main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ROTS] *Official* 2nd and Subsequent Viewings: Impressions,, Better or Worse?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Worst_Jedi_Ever, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    One thing that comes to mind is that our collective emotional reaction is actually a credit to the dramatic setup of TPM and AOTC. Whatever their many weaknesses, they are part of the reason why we actually *care* about A & P in ROTS.

Yeah, you're mostly right. A lot of little elements from both get a real payoff here, such as the carved japor pendant. If only Lucas had employed this kind of emotional touch in the earlier films (such as, for instance, leaving in Ani's creepy "I'm going to marry you" line or having Padmé later tell him "I'll always care for you, Annie" instead of that stilted "my caring for you will remain" garbage)...then again, given some of the bad dialogue that still made it into ROTS, maybe we're lucky he didn't.

Y'know, part of me is wondering if we like this film so much because TPM and AOTC were so bad in comparison. But the naked fact is that ROTS holds up as well as any of the OT movies, at least upon my singular viewing. The word here seems to be that it holds up under repeats as well. The real test will come around DVD time -- I well remember how AOTC pleased me at first but later lost a 1/2 star when I found it had aged poorly over time.

2. pakatak

pakatak Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2002
    The second time was strange. During the first viewing I was shocked and traumatized by the jedis' , especially the younglings, the turn to the darkside, and the chocking and subsequent of Padme. IT was intense, and sad. I remember thinking I Anikan afterward. I is a masterpeice extrememly well done.

The second viewing was a little different for me. I enjoyed the first part much more. I think because during the first viewing I was just waiting for Anikan to turn to the darkside. After the second viewing I remember thinking, I don't really want to watch this again. It is so painful, as the pain wore off I realized that it is a good film because it affects people so much. I will not watch it as much as I watch the other ones. But I will still watch it. I now feel the Emperor is evil, before he was evil and cool, now he is evil. Darth Vader is no longer a 2D villian, I always loved him, but all his charecter growth in the OT was at the end of ROTJ. I can't wait to watch the OT again. I even feel anger towards clone troopers. It must be because they hurt me so much. They killed my friends. Obi-wan is now a much better hero. I really like him now.

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    You guys are so hard on the "you're so beautiful, that's because I'm so in love" scene.

Have you ever engaged in friendly romantic banter?

I didn't think the scene was that bad. The "hold me like you did at Lake Naboo" was worse IMHO.

4. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    The "hold me like you did at Lake Naboo" was worse

I think that may rank just behind "I don't care what universe you're from, that's gotta hurt!" for worst line in the whole series.

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Oooooh, good one Jeff.

We should have a "best line" and "worst line" contest.

Worst line: anything by Ric Olie, my personal hero.

"Shield generator's been hit!"

"That little droid did it!"

6. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I agree with Garth, the "Lake on Naboo" line was by far the worst in the movie. The rest of the Padme/Anakin dialouge was great, IMO.

And Ric Olie rules. :p

7. menttality

menttality Jedi Master

May 26, 2002
    The thing I liked about the "you're beautiful because I love you scene" was Padme's female response.
    "So love blinds you??"

Everyone that is married or in a long term relationship can relate to giving a compliment to their woman and having the woman turn it completely around (even if it was in fun).I'm not sure why everyone hates that scene, because I rather liked how real it felt.

Regarding the "hold me, like you did on Naboo" line; it was a little harder to take without cringing. But I think what GL was after there was a little mirroring of ROTJ when Leia asks Han to hold her to avoid discussion.

8. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    ...Is it because it hurts so much? Because we've been watching these characters for so long that they're like family and it actually HURTS when they suffer so much?

Those Jedi deaths hit me hard the first time (Ki-Adi, Plo, Aayla, Kit). Especially because so many of them have become real characters in the EU (and not just background characters in the films).

But Anakin...I really identified with him. I had grown really attached to him up to this point. I was dressed as him opening night, but after the movie, I felt uncomfortable wearing that costume. Of course I knew what was going to happen, but somehow there was always this little hope in the back of my mind that he'd do the right thing. Seeing it played out like that was just so painful.

On my second viewing, I teared up when Anakin turned on Padmé. To see him break her heart like that, especially when he was doing it all for her in the first place. Also, that final moment with Anakin and Obi-Wan gets me too. To see such a good friendship turn to that. :(

On a lighter note, I realized why the "Nooooo" doesn't sit right with me: it reminds me of that old Energizer bunny commercial where Vader does the exact same thing. :p

9. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The "hold me like you did at Lake Naboo" was worse

That's the only line in the movie that really makes me cringe. I think it's a tie for me for worst line of the series. The other is "I wish I could just wish away my feelings." Ugh.

In other news, I keep wanting to see this movie over and over again. I just got back from my 3rd time seeing it (it's amazing on a giant Imax screen), and it was STILL great. I think I need to take a break before I go to see it again (possibly sometime in the middle of next week), but even though this is a horrific tragedy, I keep wanting to watch. :p There's something wrong with that picture.

10. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Wow, I had the exact opposite reaction as everyone else. My first time, I was excited, found the movie enjoyable to watch, and cheered when the end credits came up.

But I came back from my second viewing, and that was the one that hurt (in a good way, of course). From the moment right before the confrontation with Palpatine, I started getting this sinking feeling in my stomach. Anakin's (and subsequently, Palpatine's) attack on Mace was incredibly disturbing. And the movie just kept it up relentlessly until the end (except for the Sidious/Yoda fight; that was still fun). Even that little glimpse of hope at the end only mollified it. And, oddly, even though I teared up the first time, I couldn't this time. I just had this numb feeling.

