main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC RPG Discussion Thread v2.0

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by NaboosPrincess, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Good. Let´s try it, Fin. Then we can plan on a game in that format, learning from possible problems.

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    This play-by-date thing sounds interesting, and vaguely familiar.

I used to be able to do it, posting several times over a number of hours, when I worked in an internet cafe, and the games I was in, were dynamic enough that there were several postings from several players each day, and it made for a really vibrant gameplay environment!

Galaxy at War was like that when I first joined it in 2006(?). It was great, you had RL time issues trying to get your post written and up before someone else posted theirs and changed the situation.

Also, had a similar experience, the last time I ever saw hide nor hair of the great LordDarthUmbrus, when he dropped a probe and an electronic burst transmission of Mando'a script into the middle of a fleet engagement, leaving players scrambling to work out what it was about and get their posts up.

So it does not have to be an entire game played like that. I would definitely love to participate in something like that!

3. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    I see the attractivness of doing a game that way. Think about leaving out the in between moments and just do the important scenes. More like a movie than a diary. So, if you want to do it, LordT . . . and my limited time is not keeping me away from it . . . do it! And I´ll be there!

And I´ll lurk your attempt in Embrace, boys. I wanna know who makes it, anyway.

4. Climperoonie

Climperoonie Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2008
    Hey everyone, I haven't been here in a while but have recently gotten back into Star Wars. I wanted to do some Clone Wars RPing but couldn't find any, and I don't want to make one myself yet in case it's shot down. So I'm bumping this just to ask if I created an RPG that was set in the mid-Clone Wars and emulated the gritty warfare of comic stroylines like "Last stand on Jabiim", would anyone be interested in joining?

5. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
  6. Climperoonie

Sep 2, 2008
    Didn't see that one, thanks for that :D. I'll work on a Character sheet right away.

EDIT: Just read through it properly, it's not actually the kind of thing I had in mind (Due to the whole CSF stuff). I'm interested in a more 'free' RPG, if you see what I mean.

7. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    If anyone is interested, STAR WARS: INTERVENTION (A story-telling style OT starfighter game) is ready to take on new/more players. :) We'll have a summary post of the whole game thus far up very soon. So character sheets are welcome (both new and returning players) at any time before or after the summary post is up.

Please send character sheets to myself or greyjedi125. :)

8. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ah, Bravo, been meaning to see you. If you are still looking for Alliance starfighter action, outside of your game, take a peruse of Final Resurrection.

9. Climperoonie

Sep 2, 2008
    Check out my new RPG (In response to my above posts), STAR WARS: On the Front Lines. It's a campaign based RPG set during the Clone Wars that encourages more tactical RPG playing.

10. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Thanks Sith-I-5. :) Has the feel of War of the Galaxies, does it not? [face_thinking]

I saw your new addition, Climperoonie. :)

11. Climperoonie

Sep 2, 2008
    Do you like the sounds of it?

12. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I like the idea behind the RPG. :) I haven't read any of the Clone Wars era books I believe outside of watching the movies and the recent Clone Wars movie. I've only watched a little of the animated TV series thus far, but probably will buy the seasons when they are available to buy.

I can suggest a few things, but if you want, we're talk about that here: The Game Master Group

13. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    I have started a new RPG about a Clone Wars mission to save a planet. I really like the idea, and you are allowed to be a Seperatist, a clone trooper, or even General Grevious. Only three Jedi are left up for grabs.

14. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
  15. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Any fans of the action movies of the 80ies and 90ies? Two fans there are and we´ll start an attempt to recruit some more for a game, soon . . . so if there is interest, please feel free to think about which action hero of your childhood you always wanted to play . . . and soon you´ll get your chance to do it.

This guy thought is reserved. :p

[image=http://www.zastavki.net/pictures/1024x768/2008/Games_John_Woo_005254_.jpg]

16. TheGoodImperial

TheGoodImperial Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2009
    Oh, 80ies action. I might be tempted there.

So, I saw a recruiting discussion go on, in here. May I also ask here (also did in the GMG) how do I get to recruit players? Have there been any more or less successful strategies, so far?

17. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    For recruiting players, I'll post the game first, send out PM's to my core group of friends here at TFN to advertise the game (with the link to the game), and then wait. As the game goes on and we need more players, I'll post in threads like this one, the social thread in the Star Wars RPF, the newbie forum, and the Game Master Group. :) And recently, I just had our main title edited by a manager to reflect that we're always taking new players.

18. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Since I saw that question I have given it some thought. It came up later in the GMG, I believe and even GDG gave it a shot. How do you advertise games? Well, that´s actually an art of it´s own. So, I took what others wrote about it, my own ideas and some common sense and have written about it an Philosophy article. Soon available in the philosophy guild.

I just wonder . . . as a general term of discussion: What amkes a good adervertisment for you, as a player! What catches you eye? What keeps you waiting for a release?

