main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO ROTS at Midnight...What to Expect...

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Fishbait61588, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishbait61588

Fishbait61588 Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2005
    Hello all...obviously I'm a newbie, so go easy on me...

Anyway, some friends and I are going to see ROTS at Des Peres at midnight. The 12:01 is sold out, so I'm probably going to grab the 12:03 show (hoping that most people will get the 12:02). Basically, we want to avoid crowds and lines as much as possible.

We've never gone to a midnight Star Wars premiere, and I was hoping some of you seasoned veterans could let me know what to expect. Will there be a huge line? If so, any idea what time would be a good time to get there? I just have no idea...for all I know a line will start forming at noon or something...

We just want decent seats is all. Watching the final Star Wars at at 90 degree angle from the front row would really suck.

Thanks a lot for any replies, hopefully I didn't violate any forum rules :D

2. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I'd say at get there at least three hours early. And take a plastic lightsaber and beat anyone up that tries to get in your way. :)

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I'm not sure what to expect, this will be my first midnight show, and will be an atypical one at that.

4. Dinogallus

Dinogallus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2003
    It's gonna be my first midnight showing too!

I'm gonna get there at 11:00 or so. Be sure to get your tickets before the day, though. That's a must.

5. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Well, seeing as how those of us with the group don't have to wait in line, I'll be there about noon.

6. Fishbait61588

Fishbait61588 Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2005
    Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, we'll probably get there at 9:00. We've already ordered tickets, so we should be able to get decent seats, right?

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Good luck!

8. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    MTFBWY!

This will be my first midnight showing as well. A tad bit nervous actually, but I know I will be among some of the best people in the world.

9. KOB

KOB Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    It's my first as well.

10. YTMND

YTMND Jedi Master star 5

Nov 22, 2004
    This will be my 4th,just get there a few hours early,the lines will surely wrap around the movie theatre.Other than that,just have fun. :)

11. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I'm going at midnight as well! I'm in Macon MO, which isn't THAT populated, but the other people I'm going with say there are a lot of people expected. I'm not nervous about it selling out, just nervous if they'll have good seats...

If not, I'll probably sit on the floor or something. :p

12. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    CuppaJoe posted on 5/17/05 9:28am
    If not, I'll probably sit on the floor or something. :-p [hr][/blockquote] Can't sit on the floors or stand in the aisles. It's considered a fire hazard.

13. BalooKen

BalooKen Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2005
    You can take or leave this advice, and it really all depends on how much you want a good seat...

I am a veteran of the midnight shows for the last two episodes. You'll usually find crazy nuts like me within the first twenty people of any line for the midnight show. For Episode I, I got in line about 8:00 AM in the morning at the West Olive 16. Apparently there is a city ordinance against waiting in line outside an establishment before 12:00 noon, so the theatre folks and the cops moved us into an upper parking lot about a block away from the building. There were around 50 people there until noon. As soon as it turned noon and the theatre folks waved it was okay, we all ran down the hill toward the theatre like a wild pack of idiots! (Heh!) I would say I was in the first 20-30 people in line. I can also remember around 3-4 in the afternoon, a humongous rain storm came at us like a wall, so most people were soaked for a great deal of the afternoon. Lots of characters there in line... One fella, who kinda looked like a 7 foot Spock, was walking around with a boom box on his shoulder playing the Star Wars soundtrack for most of the day. You of course had the occasional plastic lightsaber match (which is always hilarious), and several news crews and newspaper reporters taking pictures and video.

For Episode II, I couldn't get off work quite so early, so I made it to the line by like 3PM in the afternoon... same theatre. I was about 11th in line this time. I heard from the folks in front of me that the first people in line had started standing at 1AM. Now that's dedication! (Or unemployment. Heh!) This time more costumes, plastic lightsaber bruise-making competitions, people actually watching Episode I on computers, tvs and small DVD players, small bar-b-qs and cook-outs, and even more weirdos than before. It was awesome!

