main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion ROGUE SQUADRON - Patty Jenkins Film Potentially Back On

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by BadAcrobat, Dec 10, 2020.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    IIRC, it's been said it will be more like a kind of "Top Gun in the GFFA" sort of thing. I don't imagine there'd be much room for politics/government goings-on if that's the case.

I agree. I think they will want to get a solid direction together for anything post-TROS before releasing it. At least I sure hope so-this may mean there could be a trilogy with an actual laid out three-part story! Wouldn't that be something! ;)

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Darth PJ likes this.
  2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Only 945 days to go! [face_party]

3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Filoni is probarly involved in this in someway as he is now acreative director of lucasfilm, Maybe some certain cameos in this like Rey.

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  4. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Do we even have a clue of the time stamp of this project? Between ROTJ and TFA? Before ANH? During the OT? After the ST?

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Every time this question gets asked, I die inside a little bit.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So that’s all it takes? Good to know. Good. To. Know. [face_thinking]

MeBeJedi, TCF-1138 , EHT and 5 others like this.
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    What if it's before TPM [face_thinking]

8. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    X-Wings come in cycles, don't you know? Inevitably, we always just make them. This is set thousands of years before TMP, of course.

[​IMG]

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Hey, do you know when Rogue Squadron is set?

:p [:D]

10. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I would also like to know the answer to this, Pym. Thanks!

EHT, TCF-1138 and PymParticles like this.
  11. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    It’s a crime against humanity not to be able to ignore mods :oops:

EHT, TCF-1138 , Sarge and 1 other person like this.
  12. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Well, you could have stayed on as a mod and tried to become an admin, to remove any mod who would annoy you, so you only have yourself to blame :p

13. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Hey now, I gave up my power to be a man of the people, not unlike the lowly, wretched masses. My humility knows no bounds.

EHT, Riv_Shiel, TCF-1138 and 2 others like this.
  14. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Like I say, this film is probably set during the OT, so no cameos from Rey et al, but yes... I'd imagine if it's set in an appropriate time setting, we may get cameos from Ahsoka, Andor, Hera etc.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  15. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    replaying Star Wars Squadrons something Wedge said in the game made me think about it. He said that while he was assigned to Project Starhawk, Rogue Squadron was assigned to a classified op as well. So it could be set then In between Endor and Jakku. I would love to have it set after the events of Episode IX.

Jedi Historian likes this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    The official description of the film literally says it will “introduce a new generation of starfighter pilots” and “move the saga into the future era of the galaxy”. That seems like a pretty firm post-TROS setting.

TCF-1138 and PymParticles like this.
  17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

My big things are either Post TROS or at the very least post TLJ pre TROS so somewhere in the ST era setting.

18. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think we shouldn't take that too literally. Moving the saga 'into a future era of the galaxy' could mean a 'future era' not already explored in live action films i.e. the next set of live action films could be set in the period post ROTJ, but pre The Mandalorian. It doesn't necessarily mean 'future era' in terms of the SW timeline, but rather in terms of the production of new films. And of course, this wouldn't be up for argument if they'd have chosen an ST era X-Wing for the logo, rather than an OT era X-Wing (seemingly).

Sarge likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    That doesn’t make sense though. If they meant future era of films they would have said it. They specifically said “future era of the galaxy”. That’s in-universe meaning post-TROS.

20. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    THANK YOU

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Any chance they could mean "galaxy" as in "brand"? The "Star Wars galaxy" is somewhat interchangeable with the "Star Wars universe".

LFL reps endlessly use "in the galaxy far, far away..." to talk about practically everything from every era.

Riv_Shiel and Sarge like this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    You’re welcome. Btw, would you happen to know what time period Rogue Squadron is set in? I’m really curious. :p

EHT and Sarge like this.
  23. MY Millennium Falcon

MY Millennium Falcon Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2019
    Lol, that's what I'm wondering too - but I won't be surprised it could end up in the years after ROTJ and before TFA... Centering on the fledgling Republic training a new bunch of X-Wing pilots to be the first line of defense against a sinister new threat rising up from the ruins of the fallen Empire (i.e. what would become known as the First Order)...

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    Sarge likes this.
  24. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm just playing devils advocate... But "future era" is rather subjective, depending on what content one is currently viewing e.g. The Mandalorian, The Bad Batch etc. They *could* have just said 'a new era set after the events of The Skywalker Saga'.... which would have been more definitive and more in line with their franchise marketing. They *could* have used a logo which more accurately represented the silhouette of an ST era X-Wing. They *could* have had Patty Jenkins walking towards an ST era X-Wing, in her ST era X-Wing pilot outfit... I dunno? Maybe they only had OT props to hand, and didn't think getting the logo accurate, for the next live action film, was worth the time/effort?[face_peace]

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Sarge likes this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    The logo is only a temporary one created for the presentation. Given that it’s still three years out it’s very unlikely they have any logo designs finalized. Ahsoka is far closer to being released and still used a backdrop from the video game Fallen Order for its logo.

Saying “a new generation of starfighter pilots” in the “future era of the galaxy” seems pretty clear cut and definitive to me. Setting it in the OT era would not make it a “new generation” when we’ve already seen the generation after that.

TCF-1138 likes this.