main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ROTJ ending music - "Yub Nub" or "Victory Celebration"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth Philosophical, Nov 19, 2015.

?

Which ending score do you prefer?

1. Yub Nub (1983 - 1993 OST version)

9.9%
  2. Yub Nub (1983 film version)

23.6%
  3. Victory Celebration (1997 SE)

66.5%
  1. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    The first time I saw Star Wars was the theatrical special edition release in 1997, and I've always loved Victory Celebration, I've thought it was a perfect ending. About a year ago is the first time I heard Yub Nub, and I thought it sounded ridiculous. But, over the past year, I've come to like it more and appreciate how it fits in with the end of the movie.

But I have to side with Victory Celebration, just love it too much. Also, I really like the Hayden addition. I know its against the grain, but I feel it ties the trilogies together, also I never really connected the dots that Shaw was Darth Vader when I was little. Now seeing Hayden really helps mend the wound that was Anakin's turn in Ep. 3.

So even though its not in the question, my favorite ending is VC with Hayden. (Cuz Anakin was approximately 45 at his death, and Sebastian Shaw doesn't look 45, more like 65.

2. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Yes - even though I'm an OOT fan & grew up with these original versions of the films, I also strongly prefer the Victory celebration to Yub Nub - for many of the reasons already stated. It definitely gives the whole ending sequence an extremely epic "feel/tone", that is definitely missing from the ROTJ finale. Obviously, the Empire's defeat has far reaching repercussions & many in the galaxy will be happy about this - not just the Rebels on the Moon of Endor.

Re: the Anakin ghost, I don't put much stock in actors' ages re: the age they're portraying onscreen. Plus, Anakin obviously looked much older than 45 when Luke pulled his helmet off as he was dying (on the death star) - which went along with his storyline. I.e., he was horribly scarred, and his skin probably hadn't seen sunlight for 20 years. It made perfect sense to have the actor portraying Anakin in that scene also play the "force ghost" at the end.

Going along with this, I have seen people who are in their 40's look like they're actually in their 60's: In some cases this is from living a hard life, and/or drug/alcohol abuse, etc.

And, the fact that I prefer the Shaw force ghost doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I grew up on the OOT back in the day. I do like some of the special effects revisions/improvements in the '97, 2004, and 2011 versions of the OT.

I don't like:

The Hayden Force ghost
    Greedo shooting first (ANH)
    The removing/adding cantina characters (ANH)
    Jedi Rocks replacing the Sy Snootles band in ROTJ

3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Team Yub Nub. Always and forever.

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Victory Celebration by a mile. I've loved it ever since being completely overwhelmed by it in 1997. Not only did it elevate the ending to something far more grandiose and, to me, more worthy of the trilogy's climax, but it's bittersweet melody also accentuated my own feelings as the story came to a close.

With TFA being what it is, VC probably also serves as a better transition to that film's dramatic and somber tone.

5. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    I love Yub Nub but I'm in love with the Victory Celebration music. I actually want that played at my funeral. :D

Lulu Mars likes this.
  6. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    No RoTJ funeral pyre??

Deliveranze and Snokers like this.
  7. LazyJC22

LazyJC22 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    I could go either way with the music, just as long as the extended footage of the celebration on Endor (especially the Wedge-Luke scene) is included. Then put Sebastian Shaw back :)

MOC Yak Face, Sarge and Encuentro like this.
  8. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Yub Nub. Victory Celebration is a bit new agey for my taste.

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The way the galaxy wide celebration merges into the scenes on Endor is perfect.

Snokers likes this.
  10. Lazy_Ewok

Lazy_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2016
    Victory celebration, I am not a big fan of the Ewoks even though I have the user name that I have. Sure they are good for a smile now and then but they could have done a better sort of a creature in ep6. The Yub-Nub track seems too childish for me.

11. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Victory Celebration all the way. Love the visuals of Cloud City, Tatooine, Naboo, Coruscant and back to Endor. It's like, let's look back at all the amazing places we've travelled to throughout the saga. I like that we get to revisit 5 of the most important planets of the saga.

The places we don't revisit (Hoth, Geonosis, Mustafar, Kamino) all wouldn't make sense in that context. One planet that I maybe would have squeezed in (if it were possible) is Utapau as there were plenty of innocents on that planet. Though I suppose you don't really meet them, so...

Anyway, long rambling post short, I prefer Victory Celebration!

Darthman92 likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Depending on what the Empire did with Kamino after the PT, Kamino should have been seen in the montage.

darth_mccartney likes this.
  13. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I imagine the Empire went and *****d ***t up there! Would be cool to see the Kaminoans celebrating the liberation of their cities (some of the most awesome designs of the PT, might I add!)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I really like Yub Nub as a song but the Victory Celebration is much better in the movie and for a close out to the entire Star Wars saga.

Force Smuggler - My guess for Kamino is there wasn't a lot of celebrating going on when the Empire fell. Seems like they benefited the most from Empire out of all the planets we saw in the movies.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Might have benefitted from the CW but after? Doubt it.

16. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014

My guess is the Empire would continue to buy stormtroops and at the very least weapons from Kamino. The Empire could have taken over the planet to run production themselves - but why would they do that. Seems like an unnecessary step to seed contempt in the Kaminoans - a place where the leadership have no problem trading loyalty for money.

We're in a sort of gray area right now for how many of the Stormtroopers are clones and how many are enlisted. Kamino is really out of the way in the galaxy - so maybe the Empire would want to move operations to more centrally located location. I could see them wiping out Kamino after a move so they couldn't build an army for anyone else. Also if the Empire stopped using Clones they might destroy Kamino.

We know from Rebels the population of Geonosis was destroyed after the Death Star was built.

17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Force Smuggler

To keep this on topic - what sort of music would they play on Kamino to celebrate?

18. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004

Sorry...

Ord-Mantell70 and Sarge like this.
  19. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    One of the most beautiful song I've ever heard in my life. And there are.

Surely It would have made re-watching AOTC a little more engaging....:cool:

Sarge and MOC Yak Face like this.
  20. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
  21. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Now that I've seen that I quite simply can not have a bad day!

Encuentro likes this.
  22. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Yub Nub 1983 for me. Though I like Victory Celebration musically speaking as well.

But the former came first (I'm an OOT era guy), and is more suited to the small scale feeling and perspective of the OT I guess.

That new editing spaning celebrations on all planets inserted in the SE/DVD, although not bad in itself, doesn't really fit with the rest of ROTJ and the OT.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  23. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    Now that they are making the Sequel Trilogy, the Original 1983 ROTJ ending fits in better with the overall story. The SE ending is a galaxy-wide celebration and represents the ending of Saga in that respect of 1-6. The OOT ending celebration is JUST on Endor, so it leaves open the possibility that this conflict will go on for Episode 7.....

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I've listened to Yub Nub before, but I prefer the Victory Celebration music from the SE, the best music to conclude the entire saga.

25. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Wrong thread, please ignore.