main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ROTS] *Official* 2nd and Subsequent Viewings: Impressions,, Better or Worse?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Worst_Jedi_Ever, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marajadebean

marajadebean Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    OKay, had my third viewing today and each viewing makes it more and more my favorite. I know, said I would see it more like the saga but this movie has everything in it. I have to say this now or I will forget again, I never thought the heartbeat sound at the end of teaser trailer would be Padme's. I always thought it would be Ani/Vader. I've gotten so caught up in my emotions that I've forgotten about mentioning it.

I still do cry with the Jedi purge, the Ani/Obi "I hate you/I loved you" scene, Anakin's immolation, the birth of the twins, Padme's funeral/Vader's birth, "Where's Padme? Is she safe?", when Leia is with Bail and his wife on Alderaan and Obi delivering Luke to Beru and Owen.

I think what always strikes me is how much of a contrast this movie is from the beginning to the end. I kinda wish they built on the Anakin and R2 relationship more but there was so much ground to cover in this movie. If any of you haven't read the book yet, you really should.

One of my favorite scenes, not one I think most would choose or point to, is when Padme lands on Mustafar and she looks out the ship and sees Anakin and how Anakin puts his hood down and Padme gets out of her seat and...I don't know, I love the emotional desparation in that scene.

2. bswb

bswb Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    Third viewing yesterday afternoon. This time, I took my folks. My mom saw the original SW back in 77 and saw AOTC cause my dad wanted to see it. My dad has seen the whole saga and knows it, but isn't anywhere near obsessive.

The audience was about 2/3 full in the biggest theater in San Jose, which is pretty cool, considering it's a 1/3 show. Pretty warm applause at the end, except for the 2 early teens who kept scoffing at everything (it was bizarre because I couldn't figure out what they actually liked - they scoffed at fighting, flying, romance, drama. ah well, at that age, I felt like I was too cool for everything too).

Anyways, first my thoughts:
    This is a great, great movie. It may rank 2nd in my saga list, and could have been first if about 2 minutes were tweaked. The opening space battle is still a visual feast and now more than ever, I get the real sense of brotherhood between Anakin and Obi-Wan. After reading the making-of book, I really wish they would have cut a little bit of the buzz droid stuff and restored some footage of grievous killing Shaak Ti - it would have definitely given him a different aura, especially for casual fans.

The Dooku fight is better than I remember. Probably because I focused before on the plot and this time I was watching more for how Anakin gives into his rage to fight back after Obi-Wan is knocked out. Great drama.

The "You're so beautiful" scene still is laughable for me. I give Portman and Christansen credit for going for it instead of laughing through it. Yeah, I know it's similar to what young couples sometimes say - hell, I'm sure I was guilty of it at one point or another in my 26 years - but I really don't need to see it in my entertainment. At least it's short. I understand that GL kept it in to establish that Padme wants to go to Naboo, but that could have easily been slipped into exposition elsewhere. I'd rather have this two minutes of screen time used for the cut petition scene to show that Padme is still active in the senate.

Anakin's fall makes much more sense the more I see this film. The "What have I done?" line works for me as the moment where Anakin hesitates before he remembers that he's doing this for Padme. As for people who say "How can he just go and kill the Jedi?", they must remember that he and Palpatine believe the Jedi will move against the senate - including Padme. They MUST be destroyed to protect his wife, regardless of how hard it may be for Anakin. This is how Anakin chooses Palpatine, Padme, and the Republic over the Jedi Order.

The whole Padme will to live thing still bugs me. It also reminds me a lot of the Tristan/Isolde story from Arthurian mythology (basically, two lovers both die of broken hearts after one of them is lied to). I just don't think it fits the context of Padme's character because she seems so happy about having a baby, why wouldn't that factor into her will to live? I think the scene would have been fine if the only thing the medical droid said were "she's dying" and "she's carrying twins"

Someone mentioned the fact that Luke's eyes are closed on Tatooine and Leia's are open on Alderaan. Can babies have their eyes closed for a few weeks after they're born? I have absolutely zero knowledge on the subject, but that could be the only rational explanation for Leia's memories and Luke's lackthereof. Oh well, I suppose the director's commentary will address this.

