the film is still in active development, rather than the nine words - not even the complete sentence, for goodness' sake - that implies otherwise. You did a better job quoting Jenkins than Variety did!
    That's entirely true, but to be fair that mentality isn't new or exclusive to Disney - the idea that "you're only as good as your last picture" is ingrained in the culture of Hollywood, dating back to some of the earliest days of film. And honestly, don't we as fans tend to do the same thing? You don't have to go back too many pages in this thread to find folks arguing that Jenkins should be dropped from the project because WW1984 flopped (or that the pitch for WW3 was turned down).

24. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Reading that as anything other than "Our sources tell us it's no longer in active development; although a Lucasfilm rep did not confirm this, Patty Jenkins's latest statement was that she was still developing it as of three months ago, even if she wasn't sure that it would ultimately happen" is reaching preeetttty hard, man. They explicitly say that she was still developing it, and the choice to include “I don’t know if it will happen or not" doesn't change their meaning the way you think it does. Not everyone who brings bad tidings about Star Wars has nefarious intentions, after all.

25. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Then... why is it there? And why omit the following sentence ("We never do..."), which adds some very necessary context to that statement? No, I'm not necessarily saying the writer here had bad intentions. But out-of-context quotes and elderly "news" aren't great journalism, Variety's industry reputation notwithstanding.