main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rpg in the Forums

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ben_Skywalker, Aug 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yun-Yuuzhan

Yun-Yuuzhan Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
  2. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    I'm pro-RPG board.

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "I'm with you too!"

4. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    I am all for a rp forum, provided that the rules are set out for all to see and understand.
    Allow me to further elaborate on that general statement,

First of all, I'll refer to forums.dumpshock.com . This place is where you will find one of the few succesful places where online rp'ing is done via maessageboard. If you need an example of how things should be run then this is the place.

What sort of rp'ing do you want a new forum for?

The sort where people generate characters, then dive into a thread to roleplay. With threads that might continue for months on end between only 5-10 people posting in it.

I'll refer to some of the threads in the Runs & Run Ideas Section at forums.dumpshock.com. Some of these threads have run for four months or more, yet in game time have progressed only so far as everyone meeting each other, getting a job and a car and deciding what to do next.

Do the people who post at the JC have that kind of stamina? I doubt it

Or the sort of casual stuff that seems to be the go at the moment, including all the defence forces, as well as ff Community, which I suppose has some of the more crazier rp threads in it.

You don't need stamina for that, and is best classified as good wholesome fun on the most part.

The casual stuff is easily held back to one or two threads in each forum.

The more intense stuff is an altogether different experience, and is the only reason a new forum should be created, to allow the few diehard people who want to roleplay to go there and roleplay.

As far as dice is concerned, check out a few of the threads over at dumpshock and see how they deal with it. And besides if it's a casual roleplay thread, dice would have nothing to do with it.

And another thing, if theres a new forum to be made, ensure that it is followed closely, as it one place where crazy things can happen, as we have all seen before.

The only other alternative is to recommend that anyone who wants to roleplay find a site that allows that sort of stuff and go there.
    At least it would be a result, not the result that anyone wants, but a result nonetheless

If you've followed all i've written and made sense of it, give yourself a silver star

5. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I'm for a dedicated RPG board providing it was properly co-ordinated and controlled by the administration.

RP's can be fun and can help to form a great sense of community between many users. I used to RP in the Jedi vs. Sith threads in JCC when I was quite new, before they died out (quite a few months ago now).

I also think there is a market for it at the JC, judging by the people showing support who do not frequent the fan club-based RP's over in EUC.

But as Tek said, there should be a set of rules laid down from the beginning, clear to all users who enter the board. RP often involves "fighting" of sorts and it's easy enough for users to hold a grudge which can lapse into flaming/trolling if not kept in check. :)

6. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    And that's definitely ...not what were looking for.

Unless some someone says as part of an in character discussion, in which case there has to be a ruling made about that sort of stuff

so lay out the rules and you'll be amazed how smoothly things can be run

7. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Okay, I think there may be enough support for this.

Now the question is...should I just create the forum to see if it'll be as popular as we hope, or should we draft a set of rules first?

We may not have a moderator for that forum, and I'm not sure if we'll have enough members to pick one at first, so if I create this, it'll have to be moderated by its members for a while. Things we'll really have to look out for are flaming that may result from people taking the game too seriously and spamming.

Thoughts?

8. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Get the rules in place before setting the forum up.

Then if there need to be changes fine, but without rules it's going to be chaos.

9. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Absolutely.....rules must come first. :D

If all the regular members know what the rules are and stick to them, then newer members coming in shouldn't have any trouble picking them up quickly before joining in.

There must be a clear distiction made between what is acceptable posting (eg: blatant flaming is not acceptable just because you might be role-playing in the new RPG forum) and what kind of posting is allowed (especially in regards to redundancy and spam/advertising in other threads).

Judging from what Nate said earlier, there will be alot of responsibility on the users to regulate themselves initially and it will be much simpler to do if there's a set of rules for everyone to go by ;)

10. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Now, I don't have the time to draft a set of rules. If one of you is willing to do so, you have my grattitud!

Here are the two things that I need...

1. A set of clearly defined rules to look over and modify and/or accept, as is appropriate.

2. The cooperation of the members of this forum. Specifically, they must alert us to any problems that may arise in the new forum.

If you guys can meet these two simple qualifications, the forum is yours! :)

Also, this forum has to actually be used. If it isn't very popular and pretty much dies in a couple of months, I'll remove it to save board space.

Will that be satisfactory?

11. Master_JoshuaWindu

Master_JoshuaWindu Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2001
    ok, here is a rough draft of rules. Any suggestions, as to additions to it, are welcome:

JCC RPG Forum rules v1.0

Q: What kind of RPG's are allowed in the forum?

A: any kind, excluding ones with lewd content

Q: are social threads, and defense forces allowed?