I would have liked to hear the voice of Qui-Gon Jinn as a hint before Yoda explains it to Obi-Wan.

As for the very controversial "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" scene, it was better this time, but I really realized what bugs me about it. When things are exploding, you can hear a mangled yell/cry coming from Vader. He breaks loose and stumbles around, things are exploding...then he stops and just waves his arms around and yells "NOOOOOOOO!" It's too much like a high school drama for me. I know there's the argument that he's new to his body and CAN'T do anything else other than just wave his arms around, which I'd say is untrue since he was able to break out of his

3. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    The NOOOOOOOOOOO makes more sense to me in the context of there being a NOOOOOOOOOOOO in the previous five movies at the point of a key death or dramatic turn. It's a Star Wars tradition.

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    It is indeed.

I've now seen the movie 4 times. It rules. The one thing that kind of bugs me is the medical droid's "she's lost the will to live" bit. Let her die from the pains of childbirth, let her die of a broken heart, whatever.

The lines of the droid just seem a little redundant to me.

Other than that, I would have liked to have seen Grievous kill Shaak Ti. She's been cut twice, by the way. Her death was moved to the Jedi Temple, and she was going to be killed by Anakin, if I remember correctly. 8-}

There's a couple of cuts in The Duel that bugged me a little, though it remains my favorite duel of the Saga.

We'll see where I rank it after the DVD comes out. But I'm like storm right now - I find it impossible to rank Episodes III-VI. TPM and AOTC are clearly inferior (though still great movies).

5. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Greets,

I have had the priviledge of seeing this movie 6 times so far and still want to see it again. There are many scenes that I enjoy seeing. If they had a term for it, I'd guess it's some sort of visual addiction. The first step to solving that problem is to admit I have it. The second step is to watch the movie. Repeat when neccessary. Well, there is also some heavy emotional scenes which on viewing 4 and 5 seemed not to tug at any feelings. But on viewing 6, they returned. Not only that, but I'd suggest for anyone to go wtach Episode 6 again. When you see Anakin at the end, with Yoda and Ben, it is much more powerful than the old version. Seeing Anakin smiling again is good...for everybody.

For viewings 5 and 6, I saw it in a small theater with no surround sound. That's fine but the music and heavy blasts weren't powerful through the theaters system. So I'm looking forward to seeing it again in a bigger theater because the punch of sounds is so well done that it is missed if not there. Great stuff...I want to see more.

Isurus the White

6. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I finally got to see it again today, for the 3rd time. It nearly killed me not being able to see it for over 2 weeks, but I did it. Sadly they moved it into a smaller theatre and the print is obviously starting to degrade, but in the next couple days I'll get to see it digitally.

Though not seeing it for so long gave me another perspective on it, and I also read the novelization, which has pretty interesting differences. And I've listened to the soundtrack a million times, and because I practically have it memorized, it added SO much to the film. Music really gets me going in movies, I'll tear up during trailers because the music is so powerful. :p But seriously, really seeing what scenes correspond to what tracks is almost like seeing the movie for the first time. Really amazing stuff. But it only makes me sad that the entire soundtrack wasn't released, I'm sure it will be eventually, but I really want it now. My favorite theme (besides the obvious "Battle of the Heros" is the "Anakin's Betrayal" theme, it shows up many different times in the movie, but only once or twice in the soundtrack as they gave us. I swear every time I hear it I want to cry like a little girl.

The more I see it, the more Anakin's fall becomes believable. I believed it the first time, don't get me wrong, but you notice little things every time. It really becomes apparent how much he was backed into a corner, and how Palpatine plays the Padme card. Though it's really hard to be unbiased now because I've read the book, as well as the "Making Of..." book, and it gives you so much extra insight into everything, it's ALL that much more believable.

The Anakin killing Shaak Ti bit was filmed and I think it's going to be on the DVD. I would have liked to see it, not sure why they cut it out in the end... perhaps Lucas thought that actually seeing Anakin kill Jedi would take away any sympathy for him... though of course, we know he DOES kill them, but it is interesting we don't really see it, except for on a holo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.