main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion ROGUE SQUADRON - Patty Jenkins Film Potentially Back On

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by BadAcrobat, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah, the weird logo shown makes me curious about this one more than any of the others.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I just came across the video of this on Youtube. It looks really awesome! So would the story involve Luke, Wedge, and the rest of the squad from the OT Era?

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Patty Jenkins directing Rogue Squadron, I’m in!

I’m hoping it’s like Top Gun in space perhaps.

4. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Maybe Wedge. But I believe it is going to take place in post ST era.

5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    If I'm not mistaken, wasn't ROGUE SQUADRON one of the earliest rumored spinoff films? I seem to recall it being brought up it somewhere along with the Solo and Boba Fett films.

In any case, fun to see this reach fruition. I can't say I'm the biggest fan of Jenkins, but there's no denying her passion. More than anything I'm just stoked to finally know what theatrical Star Wars film we can anticipate next!

6. TofuJedi

TofuJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 30, 2020
    I'm kind of surprised they aren't starting things back up with a new trilogy.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I remember we all thought Rogue One was going to be a Rogue Squadron movie when the title was first announced.

8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The X-Wing in this video is OT era, but that doesn't mean the film is. The announcement does seem to suggest post-ST era. We'll see. I'd be more excited for OT era with a Rogue One tie-in, but this should still be good.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

whostheBossk and Sarge like this.
  9. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    Wedge Antilles? Gavin Darklighter? Luke cameo?

10. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I think they are taking their time to plan that out the way they want it. This appears to be a "safe" film in the meantime that most will enjoy.

11. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    This could be a cool film. I know it's one a lot of people wanted. I like the idea of a pilots film maybe a parallel with TIE fighter pilots could be cool. Granted I'm not as familiar with the further exploration of Wedge and the other pilots from the EU that other fans are but for old school fans I hope it's what they want and even then like I said I'm pretty curious at the end of the day.

I like Monster and the first Wonder Woman the latter not as much and I'm not sure about the sequel but Jenkins has a passion it seems for the idea that I hope comes through. I'm guessing Gal Gadot will play a pilot maybe? Hoping this will feature live action Hera. So yeah interested in this and hope it's good.

12. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    So this is one of those "cheesy but touching" stories Star Wars seems to evoke so well. As backstory, although my dad grew up with Star Wars and eagerly introduced it to me when I was way too young, my mom is by no means a huge fan or anything; her connection to the movies goes no further than being endlessly subjected to them when my brother and I were kids. Although she was looking forward to the ST out of a curiosity to see how the saga continued/ended, it was a casual interest more than anything. She did love Wonder Woman, though, and cried during the No Man's Land scene just from the feeling of empowerment (she also grew up a huge fan of the Linda Carter WW), and is really looking forward to WW84.

I just showed her Patty Jenkins' video, no context beforehand. Just, “this is the director of Wonder Woman, she posted this announcing her new movie.” When Jenkins talks about fighter pilot movies, my mom asks, “Top Gun?” No no no, keep watching. Then she sees the helmet, and the X-Wing. Her eyes light up. “Ohhh, wow.” I tell her it’s the first woman to ever direct a Star Wars movie, and she starts smiling. "Wow." Again, she is the most casual of casual viewers, but that reaction was genuine. Seeing that really meant something to her.

And this is why representation matters to so many people, both in front of and behind the camera.

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Maybe I was thrown off by the notion of Rogue Squadron. I thought that equated with the OT era; immediately after the events of R1 of course.

PrincessKenobi and Bor Mullet like this.
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, there does seem to be a bit of confusion about the era. Hopefully, LFL will confirm it before things get too confusing. IGN already posted this, which is possibly misleading.

15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I have to go finally buy Squadrons now

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Someone needs to remind me on whether or not it's canon that Luke named his squadron "Rogue" after Jyn and company. I vaguely remember reading about this showing a SW comic.

Kowakian Kebab likes this.
  17. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Based on the comics, yeah, but I kind of treat the comics/books as canon-until-they're-not anyway, since they've already been contradicted in places by movies and TV. It makes sense to me that Rogue Squadron would be named in honor of Rogue One, though, regardless of whether it's confirmed in a canon story.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  18. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I'm really excited about this!

Wonder if its going to be during OT, between OT and ST or post-ST... [face_thinking]

19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Could not have picked a less interesting topic. So many ways they could have gone...KOTOR, Darth Bane, a Mace Windu/7 Samurai Jedi movie before AOTC, etc., They could have done something really interesting and new.

And they go with X-Wing pilots. Stop rehashing the OT era. And yes I know it takes place in the ST era, but that is visually identical to the OT.

I an very excited for the TV shows. But this is a waste. No matter how gifted Patty Jenkins is (love her).

20. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    This looks so promising! Can we get Kenny Loggins to do the soundtrack?

21. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Different strokes, I guess. For me, this is one of the most exciting things they could have announced. Ordinary pilots are one of my absolute favorite things about Star Wars, if not my favorite thing, and I've been aching to see a live action Rogue Squadron story since I was about 4 years old.

22. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I feel like Patty is a kindred spirit here. When I was a student at Wright State I used to sit in my car near the flight line at Wright Patterson AFB and watch the F15s. Years later I worked at MCAS Cherry Point, the sound of the Harriers was an awesome part of my day. She's gonna knock this one out of the park.

Mostly Handless and Sarge like this.
  23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    just because the film will have x-wings doesn’t mean it’s just a rehash

as we saw in RO, it’s perfectly possible to combine familiar elements with new and original elements to make something that’s brand new

KSennia, El_Machete12, Sarge and 8 others like this.
  24. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    I haven't read this thread yet but I'm just gonna assume this is going to be a hot take, not super excited for this. More X-Wings? Enough. We had 10 projects announced today and almost every one of them took place between one of the movies. Where is the "expanding" of the universe? Where is the future? Why are we almost a decade into the Disney era and I still can't get any Star Wars stories that feature more than one or two Jedi? Would it kill them to give us something set in a timeperiod that is more ripe for exploration?

Idk, I don't want to rain on everyone's parade. I'm excited about a few of the shows. A lot of it just sounded very same-y to me. For the next live action film, I was just hoping for something a little more exciting.

Darth Megatronus likes this.
  25. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Patty Jenkins Star Wars inspired by her father? Amazing. :_|

Sarge and Jedi Daniel like this.