Now I tell you all this because having the perfect seat for movies that only come around every three years, and the experience of just being there on the first night are important to me. I love being a nut this way. I love shrugging my shoulders when people ask why. I love making fun of people in line KNOWING that I'm just as big of a dork as they are. This is Star Wars folks! Maybe your last chance to wallow around in this type of atmosphere!

I for one will be at the Galaxy Theatre around 7-8AM at Boone's Crossing to hopefully start the line. I suppose my advice is this...

Get there early if you want your "perfect" seat. Mine is 3/4 up, directly in the middle. Don't take that one or I'll spill my soda on you! (Heh!)

:)

14. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Awesome BalooKen! I'm so happy that I get to be a part of the midnight showing experience.

15. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    I've been to the last two midnight showings, but my fondest memory was Return of the Jedi. I was in sixth grade. Me and three buddies got there at 8:00 in the morning determined to be the first ones to get in to see it.

Of course when we got there - two old farts were already in line. I say old farts because I was only 11 at the time. I'm quite sure that they were both younger than 30. It's funny how old 30 seems when you're that age. :) They spent all day playing chess.

We spent all day playing Risk (regular Risk, no such thing as SW Risk back then), throwing a frisbee around the parking lot, and looking over a movie program one of us had found a Walgreens the night before. Spoilers were practically unheard of back then, so you can imagine us going over this program, drooling, speculating, could Darth Vader actually be Luke's father? I was convinced it was a lie. :) Imagine my horror when Yoda revealed the truth. How? How could this be!?!?!

I also remember fondly remembering my mom bringing us McDonald's in the middle of day. Lunch is another thing you take for granted when you're that age and planning of full day of festivites. As lunch time approached, we realized we 1) didn't have money for lunch and 2) didn't have a way to get there.

And there was my mom blazing to the rescue in a silver '79 Dodge Aspen station-wagon with burgers and fries for the lot of us! Funny what stands out in your memory so many years later.

What a great day! Gotta go call Mom now, thank her again, make sure she knows how much I love her.

Hope everybody has as much fun tomorrow as I did back then!

16. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Those are such great stories! I am beyond excited, as is my 8yr old son! I was hoping to make really great memories for him too. I just wish my daughter was a little older. I don't think ROTS would be okay for a 3yr old who has never seen a movie in a theatre before. LOL!

I remember going to the drive-in to see Star Wars/A New Hope. It was not the midnight show, but man me and my siblings were so excited and then our van overheated and we almost didn't make it. That's a great memory for my siblings and I.
    Leash

17. YTMND

YTMND Jedi Master star 5

Nov 22, 2004
    I don't know f this is thre right htread to ask it in,but here goes.

Are any of you going to be attending the midnight showing at St.Charles 18?

18. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2002
    Hey, just wanted to tell you all to have a great time tonight (for those of you going to the midnight screening).

I won't see it til Friday. But that's Okay.

19. Darthtrader

Darthtrader Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2001
    The Post-Dispatch only gave it 2 out of 4 stars.

20. NIBBOR11

NIBBOR11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    The Post-Dispatch only gave it 2 out of 4 stars. ?

Personally I never trust the review in the paper. It seems the movies they always like are so-so, & the ones they dont make all the money.

21. Chocoboeh

Chocoboeh Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    I read that review! I liked episodes I and II, so I don't see why everyone bashes them so much o_O.. probably because these are the episodes I grew up with, unlike the majority of you. I was 9 or 10 when Episode I came out..

but 2 out of 4? Bah, lies! I'll see for myself and prove it wrong! Yar!

Believe me, if I had my license, or my mom didn't have to work, I would have gone to the midnight show..but I didn't have a ride, so..I'll just go Saturday.

22. SteelLepp

SteelLepp Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 1, 1998
    Yeah, it seemed to me that Straus just picked all of the things that critics have always "hated" about Star Wars and applied them again. But the Star Wars=baseball thing in the sports section was pretty funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.