main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion ROGUE SQUADRON - Patty Jenkins Film Potentially Back On

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by BadAcrobat, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Why would a sequel need to have Poe though? Yes, Poe is important to this era but he can’t be involved in everything. This insistence that every character absence must be explained in some way has just never made sense to me.

2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Because Star Wars isn't a big galaxy as people claim it is....It's a small one ;)

Like Marvel and the MCU.

So basically blame Marvel for this ;p

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2021
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Blame them for what? A made up standard that some fans think LFL should adhere to? I prefer to enjoy watching this stuff.

Tommytom, Bor Mullet and Riv_Shiel like this.
  4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yes.

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The small Galaxy syndrome.

6. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Poe would be a good character to drive RS if it's post TROS - I mean why not why would you not utilise Poe and BB8 as familiar characters - all Disney Star Wars movies so far have used familiar characters, why would they change it now and have all new characters?

7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean who cares right? Star Wars is a shlocky galaxy anyway with divine intervention.

Honestly I think people complaining about Small Galaxy syndrome is just a big nitpick and not a real problem.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I don’t complain about it. Honestly, if Poe is in Rogue Squadron I’d love it. I just don’t think he needs to be in it.

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I Poe most likley just be a cameo role.

10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Just throw Wedge in there. I was against it at first, but honestly, just do it. Have a mentor pilot that the fans can say, “Oh look, there’s Wedge!” and all the normal, emotionally well adjusted other people in the audience can go, “I’ve never seen that character before in my life!”

DannyD, Tommytom, Bor Mullet and 4 others like this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean that's why i think it's likely post TROS story just so they can do that.

12. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    She is absolutely correct here and I'm rooting for her harder now:

StartCenterEnd likes this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That's a pretty superficial standard, IMO. And insulting to some really good directors who've made films released by streaming services. And I'm sorry. Though Monster was quite good, and the first Wonder Woman was decent, I think you might want to achieve "legendary greatness" before complaining about other people not creating legendary greatness...

But that's just me.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah, I really disagree with her here. And, I have to say, it really does read as a petty attack full of sour grapes. So yeah, my estimation of her as a person has actually gone down a notch or two after reading these pretty insulting comments.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Is there any word on a release date yet? Top Gun just got pushed back to May 2022, it would be cool if they could get some kind of fighter pilot synergy going between them.

16. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    December 2023.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't agree with Patty's "Fake movie" comment, but I do agree with her about streaming releases not feeling like an event, which is what creates the sense of something being "Legendary". We often forget, in our increasingly isolated world, the power of a communal experience. That is what gives things a sense of significance. That is what I believe she is referring to. Nothing beats experiencing things with other people.

As for sour grapes, I'm sure a lot of people in the industry are feeling that way. Imagine being in a band and being told you can release your album, but you can never play live again. Let's remember these are people who've chosen this as their life path, and are afraid that they are losing a big part of that dream. I think we can forgive them the odd disgruntled comment here and there.

18. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Finally got around to Monster for the first time a few weeks ago, and while it's the furthest thing from a Star Wars story, it's certainly indicative of Patty's talent for eliciting compelling performances from complex characters. Once again, I am asking for a reunion with Charlize Theron.

19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    This movie feels sooo far away.

20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    although I don't agree with Patty on this I don't think its fair to make this a platform for picking on her Wonder Woman sequel. me and my family loved WW84 I loved the Washington DC stuff in the Smithsonian because I grew up in the Washington DC Baltimore area! and the Villain was basically Trump and with all the crazy politics that was going on when the movie came out it really hit home but it had a feel good happy ending with the Wonder Woman from the TV Show!

also lets not forget that Steven Spielberg has a deal with Netflix with Amblin and Stephen King has a Hulu deal Abrams almost had either a Netflix or Apple streaming deal but they fell through he got a Warner Media deal Warner Brothers! so Directors and Producers in Hollywood are into the streaming industry!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  21. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I haven't been following this thread closely so I'm sure it's already been discussed, but has anyone had second thoughts about Jenkins after Wonder Woman 84 debacle? I think it's clear there were other people on an executive level who were also vital in making the first one the huge success that it was and she had complete control over 84.

22. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Ugh. I have no idea what Lucasfilm and Disney see in this hack.

23. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Well she was hired before 84 came out, so if you just look at the first Wonder Woman I can see why they'd hire her. However I do think it's clear she wasn't the only factor in the success of that film since they had another talented producer involved and she did not create the story.

24. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    She was hired at the last minute to do the first Wonder Woman and used another director’s storyboards. I also don’t think she had any input on the script and was basically just a hired gun. She had absolute freedom on the sequel and destroyed the entire franchise. I can’t imagine anyone wants to see a third WW movie after that disaster.

25. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I mean I want to see a third, but that's more because Zack Snyder's an absolute genius for casting Gal Gadot in the part. I would be more than fine with a new director doing the third one though.

Sarge likes this.