main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RSA's message and request for CR nominations

Discussion in 'Archive: South' started by halibut, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    As I said on the main board, this is a blank page, a new beginning. And I want to see all chapters thrive - that is of course if that's what the chapter wants.

I have ideas on getting new membership etc, but I need a CR to work with. I cannot do everything for all 6 chapters on the board. The more new members we can get, the more meet-ups we can arrange, and the more friends we can make.

So perhaps I should clarify what I believe the role of a CR is. This is what I told the Powers that Be when approached for the RSA role

"Some have said the CR should be a "leader", others have stated that the only role of the CR is to be a "communicator". Neither of these are true. A CR's job is to guide the chapter, and to organise local meet-ups. It is the CR's responsibilty to be the first and only point of contact with outside groups, when it comes down to a chapter's presence at a local event. It makes things easier all round. A CR is NOT just a "posting boy". It is a person chosen by the group to represent their best interests, and as such it is vital for a potential CR to lay out from the start their vision for the group. If they don't, an election is ultimately meaningless. The RSA is there to guide them and assist them where needed. The RSA is not there to dictate things or take over. If an RSA cannot trust a CR, then there is a problem. Personally I don't have a lot of experience with organising meets, but I do know there are people here whom I can trust to do that. There are also a lot of people that I know will help and guide me when needed. That's an advantage of being here for 7 years."

I need a CR whom I can trust to take an active role in recruitment - whether it be contacting comic shops and universities, or organising flyers. A CR really must want the best for the chapter's future, and not just want a pretty blue name.

Some of the chapters are really floundering at the moment, and there really is no need for it. All it takes is a couple of people to spend a weekend working on the chapter, doing practical things like letter sending, or researching addresses, and we can really get this place booming again.

So if you think you're the person, post your name here with an indication of where you see the chapter now, where you want it to go, and how you can help that.

I am anxious to get this sorted ASAP, so none of this "2 weeks for nominations, 2 weeks deciding, and 2 weeks voting".

Just get those names in!!!

2. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Um, sorry Hal, but we've only had two meets. We don't qualify for a CR yet :p

3. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Ok, well let's call it a CR-in-waiting.

If the people in the south want to get things moving forward, and get more members etc, then I need someone to work with :)

4. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I've spoken to the Powers that be, and they seem happy for you guys to appoint a CR, as long as you get your 3rd meet done within approx a month from then.

Guys, I can't help you unless you want to grow. If we don't start moving forward, we may end up losing the chapter and having to start afresh.

Please, just someone contact me - someone who's willing to put some time and effort into getting things going :)

5. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Our next meeting will be either the Bath/Bristol meet (which I'm not sure if we ever decided) or Collectormania. Collectormania is at the beggining of May, so... yeah, make of that what you will.

I wouldn't mind being blue and CRly, but I seem to have quite a bit of work to do at the moment concerning getting into Uni. So, probably not. The other contenders would probably be moose and marte, though I'm not sure how much longer marte's here for (or here for good. My memory sucks.) and moose is quite busy with Uni, if her comments in the VMS thread in the JCC are anything to go by.

6. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Collectormania is fine for the 3rd meet, so it would be great to get stuff sorted by then.

7. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Yes, Cobra is quite correct, I'm pretty busy with uni. I have two lots of coursework this semester plus some other coursework that was deferred from last semester. I'd check for more details but the uni's student portal seems to be down. As most of my work is computer based I should still be able to do things that are web based, I can't comment on real world commitments until I know more.

8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Ok, is anyone interested in doing some online research for me? Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. If so, PM me :)

9. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    What does it consist of? :p

10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Finding names and addresses of all the Universities in your chapter

11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Bueller?............Bueller?..............

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Does this still need to be done?

13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'll see what I can do when I get some spare time. I have two lots of group work this term though so I can't say when it'll be done. With any luck I'll still have a UCAS map somewhere which will make things a lot easier. I'll ask my dad in the morning.

15. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I'd nominate Glen, he's been around for a while and I think he would be a good CR. as for me, I'm currently trying to get my contract extended, which would mean I would stay here a little longer.

I've put up flyers here in PL a while ago (when we first hat the flyer contest, remember?) but nothing really came of it.

16. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    As I said before, I've got no time :p

17. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Howdy guys. Any updates on the "Who Wants to be a CR?" game yet? ;)

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'll have plenty of time after June, not sure if I'll make a good CR though.

19. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Actually, after observing your organisation of the Portsmouth meet, I think you would make a good CR, moose.

But, it isn't up to me, or hal ;) It all depends on who the South want as their CR. If anyone wanting to go for it is unsure of what ideas a potential CR should have, I'd recommend you look at the last CR election manifestos in the North. All four of the candidates had good, clear ideas on what they felt being a CR was all about.

Obviously the South will have different priorities to the North, but the idea behind a CR is the same. Getting the chapter active on both the boards and in real life, building up a real friendship between current members, and attracting new ones to join the family.

20. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    And bringing pie. Don't forget the pie [face_plain]

21. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Do they have pies in the South? [face_mischief]

22. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    They have pasties, pasties are good.

23. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    But they just ain't pies... [face_shame_on_you]

:p

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    True.
    But why do you think the South would not have pies?

25. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Dunno. Pies just seem like a Northern thing :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.