main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ROTS] *Official* 2nd and Subsequent Viewings: Impressions,, Better or Worse?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Worst_Jedi_Ever, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Worst_Jedi_Ever

Worst_Jedi_Ever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    In another thread, RebelScum77 wrote:

I just saw it again today, and let me tell you, it's even better the second time. Because I knew what was going to happen, it was like watching a train speed right at me. I seriously cried like a little girl, where I didn't the first time- I was just too stunned. It's so incredibly painful to watch, but I morbidly want to go again, like right now.

And I replied:

I also had my second viewing last night, and I feel exactly the same way. About halfway thru the midnight show (around the invocation of Order 66, I guess), I actually thought to myself , "y'know, this is awesome, but it's so upsetting that I don't know when I'll want to see it again". That lasted all of 12 or 14 hours, and I saw it again last night, and discovered that it's not only great--it's a VERY enjoyable film. I was afraid that a lot of my initial reaction was driven by shock of the atrocities I'd seen, but I loved it again the second time and even found it--gasp--fun! Oddly enough, I also wasn't moved to tears until the second viewing, despite the fact that that viewing was a more fun experience overall.

And all this made think that a ?Second Impressions? thread might be a good idea. I am especially interested to hear the comments of stormcloud8, JediRac, happydudethe3rd, and anyone else who saw it early and had to wait for his or her second viewing.

I?d also like to add that I ?got? the first appearance of Vader-in-armor much more the second time. The POV shot of the mask being lowered hit me harder, and Vader?s Force temper tantrum and subsequent ?Noooo!? seemed more delightfully melodramatic than cheesy the second time around.

And speaking of the ?Nooo!?: A friend suggested that this might be the ?Nooo!? that Yoda hears during Ani?s Tusken slaughter. I went home right after seeing ROTS and popped in my AOTC DVD, and the sounds are similar, but clearly not the exact same sound clip. Anyone have thoughts on this? I love the idea that Yoda?s premonition might have seen that far into the future, but was impossible to interpret for both Jedi Master and audience until now.

I'm embarrassed to say I accidentally removed the other 2nd viewing thread. This will now be the *official* thread. Thanks, G_M.

2. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I also loved the Vader in the suit scene much more the 2nd time. I thought it was cool to watch the first time, but when I saw it again yesterday, that part when the mask is being lowered, and he asks about Padme almost made me cry. It didn't have that effect on me at midnight, but yesterday it moved me so much more. I enjoyed the film a lot more the 2nd time (and that's saying something, since I loved it from the beginning), and I can't wait to see it again. Hopefully I can drag someone along with me tonight. :p

UPDATE: I am going to see it again tonight on the IMAX screen. :D

3. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    I?d also like to add that I ?got? the first appearance of Vader-in-armor much more the second time. The POV shot of the mask being lowered hit me harder, and Vader?s Force temper tantrum and subsequent ?Noooo!? seemed more delightfully melodramatic than cheesy the second time around.

I had no problem with the "nooooo!" For me, it represented the final death of all that had motivated Anakin Skywalker, and, by extension, the death of Skywalker himself.

4. Kittles93

Kittles93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2005
    i liked it a lot more the second time.

since i had a sense of the story, i could relax a little more and look for things.

i noticed C-3PO say he was starting to like flying in the scene before getting his memory erased, which was pretty funny and ironic.

also noticed that Padme was "pregnant" at the funeral.

5. qui_gon_jinn_83

qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    I also liked it a lot more the second time (even though I loved it the first time).
    The sheer shock of seeing Palpys transformation, Windus death, Order 66 and all the other stuff really hit me hard the first time. So hard that I couldn't really focus on what the hell was happening.

There are still some things I don't like, but they are mostly very small, and not as many as in the other Star Wars films I think (!).

I think it will become my favourite Star wars film. The chapter in itself is just so insanely interesting, and then put the visuals on top of that and there ya go.

6. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I admit it, the first time I saw it I cringed a bit at some of the Ani/Padme love dialog. But the second time, I knew it was coming and it really wasn't too bad, especially the "I'm so in love with you" bit... And you know, really, I need those little moments where I can be like "oh, George, the gaffer could write better love scenes", because I need something to lift me a bit out of the tragedy that's coming up shortly. And it's George's way, I accept that.

Damn, this movie is good.

7. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    I just saw it for the second time. Words cannot express how much more I liked it on the second viewing. I don't know what it was, I guess I was just overwhelmed at the first viewing. I thought it seemed too herky jerky. I absolutely loved it the second time. The balcony scene sucked, but everything else was great. I've raised my personal rating from 7 to 9

Two things could have made it perfect:

1)In the scene where Bail Organa comes to tell Yoda to come to the medical area, Yoda should have been speaking to Qui-Gon, as in the novel. This would be a thousand times more satisfying than the explanation we were given. I pray this is somehow incorporated to the DVD

2. The Rebellion subplot needed to be fleshed out, but was pretty much ignore. However, the film was running long as is and the mass public probably wouldn't like it. Apparently there were 5 or 6 scenes involving this cut, so this will be good for DVD.

8. Darth_Sailant

Darth_Sailant Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2004
    Personally, I loved this film on first viewing. I was immediately gripped, and transfixed for the duration...

My second viewing, though still highly enjoyable, lacked the wide-eyed wonderment that I experienced first time around. I wouldn?t say I liked it any more, or less, however the experience was slightly more muted. Of course, this may be because I only had a 4-hour gap between screenings! ;)

9. TomPiltoff

TomPiltoff Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    Second time was definitely 100x better. I actually left the midnight showing feeling a little lukewarm.

But yeah, sure as hell teared up the second time.