All of which tells me this was a fantastic movie, that it can affect me so emotionally. I'm going to see it again on Sunday, so perhaps the fun parts and painful parts will balance themselves.

On a lighter note, the first half was far better now that I didn't have an expectations as to pacing. It doesn't feel like it races by anymore. The rescue of Palpatine also felt longer, Utapau was freaking awesome this time, and Grievous became a much cooler villain. I don't know why, but those parts really did feel twice as long, which made what was "pretty good" to "totally awesome".

And the not so good part: I had an utter jackass at this screening in the front who laughed at the stupidest times (I don't remember all, but one was during the confrontation on the Mustafar platform; this idiot decides it's a good time to start braying at the most dramatic scene in the movie). If you don't like the movie, shut the hell up; don't try to ruin it for the rest of us. There were parts where people were silent, though, where I didn't expect them: Vader's first breath (which, interestingly enough, at the midnight showing got some scattered clapping that died out almost immediately), Jar Jar's appearance at Padme's funeral (which the wiseacres in the midnight showing thought would be a good thing to boo at), and Vader's "NOOOOO!" (which actually improved for me this time).

On the whole, I think this viewing propelled the movie up to the top of the Saga. While before it was mostly carried by the masterful second half, this time the whole thing flowed fantastically. It'll take me at least another viewing before deciding whether I can really call it my "favorite", what with everything that happens. But it is one of, if not the best.

11. Master_Kloon

Master_Kloon Jedi Master star 1

Dec 10, 2001
    Saw it on a regular screen the first time at midnight then saw it today on a digital screen. Both were most excellent and satisfying. I cant think of anything else to say really.

12. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    5 times now. Its still great. :)

I'm seeing it on a digital screen tomorrow. I guess there arent any different scenes like there was with AotC, right... ?

13. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    The second time I saw it, I didn't think that I would get so emotional and cry as much as I did the first time. This time, I knew what was going to happen, so I could just relax, enjoy the movie and concentrate on the things I had missed the first time. I was wrong. When it was time for the fight between Palps and Mace, I got this feeling that I didn't want to see anymore; I didn't want to see Anakin turn. Of course I stayed, because at the same time as it's painful to watch, I'm very intrigued by it.

When I left the cinema, I felt, just as the first time, that I don't want to see it again for a long time, because I feel so emty and depressed. One hour later, I couldn't wait to see it again...

14. Philagape

Philagape Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    Worst line: anything by Ric Olie, my personal hero.

"Shield generator's been hit!"

"That little droid did it!"

Don't forget "There it is. Tatooine." :-B

15. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    "The entire planet is one big city"

No ****, Sherlock.

16. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    How come Ric wasn't at the funeral?

"There's Padme! She's dead! This is her funeral!"

The 'hold me at the lake' line did not bother me in either viewing. And I think the hair brushing scene bothered me less the second time, because I think it was a little bit more banter than seriousness. Anakin was being his usual stalker self, but Padme was teasing him.

17. lomion

lomion Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2004
    The batner they had on the balcony did not bother me, when she said "love blinds you" it had a lot of weight for me, I think it was an unintentional bit of banter that would have grave overtones later. I assume Lucas meant that but in the context of the story, I loved it.

18. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    "love blinds you"

Well Padme would be proved very prophetic as the love Anakin had for her blinded him from the self-destructive powers of the darkside.

19. sithlord2049

sithlord2049 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    Something I realized after my second viewing, we never get to see the armor clad Vader use his lightsaber or at least turn it on for the first time.

In ALL the promotion pics of Vader, he's got his red saber. It's dissapointing we didn't get to see it all in the movie.

20. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    From a movie standpoint, I think it makes perfect sense that he doesn't fight or use his saber. He's just getting used to his new body and wouldn't be coordinated enough at that time to use it. So I am fine with him not fighting or anything.

But...on the flip side of it...the marketing people should be ashamed of themselves for the way they portrayed his character.

21. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    But...on the flip side of it...the marketing people should be ashamed of themselves for the way they portrayed his character.

Why they were only doing what GL told them to promote

22. Aragorn_the_Elfstone

Aragorn_the_Elfstone Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2002
    None of the love scene banter bothered me at all. Sure, some of it was cheesy. But that's Star Wars. I found it charming actually.

23. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    I just got back from my second veiwing and Burger King kids meal (I wanted the toy.) I have to say it was just asd good as the first time, and seeing as I knew what was coming I could make jokes, me and my friends often do, like if someone says 'I'll kill you' we will say 'with a spoon!'

Also I could point out things like cameo's with out misssing parts of the movie.

I still stayed to the end of the credits though. BTW Theres a credit for Javva the Hutt!

24. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    After the first midnight viewing, I had mixed feelings. I was on the edge of my seat, and was too afraid of falling off to truly enjoy the film. It was a thrill ride and roller coaster and I wasn't at all sure how much I liked the film.

Today, I saw it a second time.
    Now there isn't a question in my mind--I love this film.

-Seldon

25. TheUnknownSyn

TheUnknownSyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2003
    Just watched it the second time and it wasn't really better as it has been for others. Order 66, the younglings and the duel had a similar impact but during the rest of the film I was slightly bored, frankly.

What was nice though, was while I went into the theatre under nice, sunny weather, near dusk...when I came out it was raining like there's no tomorrow, including lightning. It was perfect, mirroring the weather on Coruscant during Vader's 'treatment'.

I think it's also because like stormcloud, I was too conscious of the audience this time. The fact that there was a huge green line from top to bottom of the screen during Anakin and Padme's final scene together was also disruptive. Also, I sat splat in the middle. Great view, but at my first viewing I was a bit isolated with friends in front of me and to my side, which I guess helped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.