main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion ROGUE SQUADRON - Patty Jenkins Film Potentially Back On

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by BadAcrobat, Dec 10, 2020.

1. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    The Akira live-action movie has been so on and off for, what, at least 15 years now? Not surprised.

Anyway, I wasn't really going to see WW 84 even if theaters were open and even if HBO Max (which between all the other jostling streaming services I probably wouldn't bother with anyway) was available where I am--between being somewhat done with superheroes for now and the trailer not really wowing. I wasn't expecting the rather polarized feedback I'm seeing, between people apparently loving it or hating it--it's usually one or the other with the DC flicks. Still, even if it is not all that, Rogue Squadron is going to be a pretty different sort of thing in style and topic, so I won't let this affect how I'll see it.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  2. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think that is nearly 100% of superhero movies though. Don't get me wrong- I would like to see them try a different approach; I agree. But the ending in a dramatic CGI fight scene seems to be anything Marvel or DC, except offbeat stuff like Legion. That doesn't affect my expectation for other movies from Jenkins.

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup. I really didn't like WW84, but I'm really looking forward to Rogue Squadron. I have a feeling Jenkins will knock it out of the park, and create the Star Wars/ Top Gun Classic that we never knew we wanted.

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Oh, I knew I wanted it. I have wanted this badly for years. This thing better be followed up by Rogue Squadron: Danger Zone.

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Or, Rogue Squadron: Dawn Patrol.

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    (Singing)
    "Hyyyperlane to the Danger Zone..." :xwing:

Also, LFL should have just played this video after the announcement of Rogue Squadron. It's everything I already knew I wanted.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  7. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Patty seems to like fish-out-of-water stories and so maybe our hero for the film is a young pilot who has always lived in space on cruisers etc and never actually made planet fall. A bit like the reverse Ezra.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That's cool. But there's nothing better than Star Wars set to the Talking Heads. Nothing. That combination solves all the problems in the universe.

Lee_ and starfish like this.
  10. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Rogue Squadron- a Stop Making Sense story

Bor Mullet likes this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Rogue Squadron: Aces High

Django Fett, starfish and Lee_ like this.
  12. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    They need to make a SW one using this one.
    Talking Heads - Life during wartime LIVE - Stop making sense 1984 HQ - YouTube

That would be rad.
    [​IMG]

Perfect, how could I not think of that?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Bor Mullet and starfish like this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Rogue Squadron: High Road to Dantooine

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Rogue Squadron: Hard Ticket to Hypori!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Rogue Squadron: The Kessel Running Man

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Rogue Squadron: The Need for Speed

Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Rogue Squadron: The Right Stuff

Bor Mullet and Lee_ like this.
  18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I can't help but get up and rock out every time I hear this song; that hasn't changed since I first heard it when I was 14.

Decent video put to the song.

I'm not sure if Patty was ever a metalhead, but her heyday (and mine) was in the metal heyday of the 80's. She could have been a Maiden fan, and be ready to insert this song into it, you never know....

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Patty Jenkins was more of a DC punk and hardcore devotee. :)

Lee_ likes this.
  20. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Funny story:
    I snuck onto the WW84 set in the Wash DC area. They were filming in a 1980s era local mall which had been closed for many years. Perfect setting for a 1980s style movie. "Snuck" is a relative term as there were no 'Do Not Enter' signs and one could simply drive into the mall parking garage. Which I did. After parking in the garage, I hoofed it to the mall where, driving past, I glimpsed filming just outside the mall entrance. Interestingly it was a scene not in the final cut (but definitely looked campy...at least that was my initial impression). Anyway, I headed in that direction. It was really cool seeing all the catering/costume/etc. trailers. I was on a real movie set! I allllllmmmmost made it to the actual filming site when a nice security officer lady stopped me and asked to see my badge. I made up some excuse about leaving it in the car. Defeated, I walked back. On the way there, I came across another security officer and asked him if there was a vantage point nearby. He asked me to hold as he stared off into space listening to chatter on his walkie talkie. "They're talking about you!," he said. and that's when I heard snippets from his walkie talkie about some guy without a badge. I assured him that I was heading to my car to leave. He asked that I do just that. As I entered the garage I saw ANOTHER security officer looking around, obviously for me, with the walkie talkie near her ear. Just as I came into view she looked the other way but as I got nearer to my car I heard "Found him!" She ran over and asked me to leave immediately. I assured her, as I did her two colleagues, that I was leaving and clicked my car remote so that she knew my car was right beside us. I drove off and made one more attempt to gain access via the other side of the massive set (essentially the entire mall was the set) but no avail. In the end no harm no foul and all the set security guards were super duper nice. It was a fun adventure. :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  21. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Isn't this to much CGI argument getting a little old? We been arguing about it since 1999 and TPM back then hardly any films used an abundance of CGI TPM was the first. Now all films use an abundance of CGI even a great Film like Tenet had a lot of CGI. I think a big difference now is CGI tech has gotten way better and practical is mixed in a way you can't tell what's practical and what's CGI! I loved Wonder Woman 84 I can't wait for Patty Jenkins Rogue Squadron!

22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Not in Marvel movies though. Somehow the CGI in the climaxes of Marvel movies always looks bad. I don’t get it.

23. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I never had an issue regarding Patty Jenkins as a director. I still don't. I think she is a pretty damn good director. However . . . I discovered that she was one of the screenwriters for "Wonder Woman 1984". I don't know how much of the screenplay she was responsible for . . . but right now, I think she should stick to directing. Fortunately for "Wonder Woman", she was not one of the screenwriters.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  24. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I don't notice it in Marvel. The DC films are bad. Just ask Henry Cavill's disappearing mustache.

25. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Yep - directing and writing are two quite different things and it is quite possible to be effective at one but not the other. WW1 was great and while I havent seen it yet Im hearing mostly bad things about WW84. Even the idea of how they brought back Steve Trevor sounds totally cheesey and contrived beyond belief. Patty shouild stick to directing. Im still not sure about this Rogue Squadron movie or what the hell the plot is going to revolve around but I guess we'll eventually know more.