main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion ROGUE SQUADRON - Patty Jenkins Film Potentially Back On

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by BadAcrobat, Dec 10, 2020.

1. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    It's a remnant of a remnant

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    The actually story of something matters far less than how that story is being told. It's like that "Every episode of The Mandalorian" video that I've watched 800 times:

This is funny largely because it's pretty accurate. A lot of the show revolves around these kinds of scenarios. And if you only watched this or read the synopsis, you'd probably think the show was super boring. But it's the execution that makes it such a great show.

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I have a feeling this is going to be way better than people expect.

4. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Yes. Good times on the boards.

5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    If it has the quality of at least Rogue One, I’m sure it will be good.

But for me, even if it’s good, I would still be disappointed that we are getting another OT era influenced movie.

I doubt we are going to see non-Imperial/First Order threat for Rogue Squadron to take down. People will be expecting Xwings vs Ties and that’s what they will get.

There are several upcoming tv series that will have the NR/Rebels vs Imperials vibe, so I feel it’s a waste to also have the first upcoming film after the ST, to also be that.

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I didn’t know that Patty’s father was a fighter pilot, or that he was killed in combat. It’s so sweet that she wants to make this film as a tribute to him.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No, no, no. You see the story or characters don’t matter. It has X-Wings in it and because X-Wings were also in other films that means this is automatically bad no matter what they do with it. That’s why every film after ANH that had the the Empire in it has sucked. The Empire Strikes Back... total garbage. And don’t get me started on sequels that have Jedi in them. Ugh!

8. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Yeah I saw the teaser video with her and it makes me feel better about the movie.

She actually has some passion for the project unlike a certain other director who was doing for the pay check and I'm sure it'll come through in the film.

9. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Since we already have......the Empire (or Imperial Remenant) as bad guys in......

Bad Batch
    Andor
    Kenobi (probably)
    Mandalorian
    Rangers of the New Republic
    Ashoka (Thrawn)

I thinks it’s best to not have Imperials as the baddies Rogue Squadron fights.

We know post RoTJ some Imperial tech has fallen into the hands of Pirates.

What if we got Xwings vs Pirates? The pirates could have a variety of ships including Tie fighters. Maybe even other Xwings. An Xwing vs Xwing scenario would be unique.

10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    A doomed hero who sacrifices themselves ala RO may be on the cards, based on the promo they released.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  11. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Yeah I'm very much on the fence, and I'm gonna wait for more concrete details on the setting and story before I let the hype take me.

We've seen so many variations of X-Wings vs. TIE Fighters the past few years that if this ends up being that, I feel like even if it's the most badass Star Wars: Top Gun film possible, it will still feel stale. Doubly so, considering that Rangers show alongside it.

12. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    I would feel more excited for this film, if it was one of the early Disney Star Wars films.

But after 4 films of Rebels vs Imperials/First Order, I want Disneys next star wars film to significantly stand out in comparison to their previous ones.

Maybe save a Rogue Squadron film for a later time, after we get more content film wise of an Xwingless era.

Im not against seeing a return of Xwings to the grand screen.....but it should be given some time.

13. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I think patty is great and can do it the premise doesn’t super excite me I want to see Jedi but I bet it will be good.

14. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    The want to see Jedi again on the big screen is partly why Rogue Squadron doesn't interest me.

We were given very few Jedi characters in the ST. None in Rogue One and Solo (which made sense).

Im hoping Taika Waititi's film is Jedi focused.

15. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    I think the new Acelylote show might be sith focused, and I’m hoping that it is so much too! Like this movie I’m sure will be great but please keep making stuff about Jedi.

16. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Hey, that's the great thing about having so many new shows and movies announced. You're not super interested in this, but you might be more interested in one of the others. Personally, I've always been more interested in people who aren't Jedi, and that's also OK. There's stuff for everyone.

Kowakian Kebab likes this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Nobody thought we would see a force-sensitive child of Yoda’s species in the Mandalorian, so who knows? We might see Jedi.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  18. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    Hopefully it’s one that’s Jedi focused. Yes baby yoda is the draw for the mando for me and that story is so cute.

19. loof

loof Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2020
    This might be one of the most fun new movies I'll have seen in a long time. Jenkins seems like a good director and it's very, very hard to mess up "Top Gun In Space."

Intergalactic Lawman likes this.
  20. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    I really hope this is a OT era film!

Sarge likes this.
  21. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    nm

22. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Poe Dameron giving out the medals at the end? T-65s used as trainers? Cameos from Rey and Finn?

23. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    This thread is hysterical. So many complaints! Obviously no one has read the Rogue or Wraith Squadron books (no doubt influences on both this and Rangers).

A movie with X-Wings doesn't mean just rehashed dogfights. The core characters will be part of the squadron, long the elite group of pilots (and in EU times, military operatives) for the New Republic. This movie could be about fending off another war, preventing one from starting, helping tamp down piracy major criminal expansion...who knows!

We sure don't. But given that the franchise's history with "just X-Wing stories" is actually full of some of the strongest output of the classic EU era, I have more than a little faith that we are in for a treat.

24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    They mention this as part of a new saga. But I think it will start to show the world the saga is happening in, but not so much focusing on the characters and situations that will come in the main saga.

They will eventually likely focus on force users in this same time period/conflict; they are just warming us up with a pilot movie in the new era.

And yes, I agree that complaints are premature, especially given this director has potential for SW.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  25. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    It's "TROS" part in "post-TROS" that has me concerned. Nothing to do with the OT.