main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion ROGUE SQUADRON - Patty Jenkins Film Potentially Back On

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by BadAcrobat, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    This is a safe film while they plan out the next era. Wasn’t everyone just complaint they were not taking enough time to plan out their strategy? Also big lol at a Mace Windu film. Disney+ series at best.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    This is set at some point after the Sequel Trilogy. From the official website:

The story will introduce a new generation of starfighter pilots as they earn their wings and risk their lives in a boundary-pushing, high-speed thrill-ride, and move the saga into the future era of the galaxy.

3. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    I guess to me functionally this feels like it's going to tread similar ground to Rogue One, Rebels, and whatever this Rangers of the New Republic thing is. I need me some Jedi Knight adventures at some point....please.

Whistling Birb and Darkslayer like this.
  4. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Then why have they got a T-65 X-Wing in both the video and the logo?

Blueandwhite, Def Trooper and EHT like this.
  5. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    It depends entirely on how it handles the subject matter. This would be a post-war Rogue Squadron, so what threat their handling is up in the air, whether one or more of the pilots is Force-sensitive is a question mark, how far after TRoS this is, all of that influences how that basic concept gets approached.

And I'm guessing The Acolyte might have more of what you're looking for, but maybe more from the hidden Sith point of view, considering it's set in the waning days of the High Republic and seems to be about the ramping up of the Sith conspiracy. I do agree I'd like to see some full-on Jedi material, and I hope that's what Waititi ends up doing.

I don't know? You'd have to ask the graphic designer, and the video is just... a video. I doubt it's revealing about the film itself, considering this thing most likely won't start shooting for over a year. But this movie being set further along the timeline than we've been is right there, in the description of the story that's on the official website. So I'm going to take that as fact.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    starfish likes this.
  6. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    This is the only thing they announced that I'm disappointed in. It just feels so safe. We've already seen so many X-Wings in almost everything Disney has done the sequels, RO, Rebels, Mandalorian, Squadrons.

I really was hoping the next film would move far away from the timeline of recent Skywalker Saga being set 1000s of years before or after it. There's still hope Taika's film could but that's 5 years away which is such a long time.

Also I think this announcement did kind of confirm that the government after the ST is still the New Republic which is big news.

Darkslayer likes this.
  7. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I get why it can be disappointing. However, from a business perspective, Disney and LFL need to try and find something fans will love. They need to prove to themselves they can still do it. You can't spend money on other movies without making a movie that makes money. You also need to test the water before doing a full deep dive.

There's still so much they can do with this and it gives us a chance to actually see more of the SW Universe that we didn't really have access to going the same old route with Jedi and things.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  8. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I'm pleasantly surprised to see Patty Jenkins being tapped to direct a Star Wars film. I would have assumed that she would be too busy with a prospective third Wonder Woman movie to jump onboard to a different franchise at a competing studio, not to mention how she jumped ship from directing Thor: The Dark World and I wouldn't have thought that she'd wanna work with Disney again. Nevertheless, I'm happy that she's onboard.

I do really hope that this movie takes place post-ST though. Whether it does or not would make a big difference as to my excitement for this movie.

StardustSoldier likes this.
  9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I said Seven Samurai Jedi film. Mace would obviously be a lead.

10. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I also just, genuinely, don't think making a movie that involves X-Wings immediately correlates to making something that's safe or repetitive. Financially, the safest thing they could do is probably make an action spectacular with a bunch of Jedi and Sith and Mandalorians in it, because that would put butts in seats after one teaser, and would probably appeal the most to the difficult-to-crack Chinese market, which doesn't like Star Wars but does love over-the-top action spectacle.

Instead, they're making a movie that Patty Jenkins seems to have a personal connection to, that's grounded in her own interests and fulfills a kind of story she's been wanting to tell for a long time. That, to me, is a much more meaningful way to approach these films, and will probably lead to better, more interesting movies overall.

11. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    I wasn't excited for this project (beyond Patty Jenkins' involvement) until I watched her announcement video - she's making this movie as a tribute to her fighter pilot father who died in combat.

Knowing this project has immense personal meaning for her significantly raises my interest level. And I'm always down for creating new iconic SW characters that aren't Force users.