A: yes, in a way, they are just RPG's in a bigger scale. The purpose of them, though, isnt to hound other posters. They are to have fun

Q: how do i set up my character?

A: its up to the individual creater of an RPG. Some like the set up certain ways, the most popular being

NAME: [your characters name here]

POSITION (or role): [your desired position, ie Jedi, bounty Hunter, Imperial]

WEAPONS: [your desired weapons here, ie lightsaber, blaster, thermal detonator]

INFO: [background info on your character. Makes the game fun]

Q: can i use a SW character, or any other in a book, or show, in and RPG?

A: no, using them would upset continuity, using a made-up character is much more fun. Though, some can use real characters to further the plot, they can't be used as your personal player

Q: how do i play?

A: just post your actions, ie "Nathan moved to the left, and avoided the Sith's lightsaber"
    then, wait for a reply like "the Sith lunged backwards, bringing his saber to bear, and swung low, and fast"

Q: Can i fight with an enemy (in the RPG) when he is not around?

A: no, all fights, must be consented to by both parties

Q: How long do i wait in between turns in an RPG?

A: no time limit (except posting limit), with the exception of a battle. All players, in a battle, must wait for your opponent to post a reply, before making another attack

Q: is there a limit on forces i can have in a game?

A: no, but it certanly wouldnt be fair to other players. And it would throw the balance of the RPG off

Q: when can i kill my opponent

A: there have been problems with this in other RPG's, you can only kill your opponent when he is online, and you have engaged in battle. not until

and a few other things

-no holding grudges with players outside of the RPG you play in

-if you get killed, start another character, and continue with the RPG

-No, absolutely NO flaming, towards others.

-no trolling, the forum is for RPGing only, no trolling whatsoever

-no swearing

and the biggest rule of all is to HAVE FUN

12. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    Another few suggestions

1: There is a big sign on the door to the forum that says "The GM, mods and all other minor or major deities are always right, excepting your being hit in the head by a snowball thrown by a demon".

2: Any problems may be referred to part 1, very simple setup there...

3: Act responsibly at all times.

4: If in doubt refer to rule 1

5: The person who creates a thread is up to a certain point, responsible for what happens inside that thread. This is mainly for the smaller threads, for the larger threads (say a defence force, with three or four squadrons) the people in that thread who regard themselves as the leaders are responsible. Refer to the way threads are run over at forums.dumpshock.com for a better understanding of what I mean

6: Redundant threads are not desirable, therefore do not keep +1'ing old threads that have expired. Unless the original members of that thread want to get reinvolved.

7: you have been warned, twice

Just one q to the powers that be, should all roleplaying be moved there, so all the defence forces get moved there, including the FF community people (like me), or have the stuff that keeps getting bounced around due to conflicts and the stuff moved there
    just one thing i'm not sure on...

13. Master_JoshuaWindu

Apr 21, 2001
    i think that all Defense Forces, should be moved to the new forum

as well as ongoing RPG's

and, we should make it clear that all RPG's and defense forces/social RPG's moved to the new forum as well

14. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    And then lock them in the forum and throw away the code!

bwahahahaha!

oh, sorry. You know if we want them to decide on rules perhaps we should get more of them in here to do it?

15. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    After reading ND's above posts about startup of such a forum, i'd say expand my suggestion about the person who creates a thread.
    So
    The person who creates a thread is expected ( to a large degree) to be in control of what happens (excepting flaming trolls, and suchlike), even after a evilGM (person in charge) is introduced, so as to lighten the load off that person. In larger threads, the people who regard themselves as the leaders are those in charge.

And the gm is always right

16. Master_JoshuaWindu

Apr 21, 2001
    im not to saavy in this "dumpshock" form of RP'ing, but i have no idea what a GM is

and, i checked out there setup. They are a little more complex than ones that ive played.

the rules we set up, seem to cover all bases

17. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    Sorry bout that, dumpshock is the name of the forums for the rpg known as shadowrun,
    gm stands for game master, or the guy / gal who tells the story of which the players are involved

after a while you'll tell the difference

18. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    i don't like the idea for moving all the defense forces into the new forum. The purpose for a defense force is to defend a certain movie against bashers who bash it. ranks, position, and etc are just there to make it alittle more interesting. DF arent there to roleplay. therefore all the defense forces in the JC dont qualify to be RP.
    IMO :)

besides, can you honestly tell me that ANY of the defense forces in the JC roleplay seriously? all of them are basically social threads with the exception when the movie is actually being bashed which also isn't roleplay.

