main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rpg in the Forums

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ben_Skywalker, Aug 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    Role Playing Games. The current Jedi Council Forums.

the two just dont mix right now. recently there was a huge armada of RPG threads created in the Expanded Universe Community and was extremely frowned upon by few. as usual the admins got involved and ordered the creation of all rpg threads in the EUC to come to a halt. But, we were redirected by some people to go post in the rpg threads in the games:rpg forum. which then again was locked because the current rpg forum is only for upcoming console and pc rpg games.

so i am asking the administration and starting a petition for an entirely separate RPG'ing forum to be created so the fear of our threads being locked doesnt exist. thanks for your time :)

2. Storm5

Storm5 Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2000
    I agree. :)

3. nithrak_tewl

nithrak_tewl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I agree with Ben, however I would like to suggest another alternative for consideration. Based on poll results in the EUC, it seems amenable to all users if there was 1 single RP thread to be used by all.

The basic situation is that Ben, FID, and a few others wanted to start a forum wide RP in the EUC, but it got out of hand with useless threads being posted. We actually did contain most of the RP interaction in one thread, but it was included in the wholesale closing of RP threads. We would like to have 1 RP thread in the EUC, it would be clearly labeled as "The OFFICIAL EUC RP Thread" or something similar, and all other RP threads that are opened should be locked by the admins at their discretion.

This solution is amenable to all since:
    -The people who wish to RP would have a place in the EUC to do so, and would eliminate confusion because everything would happen in one place.

-The people who do not wish to RP would not be vexed by forum clutter, and a clearly labeled thread would prevent them from being subjected to RP if they do not wish to be.

4. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    or we can do that ;)

see the thing with a one thread rpg is that ppl tend to want their own thing. for example if someone wants to open up a shop/company, theyd want to show their customers what they have and the first page is the best place to put that kind of stuff. if it was in one thread then it'd get lost. so ppl create their own thread which is exactly what happened in the case of the EUC. but im sure we can solve that. maybe have an ezboard with the list or something like that?

5. Shedao15

Shedao15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    I support Ben wholeheartedley on this issue.

6. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    I would like to show my support as well...

7. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Question: What thread/s were locked in the RPG forum? The are only three locked threads there in the first 50 threads. One is a redundant poll. One I have no idea about. And the other was locked by it's creator.

8. howlrunner22

howlrunner22 Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 1998
    RPG threads are completely acceptable IMO. In fact, I don't even mind them in the Fan-Fiction forums where the first RPG threads were. =)

Okay, I may be biased because of my Cantina heritage, but this is just one moderator's views.

9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I did not lock that thread in the RPG forum. I dont know how it got locked.

10. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    I totally agree too! :D

11. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    the RPG forum is for the D20 and WEG rpg games.

The "rp" topics are closer to pass around fiction and therefore more appropriate for the fanfiction board.

12. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    You again. *sigh*

Then what the hell is the point of having a RPG forum if you CANT RP in it? From the looks of things, I dont think it would even bother the LARP players with RP threads. Forum is so kriffin slow, my grandmother could walk the circumfrence of the earth 100x before the next post!

13. bterrik

bterrik Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2001
    I also support ben in this.

14. sacul-1138

sacul-1138 Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 9, 2000
    hmmm interesting.

15. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    it's not role-playing if there aren't any dice.

16. bterrik

bterrik Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2001
    DL, how do you plot that course? ROLE-playing means you play a role, in a story or game or whatever. ROLL-playing would be with dice...

17. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    in a story or game. If there is dice then it is a game. there is an element of win or lose. no dice, no game, it must be a story, therefore fanfiction. you can't argue with that logic.

18. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    And when do stories have a set of rules for people to follow? *arches a brow*

What do you call Chat Style RPs then? A story too? They dont have dice but you Role Play a game none the less

Your logic, DL, has holes in it.

There are three types of Role Playing Games.

Chat Style
    Msg Board Style
    Live Action Style

The first two are done over the internet and cant be done with dice, thus the set of rules and an appointed Game Master moderates the game to make sure everyone follows the rules.

The third, well you obviously know what the third one is so I wont explain.

19. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Having been involved with forum/chat based roleplaying before, I tend to think of these types of roleplays as 'interactive fan fictions' so to speak.

I have to also disagree with DL's comment concerning the neccessity of dice for a roleplay. Roleplaying is first and foremost about the playing of a role. Things like dice, rules etc. are merely the extra that help people play that role.

But enough on that. The definition of 'roleplay' is not what this thread is about. :)

I haven't been paying much attention lately to the goings-on of the current RPG threads, but I would support a final location where they can take place. I might even join in if I ever get some time. :)

20. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I never chose a side in the EUC-RP fiasco, so Im not biased. CmdrMitsubishi and co. are right. RPG is the best place for the reasons above.

Just an un-biased view.

21. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    whether or not RPG needs dice, we're looking for a forum at tf.n that is only for RPG style threads.

is this request remotely being considered by the admins or something? it'd help alot if someone would respond about the rpg threads future

22. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    use the fanfiction forum for pass-around stories.
    You guys just admitted above that's what these are. Everybody takes a turn writing a different part.

23. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    rpg's are more than just stories. and rpg's arent just pass around stories you can tell. it has a certain and different angle from fanfic stories. and besides, fanfiction should be kept at just stories.

if we were allowed to set up rpg threads there, people would probably swamp that forum with rpg threads and keep the written stories from being read.

24. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    You guys need a die? Just make a Javascript to do it, and show everyone the results based on the logged action, or whatever. Simple to do.

25. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    we dont need dice for online rpg. i dont know where that idea came from

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.