12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    They would be! :rolleyes:

They'll probably be in total charge of the galaxy again after they unleash their latest variations on the Death Star.

The movie will be about how the Rogue Squadron has to destroy all the left over Death Stars!

Don't you think it's just as likely that they are saving that for where that'd work best? By that I mean as future multiple streaming series that tie together? Such as the "Mandalorian-verse" they are building?

Some variation of KotOR is too much for just one movie and it looks like movie trilogies and the one movie a year model is completely out. The MCU can still do that because it's proven to Disney that it can work and with multiple movies a year. Their Star Wars showed that they couldn't make it work. The best future value for Star Wars is longer form streaming.

I'd bet far more on the success of an Obi-Wan vs Vader movie than Rogue Squadron but in content terms a 6 episodes series of 45+ minutes is like a trilogy (or at least a duo-logy) in itself and I presume will be a huge draw and event for Disney+.

Miles Lodson likes this.
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I’ve said this many times the time leading up to Rogue One was one of the best times on the boards. This feels like that. I couldn’t be happier that the spin-offs didn’t die with Solo. It’s just so much fun to explore little corners of the Star Wars timeline like this. I can’t wait. And I’m so excited to have Patty Jenkins aboard.

14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Isn't this going to be post ST?

This seems to be a part of a new saga, which would make sense if it were after the ST.

15. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Absolutely agreed. Apart from The Mandalorian, Rogue One was the most unanimously enthusiastic I've seen the forum, both during the buildup and post-release.

According to the official site and what Kennedy said during the presentation, but since this kind of a specific story and (I'm guessing) not a big galaxy-altering episode in the saga, I'd consider this a "little corner" of the timeline, even if it's further down the timeline than we've ever been.

16. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Even if a big bad doesn't emerge, it makes sense for a squadron to be established. Smuggling and other crime will never go away. Complacency gave rise to the FO in the first place.

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Right, especially since this is a pilot movie, and one that supposedly has nothing to do with force users. Great idea for a movie, but I don't think they would do a whole saga on that plot alone. This is not the the Top Gun saga.

PymParticles likes this.
  18. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    We have over a thousand generations of ideas...and we are getting more......Xwings.

We just had a trilogy and a spin-off about Xwings, and the upcoming Rangers of the New Republic will have them to.

A tale of Clone pilots during the war would be more refreshing.

But I would still prefer something else.

Rouge Squadron would work better for a Tv series, a new Star Wars film should create new grounds.

*sigh*

I’ll go still see it and I hope it gets good reviews. But while watching I’ll probably be thinking......”man I wish we got a Jedi focused film during the High or Old Republic or set during the Dawn of the Jedi”

Earlier KK brought up the 25,000 years of history, but so far “The Acolyte” is the only project respecting the vastness of the Star Wars timeline beyond just the film gaps.

19. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I'm hyped! I always wanted a Star Wars Rogue Squadron/X-Wing movie! :xwing::tie:

Sarge and Krueger like this.
  20. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    This. I LOVED The Force Awakens, and I thought Solo was fabulous too. Rebels was great and the final season of The Clone Wars was some of the most breathtaking and heart wrenching TV you could ask for - imagine if the Siege Of Mandalore had been a live action movie!!!!

21. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    What a day! Yes this is a day long remembered...a new movie in the works!! A Rogue Squadron/X-Wing /Tie Fighter movie. Sounds amazing with a good director. Wonder what timeline it will take place with what characters. My guess is it won't be the only Star Wars movie out that year.

22. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Bruh they could make Star Wars movies set across the same five day period ala-Groundhog's Day and I'd probably still be on board.

23. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    oh boy, another Star Wars movie where x-wings blow up TIE fighters.

Maybe they’ll bring back Palpatine in the sequel.

24. StardustSoldier

StardustSoldier Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 24, 2019
    I'm just happy that they announced something firm and definite for the 2023 film at all. But yeah, post-ST would definitely be my preferred era.

Left_Elbow and Darth Nave like this.
  25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Something can sound generic when all the details aren't known. I'm sure the movie will have reasons to be excited.