main
side
curve

Bloom, IN RotK?

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by atataboy, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atataboy

atataboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2005
    Ok, so when are we going to be doing the Return of the King? I know it may not be till next month, just curious :)

2. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Im free any Weekend !

3. casey_the_hutt

casey_the_hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2005
    Won't know when exactly I'll be around in September for another week or so, but I definitely want to watch it. What do you think about trying to do the extended edition? It has quite a bit of really worthwhile extra footage, but it'll make for a long night. It runs at 250 minutes, which is 4h 16m, versus the theatrical version which runs at 201 minutes.

4. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    Well we could do an intermission for food to break it up. Up to everyone else I suppose. I can't even remember what was in the regular version anymore... or rather what wasn't in it.

5. tainted_crimson

tainted_crimson Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 9, 2006
    Any interaction between Eowyn and Faramir... *grumble* I've always been a little peeved they didn't keep anything but the googly eyes at the end in the theatrical version. Among other things.

6. Jedi_Narf

Jedi_Narf Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2006
    If you are going to watch 201 minutes you might as well go for 250. Plus the extra content is (for the most part) rather good.

7. casey_the_hutt

Mar 4, 2005
    My TV is acting up lately. I may be completely TV-less before long and may have to throw this shindig elsewhere.

Will keep you posted.

8. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    How old is this TV (make and type, etc), I ask as I am in shopping mode for a new one, as my current one is over 10-yrs old.

10 yrs is the most I can get out of one TV, and so, my current TV is number 3 and I am shopping for number-4

9. casey_the_hutt

Mar 4, 2005
    I think I bought the TV in the Autumn of 2006. Given how much it's on, a few years is all I really expected out of it. Would be nice if it doesn't die for a couple more years, though. After buying a new car, I'm pretty strapped. Plus, my iMac just died, too. ARGH!

10. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    two words for you guys BLACK FRIDAY

11. casey_the_hutt

Mar 4, 2005
    The error is still occurring. From all my research and based on the flashing red light code, it appears to be a failing capacitor or two, which is not something I can fix myself. From what I can tell, it's a pretty common thing among Philips TVs, so all I can say is stay away from them. I'm freaking out! Seriously, things will be bleak in my world with no TV, as pathetic as that sounds!

12. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    I feel your pain Casey. You know I would be freaking out big time.

13. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    Have you gotten any quotes on fixing it yet? Before tossing it out the door, so to speak... if you can find an article on which capacitor(s) it likely is, then I can probably replace them, as long as they aren't imprinted, which is rarely the case.

14. deepbluejedi

deepbluejedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2002
    probably the flux capacitor...those things are always going bad.....rofl

15. casey_the_hutt

Mar 4, 2005
    RC,

All I can manage to find is that they use 3300uf 10 and 25 volt capacitors. Does that make sense to you? I know nothing about this stuff. I called a few local TV repair places and the cheapest quote to get it fixed was $250 plus parts... no idea how parts would cost though. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

16. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    Well, what I can do is pull the board and do some ohm checks and see if I can single out your problem. I could stop by tomorrow night, but I will be gone this weekend. Or I can do it early this next week. At least check it before taking it in.

What's the model number of your TV?

17. casey_the_hutt

Mar 4, 2005
    Thanks RC. Tomorrow works fine for me (Wed, the 2nd, right?). I'll be back up in Ann Arbor this weekend, too. Whatever works best for you, but I'll be home every night this week.

This link will start you down a rabbit hole that I've been reading - http://www.fixya.com/support/t2525274-replaced_capacitors_tv_now_blinking_red

The error I get now is 6 long blinks and 3 short. The model number of my TV is the Philips 50PF9631D (or it's the 50PF9637).. not sure at the moment, but I can check tonight when I get home.

Thanks! What kind of wine ya want? ;)

18. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    Well, best wait to see if I can actually help :D

19. casey_the_hutt

Mar 4, 2005
    Any specific time I should expect ya?

20. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    Probably about 7-8. If you can, clear the area around the TV so I can get into the electronics.

21. casey_the_hutt

Mar 4, 2005
    Ah right... I can clear out the area, but I'll need your help getting it off the mount (it's actually mounted up on my e-center with wall mounts... it's not on the stand that it came with). Can't lift that big bastard by my lonesome. I also just found some torx screw bits, but not sure if I'll have the right size. Will check tonight.

Thanks again!

22. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    No worries.

23. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    We will need to step back out to get caps though.

24. casey_the_hutt

Mar 4, 2005
    No problem... where does one get caps anyway?

There may be an issue. The damned winery just informed me last night that there is a vineyard tour meeting tonight from 6 - 8:30pm. I'm asking now to see if I absolutely have to be there. I'll let you know either way.

25. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    Probably the only place around that carries them is Radio Shack (ah how I dream of Fry's.... if it was only closer). That's alright, just let me know. I know you are probably itching to get the TV back or buy another one if the fixes don't turn out. If not tonight, then I can do it Tuesday night (when I get back).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.