EDIT 1:spelling
    EDIT 2:spelling
    EDIT 3:spelling
    EDIT 4:forgot to correct EDIT 3's spelling

[face_blush]

19. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    heres a set of rules that i revised using Tek and M_JW's set of rules. tell me what you guys think....

RULE
    1. Must..Have..Fun
    2. The usual, no flaming, no trolling, no spamming, no swearing, and absolutely no lewd content.
    3. Don't be cheap (ex. dont say you created 10 deathstars to go destroy the imperials. think realistically((sp?)))
    4. No fighting or killing characters when they are not online and/or without their consent
    5. If you die, don't panic. you can always come back with a new character
    6. If you are fighting someone, you must wait for them to respond to your previous post before making a move. If he/she does not respond within an hour, it should be automatically declared that he/she has retreated from the battle
    7. If you don't know how to play, read other peoples post and get the feel of it. It is discouraged for new comers to try to run when they haven't learned how to walk.
    8. this really should not be a rule so it is merely encouraged that you shouldn't form grudges with people you're RPing with outside the forum. afterall, part of the purpose for posting on a message board is to form a community.
    9. Did I mention that you should try to have fun and not take RPing too seriously?

whats wrong with me?! why do i keep editing the friggin post? ?[face_plain]

20. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Just a few thoughts on the format of the RP's.

One big problem that we had was as stated above, people being cheap...Zaarin..cough..cough.. and creating expansive fleets and/or not allowing their chracter to be harmed or lose in any way.
    Two solutions that can work concurrently.

1) All leaders of factions eg. Imperial Navy, RA, YVDF etc. are to arrange between themselves the basis for battle scenarios, and create the thread for such battles. in such a thread, all actions are to be taken under the direct orders or supervision of leaders or creators of individual groups/factions. those leaders are responsible for the legitimacy of moves, outcomes and strengths.

2) for each battle, or perhaps for the forum overall, an independent member is allocated as 'proxy-moderator' of the battle. their purpose is to ensure all movements are fair, and all actions are taken in occordance with rules. e.g. if a member wants to launch a suprise attack or ambush, he must inform this member of his intentions and why he thinks his character/ships are in a position to do so. The proxy-moderator then decides if it is a legitimate oppurtunity being acted upon, and therefore how effective the attack will be. Also, if their are any disputes, then our proxy-moderator will decide/decree the outcome of a particular skirmish.

NOTE: it would be my hope that we can have multiple people mature enough to share the burden of such a task, and to help moderate their own battles. As my character is the Director of Intelligence, i see some merit in having the Intel agencies of respective groups act in the capacity of mods for battles.

I realise these rules cant apply to all aspects of RPing, but the major RP was concerning such a 'EUC Civil war', and such a structure would lead to a far more organised and enjoyable RP.

thanks for your time, and I of course throw my unconditional support behind a RP Forum.

21. Jace_Halycron

Jace_Halycron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2001
    So, wouldn't the RP rules we use at AJ's site work at the Rp Forum as well?

Add to Bens:
    No god-moding.

22. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    In any case, it should go in the Fan Activities or Community section.

The Rules:
    1) Usual board conduct rules apply. No cursing, lewd content, etc. Keep it clean.
    2) The Game Master is God within the thread. His rules for the game apply. If any dice are to be rolled, he gets to role them (unless he decides otherwise).
    3) The RPG forum is not restricted to Star Wars RPG?s (this is why it might be better to have it in community).
    4) Social lounges are allowed, however, no more than one social lounge for each RP thread.

23. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    There most be a clear set of rules like Nathan said. And I do agree that there should be a forum. But the other thing is there has to be a mod or admin who can look over this forum and keep a close eye be an overall GM for the whole forum. There are a clear set of rules over in my thread which can be viewed if you look at my most recent posts under my personal bio page thingy.

The only problem with this is the fact how can you bring in new RPGer's from currant boards if you have a board set up specifically for it. That is why I always set my RPG up in the JC Community forum because we can always bring in new people and not get frowned on by people because there are many different types of forums in the JC Community as it is.

But that's the only thing I can add to list is having an admin keeping a close eye on the new forum at all times. Someone who knows RPG rules and will be fair to everyone playing. Because it's only the right thing to do.

~PK~

24. Daala

Daala Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 1999
    I support the idea of a RPG forum also. :D

25. bterrik

bterrik Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2001
    WAHOOOO!!!! A new RP forum. Only one thing.

I dont think the defense forces should have to move. Half of their ability comes from being a deterant, being in the forum and all. People may begin to forget when they are shoved into the closet. In this situation "stiking from a hidden base" might not be such a good idea. And people need to know where to find us.

bterrik

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.