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    It's interesting to how, here and elsewhere, a lot of people have come out the first feeling stunned and not sure if they'd want to see it again.

Then, when they've plucked up the courage (or the finances ;) ) to go back, they've enjoyed it even with all the tragedy.

11. JediRac

JediRac Jedi Master star 2

Apr 10, 2001
    Saw it yesterday, and I will see it again today. To me, it seems to be getting more difficult to watch the film again. Now there are scenes which I know are about to happen, and it starts getting overwhelming all over again.

I didn't think I would start to tear up again, but it happened. And I'm pretty sure it will happen today as well.

This is such a beautiful and tragic film that I don't even know if I will watch anything else this summer. Honestly, what is going to compare to this? F4? Batman? WotW? I doubt any of them will come close.

When Obi-Wan jumps out of his ship and starts cutting down droids, I'm so happy I could barely speak. I start to feel like a kid again. Thank you, George!!

12. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    i haven't seen it twice yet, but seeing the comercials now is so much better so i'm sure it will be the same with seeing it again.....

13. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    I wasn't sure if I wanted to have a second viewing. Just walk away with a beautiful feeling. But I don't regret the second viewing at all. Even got the same seat from my first viewing.

I noticed lots of little things, I missed on the first showing.

Were the clones CGI this time? On the second viewing they looked more real than in AOTC.

I thought the dialogue was nowhere near bad.

`... to Thunderous applause.' Was it really as simple as all that? And could it be?

And the parts were I almost started to cry (not on the first viewing either - weird) - `Then you are lost!'
    `You were my brother Anakin, I loved you.'
    `I hate you!'

14. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    Padme's funeral was just as tear-jerking as the first time, although I wasn't as affected watching the Tattooine scene as before.

15. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I liked it better the second time as well. My main problem with it the first time was I didn't think the opening scene was that exciting. It just didn't grab my attention. However the opening scene was a lot better the second time I saw it. Still not great but much more satisfying.

16. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    I didnt cry at all the first time I saw it. I was very sad, but the second time I saw it...Jeez

I started crying as soon as they showed the bridge Ki-Adi Mundi started crossing with Troopers behing him

It just got to me for some reason. His yelling, "Come on!" or whatever really worked, and then he is gunned down like an animal

I just couldn't hold it back, and the following Jedi deaths did not help at all

Twice as good the second time

17. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    I've only seen it once, but I do believe it will be better on the second viewing. Mainly becuase I was so shocked during my first. I was gutted, the film was so full of pain.

Maybe the second viewing will ease that a bit, now that I know what will happen. Or at least I hope so, or else ROTS will probably be the Star Wars movie I will watch the least number of times. And I do feel it is to good to deserve such a fate.

18. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    4 times now. the second was the best. some scenes still hit me really hard, but some just dont.
    overall, it gets better everytime I see it.

19. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I think it was about the same the 2nd time. I think part of my problem is that I am too conscious of the audience to allow myself to become completely absorbed. I'm waiting for DVD to make my final call on this film, when I can lock myself away and watch it alone.

20. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    StormCloud, I have the same problem, but I tend to that more with the people I'm with. I am remedying that problem by taking a 'sith' day next week and going to a digital screening by myself.

Though I had a great time with my basher girlfriend who clapped just as loud as me when the credits rolled. She was pretty much spoiler free beforehand, whereas I knew some OS stuff, so it was fun to see her reactions too things. She actually whispered, "Don't do it!" when Anakin had the sabers up to Dooku's head.

10 minutes in and I knew GL had won a fan back. :)

Anyways, I do plan on seeing it alone at an early morning show so that there's as few people there as possible. Opening night crowds are fun but can be distracting - I want to focus on this myself.

21. Freedom_Fighter

Freedom_Fighter Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 14, 2005
    yea see everyone keeps telling me the second time is better so i need to see it again. i actually felt almost disappointed coming out of the theater. i mean yea i really enjoyed the movie as it was playing, but it didn't quite totally blow me away so i actually felt a little diappointed. but then last night as i was thinkin about it more, all of a sudden the only thing i could think about was how flippin excellent it was. i guess it so much to take in that it's hard to get the big blown away effect of it the first time. well i think my dad may want to see it this weekend so maybe i'll get to go again with him tomorrow or something.

22. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Isn't is SO weird that so many of us are having the same reaction? Leaving the theater feeling let down, then realizing when we think about it for the next few hours that it was a masterpiece of epic proportions? I would love someone to figure out why that is. Is it because it hurts so much? Because we've been watching these characters for so long that they're like family and it actually HURTS when they suffer so much? Who knows.

23. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    I loved the second viewing. And it was funny there were 3 teenagers behind totally into the movie, and one of them had to leave, just before the attempted arrest of Palps, I told them that their friend was going to miss the best part. And they were like it stinks to be him.

I must agree w/ you amanda, the "I'm so in love with you" bit... I really hated on first viewing. But I think this is GL's way of saying that Anakin doesn't know how to court a woman, be smooth, which is why you idiotic critics didn't get aotc.

I am readying myself for a 3rd screening, I will see it in a digital theater before it is over.

24. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Yeah, good point there. Anakin is basically an insane stalker who ends up turning into a wife beater. He's not supposed to be some Romeo. Padme falls for him because he is handsome and powerful and dangerous. But you can even see in ROTS that they're already having problems even before he goes loony.

25. classixboy

classixboy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    stormcloud8: I would love someone to figure out why that is. Is it because it hurts so much? Because we've been watching these characters for so long that they're like family and it actually HURTS when they suffer so much?

One thing that comes to mind is that our collective emotional reaction is actually a credit to the dramatic setup of TPM and AOTC. Whatever their many weaknesses, they are part of the reason why we actually *care* about A & P in ROTS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.