main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rose Tico/Kelly Marie Tran Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Sithblade11

Sithblade11 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 12, 2013

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

FightoftheForgotten likes this.
  2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I liked Rose more than the ST leads. A shame Abrams pretty much dropped the character for IX.

Bor Mullet and CosmoHender like this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I didn't like the character in the TLJ, but I was pretty irritated that she was almost completely cut from TROS. There was room for improvement with the character.

4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    She would’ve been a much more interesting protagonist than Daisy Ridley’s Rey, who I found mind-numbingly uninteresting and lacking any charisma.

PendragonM likes this.
  5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The character may have needed a soft reboot, but yeah, that could have been done.

I still think that making her gal pals and wrench wench partners with Rey for a few scenes would have gone a long way to better exploit KMT’s charisma and the character’s background; considering she’s supposed to be a mechanic, she doesn’t really show any expertise beyond a bit of exposition alongside Finn.

Hell, if they just made the “Q” for the main heroes, or had her be the first real help R2’s had in keeping the Falcon running, that would have done well.
    …eh, I’d have to disagree, though more because TLJ uses KMT and Rose as tools for its themes and more disastrous goals.

Both Ridley and KMT have charisma and chemistry with their cast-mates in spades… the difference being that Ridley at least got one whole film where the director wanted to exploit that as much as possible in a positive way (TFA), while Tran joined Ridley in having that misused as part of a generally emotionally cold, prosaic, and problematic story in TLJ. Ridley gets dogged on more because TLJ naturally poisons the viewpoint of her character by making it all about Kylo, but she showed she could hold center stage as the main character in TFA, while KMT didn’t get that chance until Raya.

Background-wise, I still think that five minute scene from TFA shows the interesting nature of a scavenger background for Rey is a bit more immediately engaging than Rose’s backstory. Don't get me wrong, Rose’s background sounds interesting, but I think the boring and trite way Johnson treated it shows some of its risks - more “mundane” backgrounds can sometimes get lost and forgotten by inattentive creators, and need that extra dedication to really matter to the audience.

Jedi_Fenrir767 and alwayslurking like this.
  6. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I think that's the case for all the characters, mostly.

godisawesome likes this.
  7. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Because Rey's backstory is about herself. Rose's backstory is focused around another person... who we also never get to know.

8. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Man, I really wish Johnson had kept that idea of Finn being Paige's co-gunner and he and Rose having some kind of emotional subplot dealing with that... and I really feel it tells you all you need to know about Johnson's actual engagement and ambition for the characters involved that he cut it because it didn't interest him enough.

Rose in TLJ is what remains of a larger character and story idea, reduced down to the only elements Johnson really wanted from them: a tool for voicing his film's themes out loud (even if they were contradicted by the substance of the story) and a warm body to draw Finn away from Rey with.

9. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    ...would have stayed away from Star Wars.

10. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Rose has got to be one of the worst written characters in Star Wars. I like the actor, but I’d have happily seen her killed at the end of TLJ.

FightoftheForgotten likes this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I fail to see anything charismatic about Daisy Ridley, unfortunately. I think she was a big casting mistake.

PendragonM and darkspine10 like this.
  12. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    It seemed that Daisy got the gig because she was good at crying on cue. I’m not sure what the general level of acting is like in the US, but crying on cue is kind of entry level drama school ability these days in the UK. I’ve watched a few things that Daisy has been in now, and she’s kind of flat, even outside of Star Wars.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    PendragonM, ezekiel22x and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Plus, how much crying is required in these films?

As much as I disliked TROS, I thought Naomie Ackie was a great actor in that film. She would've been way more compelling than Ridley as Rey, in my view. But I think Lucasfilm was playing it safe in 2015. Had to be a white girl, and had to be brand new in the acting world.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  14. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]
    No.

15. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    I'll say this about Daisy in TFA. The script doesn't convince me of most things (ex. her sudden bond with BB-8) but her acting does. I'll give her that, she's charming enough to carry that script.

16. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, the way I see it, Daisy was strong enough to carry the role of lead character in TFA, a film that wanted her and her character to be the main attraction; then TLJ and TROS were marred by how much more intent LFL was in wanting Adam Driver and his character to be the main character, and using Ridley to try and make that a reality by having her do most of the work he should have done... making it a question of whether she wasn't good enough to overcome that (which would be no shame, given how difficult that would be) or whether the situation would have failed even a legendary actor because even what skill you're supposed to use is rerouted into focusing on Driver (more what i think happened, but I could be wrong.)

KMT may actually be better in the since that it was always obvious she was much better than her material... but i think it's easy to overlook how much Johnson especially trying to make Rey a signpost for Kylo would damage even Meryl Streep as Rey.

17. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, the ST doesn't require much of her outside being a between-the-lines likable, youthful hero, but I can't say she elevated the material.

PendragonM and Darth PJ like this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. Carrie Fisher, for example, elevated the material to a legendary level. Ridley doesn’t even come close to that. Perhaps that bar is too high though.

Darth PJ likes this.
  19. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Ridley was fine for the role, the character just need a better story

same with KMT and her character

20. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    The casting of ANH was soooo much part of ANH’s success (outside of the other things). As much as I like and respect McGregor, Driver, Portman, Boyega et al, think the characters of Luke, Leia and Han were 1 part the words on the page and 9 parts the actors personalities themselves. The PT and ST were too encumbered by preconceived notions of what/who the characters should be. The OT, in particaular ANH, was much more free in how the characters were shaped IMO.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  21. beskarmando8

beskarmando8 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2022
    Rose is a good character.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I was taking a nap earlier, and I had this crazy dream that I was at the bookstore of my alma mater. I told the store employee, whom I knew, as I knew most people on campus back then, that I had moved to an apartment because it would be larger and I would have my own privacy. Then I saw Rose Tico from Episode 8, and I was about to discuss these books about the Bubonic Plague. However, she was about inject herself with the Plague, and she said she would "cut it off at the nose." I backed away from her, and I was like, "What in the blue hell is goin' on?"

23. beskarmando8

Aug 9, 2022
    [​IMG]

Time to inject oneself with a plague

24. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Yeah, it made no sense. Kind of like the movie.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  25. beskarmando8

Aug 9, 2022
    I enjoyed it.