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I personally like to see a trailer, perhaps a subtle social thread post or two, maybe an invitation PM, not much else. There's a point where bombarding the social threads gets annoying fast, I don't like months and months of prerelease hype (Though I've only seen that in a few instances), and multiple PMs are the worst. Obviously I don't factor in a GDG post either way since that's designed to garner feedback and constructive criticism and is not purely an advertisement.

That said, I check every new game that comes out, and I think a lot of other people also do that. Therefore the best thing you can do, IMO, is to have your OP sell itself.

20. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I always liked the invitation PM's. Those were a good way to advertise, in my opinion. They always grabbed my attention and I always felt like I had to read the game whether I had time or not. And yeah, I agree with ramza on the last point made. New posts stick out to me because they do not have the extra link so I tend to read them whenever posted. So, if an opening post is good, then it will definitely make me want to join.

Then there is also the name of the GM. Not going to lie, there are certain people around whose games I will always want to join because their game design is that good.

Another thing is signatures. A link in a signature tends to catch my eye and if there is a creative line accompanying it, then I will usually check it out.

21. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I like a short teaser in the Introduction Service thread, followed by a link when the game comes out.

I don't know why people don't use that thread more often. There's no conversation or discussion to act as clutter, it just gets straight down to business, so your post has a better chance of being noticed.

22. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    The Introduction thread and some nice hints here and there . . . a piece of quality work to tease me . . .

Or a great game coming out of nowhere. No build up. Suddenly it´s there and it´s amazing!

23. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Continuing the System Lords discussion started over in the GDG...

I'm not sure what criticism you're referring to, Fins. This is the first time I have heard any. There was one person who volunteered to take System Lords the last time around, and he'd never run a successful game of his own, let alone one the size of SL.

You know the appeal of franchises, you talked about it recently in your piece in the Philosophy thread. I don't think it would have been fair to hand it over to just anyone who wanted it. System Lords was one of the most successful and recognisable franchises in the RPF. We don't know what the original creator's wishes were because he'd left the boards. Sith_Lords was the serving steward and he agreed with IH's decision on the matter.

I'm afraid I don't see it, Despised. What other games have been cannibalized? I can't think of any examples.

24. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Thanks for moving it over here, Wing! Much appreciated.

Just a quick modly chime-in on the discussion, Peng and I will uphold I_H's decision to keep the System Lords franchise protected. This is also in line with what Sith_Lords said, which is that he thought the SL franchise should be taken over by a veteran of those games. That's not to say nobody can make a SL game any more, ever - it isn't exactly 'off-limits' - just that whoever wants to do it should demonstrate they have a good handle on the spirit and mechanics of System Lords and will treat it with the care it deserves.

Say what you will about the mechanics of SL - its flaws, whatever - it's a long-running strategy game series with several incarnations to date, and that's something special. It holds a special place in people's hearts. If you want to run a SL game you have to be prepared to accept that.

You're free to draw inspiration from it and create your own type of strategy game, though. Just don't call it "Planet Kings" and paste the exact same ship stats and you'll be fine. :p

Are you referring to the ABYverse? I believe Sinre created it explicitly to allow a multitude of loosely-connected games to be run in a shared universe.

25. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Actually I did not wanted to start a discussion. But only rcalled what I experienced back then. Don´t know where it was voiced, but it was. I was not passionate about it. I hate these kind of games, never get mysellf into them. Great GM work, yeah, but not my cup of tea. But "declaring" a franchise and protect not only the name, but the system itself . . . that was kinda brutal. And I remember a few people thinking that way.

No doubt nobody can make System Lord V but it´s original creator. If anything I wrote can be read different, sorry. Neither could anybody use the plot, without agreement. But the system? Turn-based games in space with a cost list? Protected and forbidden to use?

Sure, I bet the GM who wanted to do a new game back then would have bitten of more, than he could chew. We both know that, Winged. But didn´t we all do that once?
    If he would have created a game and if he would have gotten enough players to sustain it (big if - would anybody have joined?), I think he would have deserved a shot. A lesser known philosophy entry of mine once defended the right of GMs to fail with games. But we had to protect the Legacy of System Lord by creating a sub-group of people who owned the right to do it? No similiar OPs allowed? Not only use the name, but the system itself? I thought that was really a little deep cut into the right of players to develop thier own ideas.

The GM who wanted to do it back then was not the only one, interested. Someone (I truly dunno who) approached a GM who was working on a CIV game back then. And asked if he would do SL instead. Reimagining it, so to say. He was interested. He is pretty well-regarded until today. And I think he would have been perfect for it. But never voiced interest in public. Because he did not fulfill the criteria. And therefore was in the position to be "forbidden" by law to proceed with the idea in the first place. Isn´t that a little strange? If one does another CIV with spaceships, would that be too close to SL and fall under that rule?

As I said, never a passion of mine this discussion. But I thought it was a little strange this door was shut for future generations. And the decision is bound to become one of few over many in the years to come . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.